the legalities of selling sea fishing rigs?

This section is for all of your rig questions.How to make them...which rigs to use for a particular species or venue...which hooks and sizes are best....any general ideas/advice on rig making and their components.
fishermangaz1

the legalities of selling sea fishing rigs?

Postby fishermangaz1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:35 pm

Hello all,

I have been making my own sea fishing rigs for a couple of years now and In recent months started selling black lugworm. I Wish to start selling sea fishing rigs on ebay and from my website however.

Does anyone know if certain sea fishing rigs/designs are patent protected such as the pulley pennel rig and pulley dropper rig?

is liability insurance necessary and can anyone recommend a good company?

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Re: the legalities of selling sea fishing rigs?

Postby Shaun1118 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:56 pm

I don't know what you stand to gain from it? After ebay fees your mark up would be negligible even if you charged what you want for them.

Your target customer on ebay is the summer day tripper and the chuck and chancer both of which are captivated by the vast number of existing companies which churn out low quality rigs for 50p.

My rigs cost more than 50p to make :think:

Your onto a loss before you start :?

Trishy
Obsessed Poster

Postby Trishy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:20 am

I know where Shaun is coming from , I used to make and sell rigs to club members , and the profit is very low to say the least. I used good quality components, basically the rigs were the same that I used myself . I could have used cheaper components but when they start failing, it can be costly. The big firms are selling rigs very cheaply, getting them made up for pennies in china/Far East and getting the components for massive discounts. If you think you can compete go for it , but you will never make a living at it. Every decent angler I know make up their own rigs anyway.

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:27 am

I had the pleasure of meeting and fishing with Ian Houlton, the founder of Moonfleet Angling. I think the general consensus on World Sea Fishing was that he made the best rigs on the market.

We didn't discuss it but I got the distinct impression that he didn't make much out of selling his rigs.
Kev

fishermangaz1

Postby fishermangaz1 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:05 pm

The primary reason im interested in offering rigs as products is to promote my business name and other products associated with it. There seems to be a lot selling online and high demand for them.

It would be interesting to know whether any patents exist on rig designs and what implications they represent for other companies if any?

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:28 pm

fishermangaz1 wrote:The primary reason im interested in offering rigs as products is to promote my business name and other products associated with it. There seems to be a lot selling online and high demand for them.

It would be interesting to know whether any patents exist on rig designs and what implications they represent for other companies if any?

There are no patents on rigs.Thats why everyman and his dog and cat make rigs for sale on ebay.They make pennies per rig profit.You would be better just promoting your other products.I used to make leads for a local tackle shop.We made pennies per lead.We used to get through 300K of lead a year.It was just a service we had to offer.
If I was you I would sell coloured beads because round here people insist in making rigs with loads of coloured beads despite the Mersey being the colour of dockers tea. :think:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Return to “Rig Clinic”