A bit of lbf at Moreton

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

iank
Obsessed Poster

A bit of lbf at Moreton

Postby iank » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:48 pm

I had to go to Moreton this morning so I thought I'd do a bit of lbf (light beach fishing) to make use of the journey and petrol. In line with light fishing I also decided to travel as light as possible and got the telescopic rod out again. Initially I thought I'd have a walk to dovepoint and fish an area that I've not fished for over 30 years but laziness and ready made rod rests with seats won the day......

I got there just before high and it was a bit cloudy over towards Liverpool...

Over slack water it was quiet but as the ebb started so did the bites......

Not bad Flounders. I didn't have scales with me but I'd guess about. 1 1/2lb which on light gear provided some good fun and pulled the rod down at times....

and a surprise guest....

Not bad fishing from a local easy access place. As I was just messing about I tried a home made urfe clip on 14lb mainline and 10lb fluorocarbon hook lengths with size 4 hooks and 2oz lead. The light gear/ rod / reel provided some good sport and I reckon it's got to be worth a try.

The bites were steady but as it was past my lunchtime the lure of a bacon butty or something similair had the strongest calling, I will however, be coming back to give it a try at some different stages of the tide.

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: A bit of lbf at Moreton

Postby Steve Duffy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:51 pm

Great result Ian. :clap: :clap:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:41 pm

Beltin Ian :thumbsup:
The Wrassewrangler

geddo
Obsessed Poster

Postby geddo » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:10 pm

Always good to try different tactics Ian, good result :thumbsup:

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:15 pm

Nicely done Ian
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

Ozzie
I never smile !

Postby Ozzie » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:49 am

Nice way to spend a few hours and catch a few fish

Willpower
Obsessed Poster

Postby Willpower » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:01 am

Making the most of your trip (and petrol) with some decent Flounder.

paramedic
Obsessed Poster

Postby paramedic » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:30 am

That's the way to go Ian :thumbsup:
fished Formby last week using a spinning rod, 10lb line, 1.5 oz lead, a few flatties like yourself and a couple of small silvers.....so easy, and great sport :dance:
Just accept it, you'll always have sand in your car !!

Szabs
Obsessed Poster

Postby Szabs » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:19 am

Good job Ian, could you please shed some light on what sort of rod is this telescopic one you used? I'm in Malaysia right now, my wife didn't let me bring my trusty Penn Overseas but promised that I can buy stuff there and store them at her parents house so whenever we come back for a holiday I could use that :) Cheers!

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:02 am

Szabs wrote:Good job Ian, could you please shed some light on what sort of rod is this telescopic one you used? I'm in Malaysia right now, my wife didn't let me bring my trusty Penn Overseas but promised that I can buy stuff there and store them at her parents house so whenever we come back for a holiday I could use that :) Cheers!

Hi Szabs

The telescopic rods are a funny thing, they have never really caught on in the uk but they are used extensively in some other countries. The one I'm using is a Kali Kunnan, a Spanish make that I bought in Fuerteventura, it's about 4m long and is supposed to cast over 100g but I tend to use it with 2oz (50g ish) as It's quite a soft rod with a through action. It also folds small enough to go in a suitcase.

Some of the Spanish and Italian companies do some great rods, I had a look at one of Tony Parry's off Jensen, I think it was made by artico, a telescopic boat rod that could be used with up to 250g, at two different lengths, that looks a cracker but I think they do other versions and I think he will be selling them. Another place that does telescopic and I've bought three from there is decathlon but the stock changes and we don't have one near us. I did buy one when I was last there, a small telescopic spinning rod and I've already had plenty of fish on it.The other two are 4 and 5m parabolic float rods, I have had a mullet on the smaller and it was great fun. I haven't used the 5m one yet and it was possibly a mistake as I bought it online then couldn't be bothered with the hassle of returning it when it wasn't quite what I thought but I intend to have a go for some bream and gar with it in the summer.

Hope that helps a bit and if you find anything let me know as its my little bee in the bonnet at present.
Last edited by iank on Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Szabs
Obsessed Poster

Postby Szabs » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:37 am

Hello Ian,

Cheers for the info, very helpful! I'm going to this place next week: www.tcetackles.com.my They do have the rods shown online but not the price... I'll have a look and let you know what I've found!

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:48 am

Some new names for me there but it looks interesting Szabs. I must admit when I go on holiday abroad I can spend far too long just looking at the different gear.

It's daft really as the big manufacturers do these telescopic rods for other markets but not ours. I remember in the early days of coarse pole fishing getting quite a bit of gear in France that just wasn't available here but I suppose it all adds to the holiday enjoyment.

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”