Caldy/Seacombe

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

Tom
Super Poster

Caldy/Seacombe

Postby Tom » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:04 pm

Sunday, fished 2.5hrs up at Caldy.

I've not really tried here before, but seeing the report of a few Flounder gave me confidence to try it out.

I used scraggly frozen blowlug/black lug on two hook flapper.

At first it was huge balls of weed which was a bit of a suprise and the wind was a bit wild. But I stuck too it!

Later as the tide roared in with the night, I landed my first ever Caldy fish! A little Whiting within 15mins of casting :dance:

Thankfully found wind shelter on a rock for a seat making the venue more appealing. Soon after next cast another Whiting. Wonder if anyone has had a Codling off here?

Then after not blanking and it beginning to freeze, packed up with goal ticked off :thumbsup:

Tonight fished 2hrs up, 1 down, further down from the Ferry.

Arrived a little late due to traffic. Cast from 10-40yds throughout the session to try and find a Codling.

Using pre made lug n mack combos on a 5/0 pulley pennel.

About 20mins in came a Whiting and a few more during the flood.. but no more luck after the turn.. ideally I should have had a two hook flapper on the carp rod on the side about 10yds out.

I did manage to weave out a huge snag in return for the effort came in a Gemini lead :D

Besides me, four other anglers were on the Dabs and Whiting.. but was pretty slow for all it seemed, but expected this time of year :santa:

Piotrek
Super Poster

Re: Caldy/Seacombe

Postby Piotrek » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:26 pm

You had a nice session to :clap:

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:30 pm

Blowlug does not freeze at all.Goes to mush.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Caldy/Seacombe

Postby Godders123 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:33 pm

A nice bit of rod knocking action. Just a shame the flounder and coddos didn't put in a shame.
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

Tom
Super Poster

Postby Tom » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:17 pm

I know that to be true but I did some reading about it, turns out use-able if you freeze very quickly.

If you set live unsqueezed blow lug (big ones) on your newspaper and then drop a sheet of clingfilm on top, sectioning them off individually, then once wrapped I foil them for a fast freeze. It seems to fish pretty well, only close in casting on a high tide. Have had micro plaice, micro cod, rockling, flounder, and whiting take it, fish a cast, on the carp rod at Vale Park in September.

Also worth doing if you pre-make baits with elastic, then freeze them.. keeps the mack going for a bit longer.
A plate does the business really quick :thumbsup:

Tom
Super Poster

Postby Tom » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:29 pm

After those sessions I'm changing focus to the Pike :love:

A twitched frozen Sprat is apparently the bees knees.. So maybe me and Piotrek might have a report up on that, see what pans out :thumbsup:

gilly111
Obsessed Poster

Postby gilly111 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:47 am

That looks like black lug :thumbsup:
2015 kayak fishing
Watch this space

Tom
Super Poster

Postby Tom » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:16 pm

This is the only example I had, I freeze yellow tails, I think that's the most accurate name for the lug I'm on about

Tom
Super Poster

Postby Tom » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:18 pm

My mistake I thought yellow tails were adult blow lug this whole time :lol: learning curve lads :doh:

For those interested:

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/t ... ug.287991/

Ste Robbo
Regular Poster

Postby Ste Robbo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:58 pm

Well done on your first caldy fish! Had all my flounders on fresh crab the other night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 species- codling, whiting, dab, flounder, plaice, eel, doggie

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:59 pm

Tom wrote:This is the only example I had, I freeze yellow tails, I think that's the most accurate name for the lug I'm on about

Yellowtails don't freeze as well as blacks either but they are slightly better than blow.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Tom
Super Poster

Postby Tom » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:16 pm

Nice one Ste :thumbsup: Were you and your Dads Flounders on hardback or peelers?
-
Agreed Steve, they do break up easier than black lug.. but I like experimenting with my fishing and will try out the kettle thawing method next time and see if it really works :think:

Ste Robbo
Regular Poster

Postby Ste Robbo » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:29 pm

Tom wrote:Nice one Ste :thumbsup: Were you and your Dads Flounders on hardback or peelers?
-
Agreed Steve, they do break up easier than black lug.. but I like experimenting with my fishing and will try out the kettle thawing method next time and see if it really works :think:

Peeler crab mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 species- codling, whiting, dab, flounder, plaice, eel, doggie

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”