All Fished Out

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

zippie01
Obsessed Poster

All Fished Out

Postby zippie01 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:00 pm

Well after a 20 year gap, I decided to take up fishing again. The idea was to be a bit more relaxed after a heart attack in March (at age 44 !!!). Last night after a session at Llandudno Pier I was exhausted, although I would never complain about catching fish ;)
It was also a chance to test some new gear (second hand, but new to me). I had managed to bag myself an Anyfish Anywhere 6 & bait along with a couple of Abu multipliers a 6500 & 7000i (thanks Big Kev for the advice). I also took the fixed spool as I was sure to be multi rusty.
Stopped off at Rhos Point tackle shop to pick up some lug and peelers, then arrived at pier about 3 hours before high tide. Quite busy on the platform (it was a hot calm day), but I managed to squeeze in the left corner. Baited up a 2 hook flapper on the 6 & bait and 6500, took the first cast easy and lobbed it about 50 yards, success no birdy !!
It didn't take long for the first doggie to take hold of the lug and it was so smooth on the rod and reel, I'm already in love with them both ! My brother hooked into a lovely 1 1/2lb codling on peeler bait, so whilst I lobbed out the fresh lug ( a bit further this time as confidence was getting bigger :) ), I set up a clipped up pennell rig with peeler.
My second doggie took the lug again, and after bringing it in I swapped to the peeler.
It had been out about 5 minutes and I was baiting up the flapper rig when the rod went crazy ! I really didn't need to strike because whatever had taking hold was not letting go and was off like a shot ! I was trying to hold the rod and let the drag off a bit because I was worried of it snapping me. 15/ 20 minutes later and convinced there was a nice silver bullet on the end, I managed to get it right to the pier and it was still diving but then it showed on the surface and it was a lovely 6 1/2lb Starry Smoothound! (I was glad I'd purchased the last drop net from the pier tackle shop !)

This was shortly follwed by another starry about 5lb

A few more doggies and then a Common smoothy took the crab !

The next haul was a bit surprsing. It had quietened down on the platform so I put out my shakespeare tidewater with the 7000i both with clipped up pennell but with lug n mack. The 6 & bait rod went and it was heavy and a struggle but not much of a fight ! I pulled up 2 doggies on the pennell rig :o Whilst trying to de-hook these the other rod went and I pulled in a doggie and whiting on the pennell rig :shock:

The dark was really strting to take hold now and then another cracking bite on the 6 & bait. One more Starry Smoothy but a bit smaller.

A few more doggies another whiting and a codling as well as about 5/6 dropped fish (dodgy batch of hooks me thinks !) Left the tally at 17 fish and a knackered drive home at 1am (oh and the added bonus of no birdsnests !!!)

Am eager for the next outing now :D
2017:Whiting,Codling,Dab

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: All Fished Out

Postby Steve Duffy » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:06 pm

A fantastic session. :clap: :clap: As for hooks try Varivas big mouth bass from veals.Been using them for years and will not use anything else.Sharp,strong and will never let you down. :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

talkingbullhuss
Obsessed Poster

Postby talkingbullhuss » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:13 pm

Well done cracking result and good report ,I agree with Steve varivas big mouth extra best hook on the market , next to Kamazan b590 s. I use abu reels after swapping from pen 525 s and never looked back :thumbsup:
Sea fishing like a drug ................

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:18 pm

talkingbullhuss wrote:Well done cracking result and good report ,I agree with Steve varivas big mouth extra best hook on the market , next to Kamazan b590 s. I use abu reels after swapping from pen 525 s and never looked back :thumbsup:

Agreed Tim.Abu's are just a bit more user friendly compared to Penn's if you are just getting back into seafishing.Penn's need detuning somewhat.Even the Stig wears 2 crash helmets when he drives the 525's. :o
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

zippie01
Obsessed Poster

Postby zippie01 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:28 pm

Steve Duffy wrote:
talkingbullhuss wrote:Well done cracking result and good report ,I agree with Steve varivas big mouth extra best hook on the market , next to Kamazan b590 s. I use abu reels after swapping from pen 525 s and never looked back :thumbsup:

Agreed Tim.Abu's are just a bit more user friendly compared to Penn's if you are just getting back into seafishing.Penn's need detuning somewhat.Even the Stig wears 2 crash helmets when he drives the 525's. :o

Glad to hear that, as I was going to buy a 525 or 535 before big kev's advice on the Abu's !
It's my first ever report and I was worried I'd waffled a bit ha ha ha.

Am hoping to catch up with you guys at one of your league matches and hopefully sign up for the winter league. ;)

P.s. Thanks for the advice on the hooks ;)
2017:Whiting,Codling,Dab

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:52 pm

Great session laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....you`ll soon get the hang of the reels :clap: :clap: p.s i also use nothing other than Varivas big mouth hooks...can`t fault them.
Species 2017...Dogfish...Dab...Whiting...flounder...Bull Huss...Thornback ray...spotted ray...Bass

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:26 pm

Cracking session that Andy. :dance: 20 years lay off but the magic is still there it seems! 8)
Graham

2017 Species [17]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

paramedic
Obsessed Poster

Postby paramedic » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:09 pm

Great report....
Varivas? use nothing else :thumbsup:
Just accept it, you'll always have sand in your car !!

tatch1
Obsessed Poster

Postby tatch1 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:16 am

Well done fella you were certainly kept busy there a great session :clap: :clap: :clap:

JIMMYJIZZMO
i love cock

Postby JIMMYJIZZMO » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:45 am

Great report and pics mate,one of the best I've
Seen from the pier!!!!

Degs the 2nd
Obsessed Poster

Postby Degs the 2nd » Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:13 pm

Nice hounds mate :thumbsup:
Decent fish 2016- Conger 14lb-1,Huss 11lb-5,starry hound 10lb-7,smalleye 10lb-1

Adam Roper
Obsessed Poster

Postby Adam Roper » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:32 pm

Great stuff, some really good fish there for that venue :thumbsup:
2017 Species

Shacky
Team BLAS

Postby Shacky » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:36 pm

Excellent, Well Done :thumbsup: What an Explosive return, keep it up :clap:
2017 Species Hunt....Dab, Whiting, Rockling, Plaice, Flounder, Dogfish, Bass, Tope, Sole, Tub Gurnard, Turbot.

Crossbones
Obsessed Poster

Postby Crossbones » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:34 pm

Great report mate, good on you returning to fishing. You'd better be careful hanging round this forum though...the exictement sometimes can be extreme.. :bored: :lol:
Simon

morrow
Obsessed Poster

Postby morrow » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:55 am

Nice one mate love fishing the pier!

Caught my 1st hound on there and dog,huss,gurnard etc its a cracking mark
Species - Thornback Ray, Huss, Wrasse, Dogfish, Whiting, Mackerel, Flounder, Silver Eel, Dab, Pollock, Sea Scorpion, Common Blenny, Coalie , Rockling, Pouting, Conger Eel, Smoothound

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”