Best rig

This section is for all of your rig questions.How to make them...which rigs to use for a particular species or venue...which hooks and sizes are best....any general ideas/advice on rig making and their components.
gilly111
Obsessed Poster

Best rig

Postby gilly111 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:13 pm

So now the fish have started to show what do you think the best rigs to use
Are I always use a pulley rig but it would be interesting to see what other people use :thumbsup:
2015 kayak fishing
Watch this space

iank
Obsessed Poster

Re: Best rig

Postby iank » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:39 pm

Obviously depends on location etc but locally it's generally up n over for me.

I sometimes doubt wether the bait is on the bottom, especially in deeper water, with a pulley but the up n over allows for a long hooklength on the bottom to be moved by currents etc. After saying that I do use a pulley rig in some situations.

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:18 pm

Up n over is my fav` rig...... :thumbsup:
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound ...turbot...small eyed ray

Bobdeniro2
Obsessed Poster

Postby Bobdeniro2 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:41 pm

Often use either pulley or up and over rigs side by side with a second rod with a flapper rig closer in which normally does better and gotta say my mate often outfishes me with two rods with his (t)rusty old two hook flapper rigs, our last discussion on this left us thinking that I'm possibly casting over the fish, especially on the Mersey :confused: :thumbsup:
2018: Codling, Dogfish, Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Pollack, Rockling, Starry Smoothhound, Tope, Whiting,

merseyboy
Obsessed Poster

Postby merseyboy » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:39 pm

I like the pulley, I find the up and over gets snagged up too easily over rough ground..

Return to “Rig Clinic”