Merseyside....Runcorn ~ Wigg Island (High water mark)

This section gives info on venues which are suitable for anglers who don`t like to,or can`t walk too far.They are also suitable/safe for eldery,disabled or young anglers
morrow
Obsessed Poster

Merseyside....Runcorn ~ Wigg Island (High water mark)

Postby morrow » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:31 pm

Another estuary mark on the Runcorn side of the Mersey that produces lots of Flounder and eels and whiting with the odd plaice caught and your in with a chance of what ever else swims up here especially on big tides, The fishing is very comfortable as you are on the grass bank no more than 20ft away from your car fishing the muddy ledge that leads to the deep channel that is very close in! I have also seen plenty of people fishing it at low also as the main channel stays full, You can also opt to walk further along and and fish onto the mud close and this is what i do for the flounder instead of fishing the sandy banks and channel

Off Astmoor Road
Runcorn
WA7 1RR
Do not use postcode for sat nav. This is closest postcode to Wigg Island, at Old Quay Swing bridge but is now a cul de sac so involves 5 minute detour. Follow brown signs to Astmoor & Wigg Island Community Park from Daresbury Expressway A533

the above times are for the main car park but you can still fish the first bit from your car as this is before the main gates
below if the part fished when gates locked
LOW WATER

Taking the high water pics i even counted 3-4 porpoises close in topping the water :D
Species - Thornback Ray, Huss, Wrasse, Dogfish, Whiting, Mackerel, Flounder, Silver Eel, Dab, Pollock, Sea Scorpion, Common Blenny, Coalie , Rockling, Pouting, Conger Eel, Smoothound

Return to “Easy Access Venues/Directions For All Areas”