Llyen Peninsula.......Afonwen (High and low water mark)

This section contains directions to a wide variety of venues,plus information on the type of fishing available,and the bait/rigs used
Big Kev
The Masterful One

Llyen Peninsula.......Afonwen (High and low water mark)

Postby Big Kev » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:54 pm

After one short session i am not able to give too much info on this mark (updates will follow after future sessions) but it offers a very good chance of bass from spring onwards along with bull huss and the inevitable dogs. The top of the beach is sandy but gets progressively rougher towards the low water line,with patches of stones,rocks and boulders. Given the terrain i would expect peeler/soft crab to be the main bait for the bass as they search the broken ground when on the feed. As with other beaches in the area like Pwllheli,it will suffer with weed after periods of strong southerly type winds,though conditions are usually fishable on the ebb. Daylight sessions on a rising spring tide with a light s/w breeze could be ideal as the dogs are less likely to show in numbers,giving the bass a chance to find your bait.The areas close to where small rivers enter the sea are usually hot spots for bass and this mark appears to be no exception....the left side of the river mouth appeared to have deeper water,less weed and more importantly feeding bass....hard to be definitive until i gain more experience on the mark. I`m lead to believe there is a drop off near low water where the bigger bass and huss are likely to be found....crab,squid,large mackeral baits should find the fish.Expect some tackle loss when fishing over the broken ground...a pulley rig will help you land your fish.
Getting there.....
From Pwllheli take the A497 towards Porthmadog....you will come to Hafan Y Mor holiday camp,go straight on from that roundabout and take the 3rd exit off the next roundabout (signed as a dead end)...follow the narrow winding road for 1/3 mile and you will come to the railway bridge/parking area...it is a bit restrictive,especially if other cars are already there,so be careful not the block the road or other cars in. Follow the path alongside the river for 150yds and it will bring you out on the beach.

Map

Map
General Info
Species 2017...Dogfish...Dab...Whiting...flounder...Bull Huss.....smut.....Thornback ray...spotted ray...Bass

Return to “Welsh Venues/Directions”