Stocking Up

This section is for all of your rig questions.How to make them...which rigs to use for a particular species or venue...which hooks and sizes are best....any general ideas/advice on rig making and their components.
wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Stocking Up

Postby wobbler72 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:18 pm

I put my back out in a training accident last Monday so couldn't get out this weekend. Instead I sat at home, bored :roll:

I decided to make up some rig bodies. I'll tie on the snoods to suit the venues I'm heading to.

I always use silicon sliders instead of crimps, because they give so many more options than conventional crimps. It's also dead easy to change snoods / hooks / attractors at the waters edge, even on cascade, Bomber and up 'n over rigs

I tied 5 basic rig bodies that will cover all my needs.

For out and out distance, I tied a number of clipped down rigs: some with Imps (for hooks up to 2/0); and some with Impact Shields (for larger hook sizes).

I also tied some two hook cascade rigs.

I tied 20 two hook flappers. The silicon sliders mean that I can easily use these as two-up or one-up one down patterns. By using leads with a bait clip I can also use them to create Bomber rigs.

I also tied a range of pulley rig bodies.

Finally I tied some up and over rigs.

How do you guys do it?
Kev

gilly111
Obsessed Poster

Re: Stocking Up

Postby gilly111 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:35 pm

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
2015 kayak fishing
Watch this space

Shacky
Team BLAS

Postby Shacky » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:34 pm

:lol: :lol: Not with a Bad Back :lol: ;)
2017 Species Hunt....Dab, Whiting, Rockling, Plaice, Flounder, Dogfish, Bass, Tope, Sole, Tub Gurnard, Turbot.

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:06 pm

Nor me by choice :lol:
Kev

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Postby Shaun1118 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:12 pm

I take a rig wallet full of 'Rig Bodies', Pulley Droppers, Loop rigs and flappers. Then some with snoods on but no hooks and a rig winder box with rigs ready to go. I've got 5 winder boxes at home full of tied rigs so If I'm going for cod I just pull out the relevant box and away I go. The rig bodies are there just there to cover all bases or insurance if I'm just having a bad session :lol:

I glue my beads in place on my flapper rigs, quick, easy and incredibly neat, and I use breakaway adjustable crimps for my clipped rigs. I've used silicon tubing in the past and didn't like it. A single one slid to easily and putting more than one below each swivel was time consuming and just messy imo I found they kicked the line out aswel on lighter rig bodies. I use powergum stop knots on hooklengths as a bait stop though as the adjustable crimps are too heavy for that, plus there bloody expensive haha

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:33 pm

I've done much the same over the last couple of weeks but have concentrated on three types of rigs and two of these are on tronix winders ;

Up and over with silicone stops to be adjustable if needed.

Pulley with crimps.

Two hook flappers with pre tied snoods, one long and one short. These are in a wallet because it saves space.

Like Kev and Shaun I like to add hooks at the venue but as I know I will be fishing either in the mersey or on certain beaches I have a box full with hooks on ready to go, some pennelled some not. For boat fishing ive tied a variety of hook lengths to clip onto a short length with zip sliders but these are bagged and labelled.

Do you just use super glue for the beads Shaun? and on a similair theme I pulled up a rig at a nearby mersey venue the other day that used what looked like home made silicon stops. Has anyone tried doing this?

jaygo
Dunkin' Donut

Postby jaygo » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:52 am

Shake all the rigs that are in my bait bucket and hope one untangled then use that one.
:oops:
http://www.merseysideanglers.co.uk

GET ONTO VINE BAITS YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE.
http://www.merseysideanglers.com/vinebaits.html

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:31 pm

I always have a stock of up n over and loop rigs in my wallet,as i rarely use anything else these days...they have a mixture of 1/0 2/0 3/0 hooks,but if i decide on a certain venue/species for my next trip i`ll make up the rigs i think i`ll need.
I use crimps or sliding stop knots....
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Postby Shaun1118 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:16 pm

iank wrote: Do you just use super glue for the beads Shaun? and on a similair theme I pulled up a rig at a nearby mersey venue the other day that used what looked like home made silicon stops. Has anyone tried doing this?

I use P-line glue, I tried loctite once and it just didn't work.

Return to “Rig Clinic”