Pulley Rig Length

This section is for all of your rig questions.How to make them...which rigs to use for a particular species or venue...which hooks and sizes are best....any general ideas/advice on rig making and their components.
mike1234
Regular Poster

Re: Pulley Rig Length

Postby mike1234 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:22 am

On a standard pulley i loop the line through a piece of silicone tubing and slide it up to just behind the pulley bead (with the rig set) for better bite detection. Once a fish is hooked the tension is enough to move the silicone down towards the lead so the rig still functions.

I have never had any problems with it and would say it adds enough resistance to make the rod tip rattle but not enough to stop the rig from functioning.

Willpower
Obsessed Poster

Postby Willpower » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:53 am

I get the concept of the pulley rig, however, unless it's a 'fish every chuck', you're going to retrieve more times than not without a fish on just to freshen up the bait, so the weight is in the same position as with most other rig designs i.e. last to arrive. Or have I got the context wrong, and it's a case of not wanting the weight to snag in the event of a fish 'on'.
Up to now, my rig of choice for Cod is a 'Up & Over' rig with a 26" snood, but each to their own.

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:01 pm

Thanks for the replies boys :thumbsup:
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound ...turbot...small eyed ray

tony1
Obsessed Poster

Postby tony1 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:32 pm

I've tried an idea from a gemini advert in last month's sea angler were the swivel on the snood is replaced with a bead and crimp so just one piece of line from sinker to hook. Only had a couple of cast with it but so far so good. But I'd think it could be more prone line twist though
Double knackered

neil.price37
Obsessed Poster

Postby neil.price37 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:35 pm

Long pulley rig for slower tides, shorter for faster tides I've always always found a good rule of thumb and not a good rig for in close I've found ,i wouldn't worry about the bait being on the deck as I've had plenty of rays using pulleys though ,just pay the extra for pulley swivel beads as I've split rigs in half on the cast a few times when using swivels and just been lucky no one about.

merseyboy
Obsessed Poster

Postby merseyboy » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:56 pm

Anyone else ever use a double pulley rig? There great to have when the ground is a bit rough and you want a few baits in the water..
Here's mine.

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:44 pm

You`ve lost me with that one Dave.... :huh:
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound ...turbot...small eyed ray

merseyboy
Obsessed Poster

Postby merseyboy » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:27 pm

Big Kev wrote:You`ve lost me with that one Dave.... :huh:

Yea the pictures don't really show it that well.. :think: I'm sure there are better pics on the net, will see if I can find any. If I ever bump into you Kev your welcome to have one.

Return to “Rig Clinic”