How do they do it ?

This section is for all of your rig questions.How to make them...which rigs to use for a particular species or venue...which hooks and sizes are best....any general ideas/advice on rig making and their components.
Tombod
Super Poster

How do they do it ?

Postby Tombod » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:20 am

Bought some Gemini SRT springs with beads and crimps off Ken the other week just to try. I was going to get 4 pkts but Ken said just get one and see if you like them first (good man ) :thumbsup: . I set a rig up at home and was showing my mates how they work, and one of them said the spring had gone through the bead on one and halfway on another. (and it had) without being used yet.
I wouldn't mind but I bought a pack of 100 3mm Gemini beads as well to make some scratching rigs (gave me no faith) maybe just a few bad beads.
As I was tying a lot of rig body's for me and my lad I decided to look on line and came across these :-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/600-Transpare ... 27d8b58c74
I got the clear beads so they match their surroundings in the water but they do every colour and do another bead in a solid matt finish and more if you look through their other items.
£1.25 for 600 with free postage from Hong Kong How do they do it,
Ordered them 17th and arrived 24th the postage stamp was 3.10 dollars (Hong Kong) I think. (FREE to me)
The hole in the centre is said to be 0.9mm cant really measure it but 70lb (0,74) Sakuma shock leader fits just right and you will get 80lb through it. the crimps are perfect and wont go through them.
Acrylic is quite hard, so I will have to try them out under pressure to see if they stand up to the test (will let you know)
The Gemini are acrylic so not a lot of difference there, I can only lose £1.25.
Don't think the SRT spring are for me, Stick to basics I think :lol:

Trishy
Obsessed Poster

Re: How do they do it ?

Postby Trishy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:38 pm

Hiya Tom , hope you're well. Here s my take on clipped down rigs. I use Gemini srt springs on most of my clipped rigs . I've used Tronix and afaw ones but they rust up fast . Gemini rust up too but not as fast as the others. The spring tensions everything up and helps minimise the snood being stretched. Fine wire hooks can also bend when casting very hard and the spring helps minimise this too. Be careful with beads on clipped rigs , I've had some shatter on a full on whack out. Not Dangerous but the rig becomes less effective. Some beads have massive holes in the middle so the crimps end up passing through them. I would use a bead either side of the srt to prevent the end of the spring being stuck on the crimp. Talking of crimps I like to use the breakaway adjustable crimps on my clipped rigs so if I lose I snood I can readjust them to fit whatever snood I put on. Clip wise I use imps on rough ground or areas of little tide , impact shields when needing extra grip as I find the flat face of the shield helps dig into the seabed gaining a bit more hold; also use them for big baits as I find they stabilise the bait best. Bog standard impact leads also work well . I've used the Gemini solo a few times but find them a bit fiddly with my sausage like fingers! Cascade swivels - just use breakaway as every other that I've used have been sh@te!. And finally. Make sure your bait is streamlined as any bits sticking out wil turn the rig into a helicopter! Twisting, tangling as well as unclipping on the cast. good luck . It's very satisfying making your own rigs that work well ad catch you fish. Regards . Steve.

Tombod
Super Poster

Re: How do they do it ?

Postby Tombod » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:03 pm

Trishy wrote:Hiya Tom , hope you're well. Here s my take on clipped down rigs. I use Gemini srt springs on most of my clipped rigs . I've used Tronix and afaw ones but they rust up fast . Gemini rust up too but not as fast as the others. The spring tensions everything up and helps minimise the snood being stretched. Fine wire hooks can also bend when casting very hard and the spring helps minimise this too. Be careful with beads on clipped rigs , I've had some shatter on a full on whack out. Not Dangerous but the rig becomes less effective. Some beads have massive holes in the middle so the crimps end up passing through them. I would use a bead either side of the srt to prevent the end of the spring being stuck on the crimp. Talking of crimps I like to use the breakaway adjustable crimps on my clipped rigs so if I lose I snood I can readjust them to fit whatever snood I put on. Clip wise I use imps on rough ground or areas of little tide , impact shields when needing extra grip as I find the flat face of the shield helps dig into the seabed gaining a bit more hold; also use them for big baits as I find they stabilise the bait best. Bog standard impact leads also work well . I've used the Gemini solo a few times but find them a bit fiddly with my sausage like fingers! Cascade swivels - just use breakaway as every other that I've used have been sh@te!. And finally. Make sure your bait is streamlined as any bits sticking out wil turn the rig into a helicopter! Twisting, tangling as well as unclipping on the cast. good luck . It's very satisfying making your own rigs that work well ad catch you fish. Regards . Steve.

Hi, Steve
Hope your trowels holding up (mine is retired) :lol:
Funny enough Steve I am changing a lot of my rigs after talking to you at the Otterspool match and seeing your rigs,I realised my swivels, beads and bits were a bit too big compared with yours and not as neat I didn't like asking you the size of your swivels and beads and the snood line you were using as you were fishing the match.
I phoned Alex at Sakuma and asked him what size small swivel is about 45 - 50lb and he told me size 6 so I got 300.
Next I changed the beads from 5mm to 3mm as explained above I got the Gemini beads.
Then I bought 1000 soft copper crimps, only trouble is they were 10mm and not 5mm but they are brilliant on the line.
I understand what you are saying about the SRT springs and I did put the beads either side of the spring (the ones that come with them), but it was the spring that went through the bead not the crimp. but I will try some more.
, As regards the imps I had a discussion with Graham and the lads on here a few weeks ago regarding the hooks (wide mouth) that Graham put the link up for and I bought a lot. I love the solo clips but the larger hooks wont go in them and all the lads on here convinced me to get the imps which I have now got off Ken.
Being a match angler (coarse) for many years I always carried hundreds of hooks pre-tied at home in various sizes, which I am trying to do with the sea fishing, but trying to keep all the hook snoods all exactly the same length when tying them is difficult when pulling the knot up.
But you have GIVEN me the answer Breakaway adjustable crimps will take that tiny bit of slack out.
The two and three flapper rigs for closer work don't need clipping down DO THEY !!!! so I,m alright there.
I've got no problem with my pulley rigs nice and streamline, and no problem with my boat fishing rigs, just got to get the smaller shore rigs spot on.
Any way Steve thanks for all the info above and the info at the match, soon be fishing with you all.
Keep your mortar supple and your tingle plates tingling. :lol:
Cheers :thumbsup:
TOMMY.

Return to “Rig Clinic”