Time Flies at Valley

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

Bigun
Obsessed Poster

Time Flies at Valley

Postby Bigun » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:37 pm

Having managed to book the week of work, my plan was to get as much fishing in as possible weather permitting ! And the weather hasn't failed me 8). I have been talking to Godders over the last 9 months about my mission to bag a silver on the fly rod using a home tied fly and having fished Cymyran Beach (RAF Valley) last year I took a liking to the river running behind the houses and have commented about it many times, as this been the place i would go and target the prize.

So with this in mind and the weather perfect for salt water fly fishing ( no wind ) I headed over to the mark today to fish it an hour before high and down. After nearly ripping the bottom out of the motor getting down to the car park i got myself set up not knowing what to expect or with any expectations of catching but grateful l i was out fishing and had the river to myself.

I dusted down and set my old reservoir rod up a Cortland GR2 7/8# weight, with a sink tip line using 10lb leader around 12 foot long and a home tied salt water fly, with plenty of blue and silver flashes.

The first few casts and retrieves were trial and error with the tide now turned after missing the ebb, the line drifting round and past me in quick time so a change of casting distance ( 25 yrds ) and letting it work its way round steady out of the main flow using a short sharp retrieve helped settle my mind that i wasnt doing the wrong thing at the wrong time. Nothing was happening out in front of me so I cast down the bank about 5yards from the edge slowly keeping in touch with the line as it drifted towards me. The line went tight and I thought this is the first fly lost in the kelp / weed close in :( . I gave it a short tug and then it went tight and shot across me :o I'd hit into something but not knowing if it was a greedy Wrasse or something else. After a 15 minute tussle and my line out and now into the backing i managed to start getting the fish in towards me, using a reel without a clutch does make your heart pound !!

When it surfaced I was trembling with shock and excitement I'd done it, I'd bagged a bass on a fly, a home tied fly. So mission accomplished :D and tea sorted for tonight Not the biggest but a nice 1lb 13oz silver the first of many i hope.

[/img][/img]Image

I was joined by a elderly gent soon after with a spinning rod who was local and fished there for 60 odd years who passed on some very good information regarding the mullet that are there all year round and where to fish for them, so tomorrows session is already planned with the fly rod again, this time the target been the very illusive Mullet so i'm not expecting any joy.

[u]2015 Shore Species - Bass on the fly, Bass ( bait ),Mullet, whiting, dab, silver eel, Doggie, Starry Hound, Flounder,Pollock, Conger, Wrasse, Mackerel

talkingbullhuss
Obsessed Poster

Re: Time Flies at Valley

Postby talkingbullhuss » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:52 pm

Well done owdddd :dance: :dance: only fished there twice love the venue :clap:
Sea fishing like a drug ................

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:54 pm

Can`t beat that Sean laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,great result :clap: :clap: I may have met the old gent who fishes for the bass around there...he has an airator tub full of large prawns and has caught lots of good fish there.
Species 2017...Dogfish...Dab...Whiting...flounder...Bull Huss...Thornback ray...spotted ray...Bass

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:02 pm

After last years adventure on that track,i`ll be parking at the top and walking down in future. :help:
Species 2017...Dogfish...Dab...Whiting...flounder...Bull Huss...Thornback ray...spotted ray...Bass

Bigun
Obsessed Poster

Postby Bigun » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:09 pm

Big Kev wrote:After last years adventure on that track,i`ll be parking at the top and walking down in future. :help:

I won't be driving down it again Kev. It will be a case of scaling down the gear.
[u]2015 Shore Species - Bass on the fly, Bass ( bait ),Mullet, whiting, dab, silver eel, Doggie, Starry Hound, Flounder,Pollock, Conger, Wrasse, Mackerel

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:17 pm

Fantastic Sean. :clap: :clap:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:35 pm

fantastic work Sean :clap: :clap: :clap:

Pleased for you buddy :)
Kev

Adam Roper
Obsessed Poster

Postby Adam Roper » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:02 pm

Absolutely fantastic Sean, both in terms of your endeavour and the end result :clap:
2017 Species

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:20 pm

Belter of a result, well done yet again Sean :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nothing better than setting yourself an ambitious challenge and then achieving it...top dangling mate :dance: :dance:
Graham

2017 Species [17]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

Lee1
Super Poster

Postby Lee1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:27 pm

Great result :clap:

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Postby Shaun1118 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:34 pm

Nice fluff chucking Sean, cracking bass on the fly 8)

I dusted down my fly rod over the weekend and had some casting practice at the local park :lol:

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:55 pm

Superb result. First fly caught bass on a home tied fly, makes it all worthwhile :clap: :clap: :clap:

tatch1
Obsessed Poster

Postby tatch1 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:59 pm

Great stuff :thumbsup: got to take your hat off to that first have a go on a home made fly & mission accomplished top fishing Sean well done :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bobdeniro2
Obsessed Poster

Postby Bobdeniro2 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:22 pm

Great fishing and Excellent report and pictures :clap: :clap: :clap:
2017: Bass, Saddled Bream, Codling, Conger, Dab, Blue Finned Damsel fish, Dogfish, Silver Eel, Flounder, Plaice, Pollack, Pouting, Rockling, 3B Rockling, TB Ray, Long Spined Scorpion Fish, Whiting, Ballan Wrasse, Ornate Wrasse

morrow
Obsessed Poster

Postby morrow » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:14 am

This is awesome! Nice one Sean
Species - Thornback Ray, Huss, Wrasse, Dogfish, Whiting, Mackerel, Flounder, Silver Eel, Dab, Pollock, Sea Scorpion, Common Blenny, Coalie , Rockling, Pouting, Conger Eel, Smoothound

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”