What do you think?

This section is for all of your rig questions.How to make them...which rigs to use for a particular species or venue...which hooks and sizes are best....any general ideas/advice on rig making and their components.
Blue topaz
Obsessed Poster

What do you think?

Postby Blue topaz » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:36 pm

I have the specific rigs for the different targets I have found sometimes that other species have been happy to be caught on the rigs not meant for them ;) e.g flatties on a pennel, codling on a flattie rig et cetc

So I have decided to create a hybrid - 2 hook flapper with attractors on size 4/0 hooks- going to give it a go but just wondered what others thought??

Sorry its not a good pic but hope you can get the idea.

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Re: What do you think?

Postby Shaun1118 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:18 pm

Its just a two hook flapper with bling and big hooks :?:

IMO bling never does any harm so there's normally a luminous bead or three incorporated in my rigs.

Don't clamp your snood swivels into place so tightly leave a half inch gap... it adds another dimension to the swivels movement 8)

Trishy
Obsessed Poster

Postby Trishy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:40 pm

I personally think 4/0 hooks are huge, rarely use anything bigger than a 2/0 even for larger species.

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:34 pm

Good for you for experimenting but big hooks need big baits buddy. What are you targeting with big baits on a two hook flapper? Big Bass perhaps?
Kev

Ken the PACMAN
Obsessed Poster

Postby Ken the PACMAN » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:40 pm

Rigs like that are popular for boat fishing for Ling and Cod often with a pirk in place of the normal lead but I cant see how you would use one from the shore really as its not going to cast very well.
Live to Fish - Fish to Live
King Cod Swansea 2004
www.prescotanglingcentre.co.uk
0151-426-5011.
You can also find us on Facebook...just... Prescot Angling Centre.

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:16 pm

That`ll be fine for close in cod sessions at the likes of Otterspool......bass are also well within the casting range,with big crab baits e.t.c
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound ...turbot...small eyed ray

Blue topaz
Obsessed Poster

Postby Blue topaz » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:49 am

Thanks for the comments and suggestions gents-I do both shore and boat and to be honest,my target species are anything really. because I just enjoy fishing but hope to catch, so the idea was an attempt to get a rig for any occasion for any species a jack of all trades scenario. I can only cast about 60yards with clipped downs so maybe the extra gubbins might not be too detrimental for me.

Will give it a go next Friday because we are going to try Greenod at high water and will report back. Suspect it will be mickey mouse but hey ho.

Once again I appreciate you taking the time to comment

cheers

Mike

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:13 am

Blue topaz wrote:Thanks for the comments and suggestions gents-I do both shore and boat and to be honest,my target species are anything really. because I just enjoy fishing but hope to catch, so the idea was an attempt to get a rig for any occasion for any species a jack of all trades scenario. I can only cast about 60yards with clipped downs so maybe the extra gubbins might not be too detrimental for me.

Will give it a go next Friday because we are going to try Greenod at high water and will report back. Suspect it will be mickey mouse but hey ho.

Once again I appreciate you taking the time to comment

cheers

Mike
Greenodd eh, I do regular deliveries up that way and see people fishing the estuary but never get chance to stop and chat, do us a report, I would be interested to see how you get on.
The Wrassewrangler

Trishy
Obsessed Poster

Postby Trishy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:10 am

Greenods a flounder venue , drop your hooks to a size 2 and you will have a lot more success. Cheers.

daley12
Obsessed Poster

Postby daley12 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:23 pm

maybe a better chance of a sea trout with that rig at greenodd . try a hook with a good slither of mackerel flounder wont turn their noses up at it and seatrout partial to it as well .BUT of course your not allowed to keep these unless you have a license .

Return to “Rig Clinic”