Old Farts Do Fuerteventura

Post your fishing report and pictures in this section

Moderator: John Petersen

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Old Farts Do Fuerteventura

Postby Richie Fisher » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:59 pm

After much planning since December it was time for Ian and I to fly out to Fuerteventura for our fishing holiday, staying in Calleta De Fuste where Aram and his Gone Fishing shop are located. In 4.5 hrs we had gone from freezing to boiling! The weather was incredible as we drove the hire car to our destination.

After checking in to our hotel we walked across the beach-front to Aram's shop and introduced ourselves. We soon found that some of our gear would not be up to the job. Aram laughed as I told him I had 15lb braid on my plugging reel. We both ended up buying 35lb braid with 60lb fluro leader which wasn't the start we wanted as I was relieved of £35 and Ian £70. :?

After a beer or two we decided to fish what is known as 'the point' in Calleta, a very popular mark within walking distance.

It's worth mentioning that fishing in Fuerteventura is totally different than in UK. Unless you are fishing for the small reef fish, you could have many sessions of blanking immediately followed by a life-changing session! That's just the way it is here. It would be impossible to list who caught what regarding the small species, but suffice to say, we both caught a lot, and roughly the same fish. I was disappointed to find that we hadn't photographed more of these beautiful fish, but the fishing is so full-on that time is against you.

Black Damsel Fish

Scorpion Fish

Couch's Bream

Can't remember the name of this one I caught, but it's similar to a Parrot Fish

This is the most valuable fish on the island being the No.1 livebait... The Boga Fish

We decided to fish a beach recommended to us further south on the island the next day. A couple of days before, a couple of 20+ pound smoothies had been caught using whole sardine on a pulley pennel with 8/0 hooks. This was the beach where I had heard of 150lbs stingray and butterfly ray being caught. Unfortunately it wasn't to be our night and we blanked. We went back the next night and still didn't catch any leviathons but Ian caught an octopus which was about 2 to 3 pounds and I had some sport on light tackle catching bream about 20 yards out on size 12 hooks baited with prawn about the size of a pea.

We had arranged a boat trip which was to be one of the highlights of the stay, only to have our trip gazumped by some Germans who hired the boat for Blue Fin Tuna at 4 times the cost of our hire. This was very disappointing and we had to rethink our plans.

We headed to a ledge mark not far away from Calletta. This was a very popular mark because the rocks are flat, aren't slippery, and 6 feet into the water you are into 100 feet of depth of water in a channel. A lot of the island's major catches have been taken at this mark.

Surfcasting World Champion Joe Arch was fishing to our right and pulled in this cracking White Trevally of 15lbs.....(B'stard!! ;) :lol: :lol: )

Like I said earlier, most people were blanking including the locals, but then you see or hear of a great fish being landed somewhere, it's incredibly addictive fishing! Whist at this mark Ian missed a run on his float and struck too early and lost a good fish.

It wasn't all fishing, we consumed a very 'English Abroad' quantity of beer and grub. We sussed out marks and explored other towns etc. We also found a small place directly opposite the hotel which served ice cold beer in frozen glasses, and just for you Kev, we had great kebabs for 2 Euros!!

After consuming too much alcohol and food it soon became apparent that we are both capable of representing the country in the snoring world championship. :shock: I've never heard anyone snore like Ian, and he says the same about me. :badgrin:

We rearranged our plans and booked ourselves onto a boat from Corralejo at the top of the island (this is where I went from last December). We started fishing for Boga to use as livebait which would then be free-lined at a new mark where the water can reach 2,000 metres+ depth. There was a large swell and the boat would trough down and the corresponding swell was 15 feet higher than the boat! The skipper was having trouble with the anchor and the boat kept going side-on to the swell and I started to feel very nauseous :cry: Eventually it held and what followed I can only describe as extreme combat fishing from a small deck space. The 2 crew decided that they would rebait everyone's hook right in my space which made fishing difficult to say the least. I know Ian would like to comment on this so I'll leave it there!

Anyway the fishing was fast and furious with Black Fin Tuna and Barracuda the day's quarry. Unfortunately there was not time to photograph the fish before the crew had nabbed them off your line and thrown them in the well! Once fishing had stopped we were about to up anchor when suddenly the contents of my stomach decided to stay in the Canaries and I ground-baited the ocean :lol:

Feeling instantly much better on the return to port, we were handed fish to hold and the crew shouted 'Photo!'....... here's a selection...

I'm very concious of developing a reputation for 'the one that got away' :? .... but... on the last day we fished a new mark near to the point and I have a witness in Ian that my livebaited Boga got hit with the float disappearing only to find it bitten clean in half about 2mm away from the hook! Ah well..... next time eh?

All things considered we had a fantastic time, learnt loads about how to fish, and got away from the dreadful weather in the UK for a bit.

Would I return?.................... You bet!! :drool:
2018 Species
Dab Codling Whiting Poor Cod Flounder Bronze Whaler Shark Spotted Gully Shark Smoothhound Lesser Sand Shark Kabeljou Steenbraas Galjoen Elephant Fish Barbell Plaice Pollock Thornie Ballan Eel Bass G Weever Palometa Bream Butterfly Ray

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Re: Old Farts Do Fuerteventura

Postby Shaun1118 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:19 pm

Brilliant, Ive been looking forward to your report looks like yous had a right laugh 8)

one last cast
Obsessed Poster

Postby one last cast » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:21 pm

wow fantastic report and pics with top weather fish and kebabs well done chaps:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:06 pm

Fantastic report, well done fella's.

Sun, bevies, fishing...it doesn't get much better than that!! :clap: :clap:
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

bigdave
Armchair Sea Angler

Postby bigdave » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:24 pm

Been just like that at perch rock and jag house la :roll:

Looks like you both had a Great time...Germans ey..even putting their towels on boats now :evil:
If I want your opinion, I'll ask you to fill out the necessary forms.

Hooknose King/ dab King/master archer/starry smooth hound (boat) king

www.merseysideanglers.com

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Postby Richie Fisher » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:02 am

Just remembered the colourful fish is called The Ornate Wrasse. I also caught a Puffer Fish (the non-dangerous one) which made a cute grunting sound and inflated like it's bigger cousin.
2018 Species
Dab Codling Whiting Poor Cod Flounder Bronze Whaler Shark Spotted Gully Shark Smoothhound Lesser Sand Shark Kabeljou Steenbraas Galjoen Elephant Fish Barbell Plaice Pollock Thornie Ballan Eel Bass G Weever Palometa Bream Butterfly Ray

steve@supreme
Regular Poster

Postby steve@supreme » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:21 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: cracking report Richie looks like you had a cracking time and a bit of a chill out away from this carp weather we have had in the uk :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
For a cracking days fishing from Rhyl all year round
check out http://www.supreme2.co.uk

talkingbullhuss
Obsessed Poster

Postby talkingbullhuss » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:30 am

Looks like u had a great time lads ... Good report as well Richie :clap: :clap:
Sea fishing like a drug ................

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:40 am

Good stuff boys. :clap: :clap:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Bobdeniro2
Obsessed Poster

Postby Bobdeniro2 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:08 am

Richie Fisher wrote:It's worth mentioning that fishing in Fuerteventura is totally different than in UK. Unless you are fishing for the small reef fish, you could have many sessions of blanking

Apart from the reef fish it sounds just like the Mersey :lol: Excellent report and pics, thanks, Mark :clap: :clap: :clap:
2018: Codling, Dogfish, Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Pollack, Rockling, Starry Smoothhound, Tope, Whiting,

niges123
Obsessed Poster

Postby niges123 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:51 am

Fantastic read and pictures Richie thanks for posting. What a great all round experience. God I hope the weather picks up here, I got 2 weeks off now and itchin to get out! I wonder what the missus would say to me spending a couple of days by myself in Fuerteventura?? :think: :think: P**s off springs to mind!! Great effort to you both.

Ian I'm thinking of gettin out in the Yak as soon as the weather picks up. PM me if your interested.
lots of whiting, poor cod,codling

bob
Obsessed Poster

Postby bob » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:01 am

good report and pics well done :dance:

Brian900
Obsessed Poster

Postby Brian900 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:21 am

Great report Richie. sound like you both had a great time and loads of fish :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:26 am

Great report Richie :clap: :clap: It certainly looks good sitting here watching it snow outside.

The area straight off the rocks is a species hunters paradise, I reckon we clocked up at least 15 different types. Most of them within a few metres. A 5/6 mtr whip fished to hand would bag up, bearing in mind that a Boga live bait is regarded as the premium bait.

Just before someone says I think the first photo was a purple fin damsel, we also had yellow fin ones.sometimes we would get a fish and think I've had one of them before so no photo taken only to realise later that it was a new species.

The possibility of catching a big fish is always present and we spent a large proportion of our time looking for just that with at least one but usually two sessions a day. The ones that got away :doh:
Richie had a great run on the float and came back with half a boga bitten off just below the hook. I had a lovely pull down on the float. I tried to heed the advice we had been given and waited, it came up then went for a second time. I struck at this and it was like hitting a brick wall. If it had been around here I would have thought I'd snagged but as it was 15 ft deep in over a 100 ft of water that wasn't likely. Unfortunately it then went slack.

The planned boat trip was a disaster and the one we went on left a bit to be desired. Some of you more experienced skippers might be able to tell me more but some of the things that happened certainly went against what I've been taught.

As Richie said the second mark was in a fairly big swell but every time we anchored he would take the boat broadside on and drop the anchor, which looked pitifully small, somewhere between midships and the bow, we would the have to wait for the boat to pull round before we fished.After the first drop we fished for a few minutes before the boat dragged the anchor. The same process was repeated loads of times within the next 30/40 mins each time unsuccessfully and at one time we even had the anchor line tied to a cleat at the stern causing the boat to face the oncoming swell the wrong way round, something it's not really designed to do.

The boat during this was mostly broadside on to the swell producing uncomfortable pitching and we lost a large proportion of our fishing time. When we did get fishing however it was electric, the tuna and barracuda stripping line.

The fishing style is very different and by the end of the week we were both feeling pretty confident of catching something good but time ran out. We were given and sussed out some good marks but it did take the week to learn and adapt. Next time we will get the biggy. If anyone is going that way and would like to benefit from what we learnt both Richie and myself would be only to happy to help.

Pm sent Nige

tony1
Obsessed Poster

Postby tony1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:40 am

cracking report and pics :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm off to lanzarote in May with wife and nipper, planning to smuggle a rod and bits in my case :dance: :dance: :dance:
Double knackered

Return to “Fishing Session Reports”