A few Jacks

Do you have a favorite venue for Carp ,tench,bream fishing, if so then pass on as much information in this test section of WSF.
Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

A few Jacks

Postby Shaun1118 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:00 pm

I've been waiting patiently for the last 4 months to have an hour of light after work so I could grab the lure rod and head to the local lakes in search of some pike.

Nothing big as of yet but even the littlens put a healthy bend in the rod 8)

Fingers crossed for some better fish this week.

Prescot angling also have a 20% off promotion until the end of April on all pike related equipment and lures (excludes frozen bait). Probably the best excuse to visit the tackle shop I've heard all year :)

I.duke
Obsessed Poster

Re: A few Jacks

Postby I.duke » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:42 pm

Good effort m8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:28 pm

Well in laaaaaa :clap:
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

Shacky
Team BLAS

Postby Shacky » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:23 pm

Nice one Shaun :thumbsup:
2017 Species Hunt....Dab, Whiting, Rockling, Plaice, Flounder, Dogfish, Bass, Tope, Sole, Tub Gurnard, Turbot.

morrow
Obsessed Poster

Postby morrow » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:48 am

Nice one mate :clap:

This is somthing id really like to have a go of
Species - Thornback Ray, Huss, Wrasse, Dogfish, Whiting, Mackerel, Flounder, Silver Eel, Dab, Pollock, Sea Scorpion, Common Blenny, Coalie , Rockling, Pouting, Conger Eel, Smoothound

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Postby Shaun1118 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:59 pm

I only had a 30 minute window this evening but managed to make it count

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:09 pm

Well in there Shaun laaaa.
The Wrassewrangler

geddo
Obsessed Poster

Postby geddo » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:43 pm

Nice :clap: :clap: is there a season for pike fishing, looked it up and apparently the season stops mid march, due to the well being of the pike, does anyone know about this, would love to give it a go but not sure if I will have to wait till next autum now

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:57 pm

Coarse fishing closed season, Mark. Always used to be 15 March to 15 June inclusive. (I don't know what it is now as I believe there was a change in some areas/ waters?)

In the old days that's when I would get my sea or fly fishing gear out.

geddo
Obsessed Poster

Postby geddo » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:27 pm

iank wrote:Coarse fishing closed season, Mark. Always used to be 15 March to 15 June inclusive. (I don't know what it is now as I believe there was a change in some areas/ waters?)

In the old days that's when I would get my sea or fly fishing gear out.
cheers Ian, what I read was that there is really no close season for pike, but because the oxygen levels drop during the warmer periods, pike enthusiasts decline to target them because of there fighting nature they struggle to recover as quickly as they would in winter or autumn time, apparently on bigger lakes and open water as you head north this is not as much of an issue, this is what I've read, if I'm talking out my backside any one please feel free to correct me, after all we are all here to learn from others

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Postby Shaun1118 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:17 pm

There is no real closed season as such for pike just a 'season'.

One of the reasons behind this is that pike are pretty explosive and they don't give up which is conducive to a prolonged fight. This leads to exhaustion and anaerobic respiration which in turn leads to a lot of lactic acid. Fish are cold blooded, the colder the water the less energetic they will be therefore safer for the fish as less lactic acid is produced, its got little to do with the recovery as we know prevention is better than cure. But to be entirely honest I don't really care what excuse they come up with for not pike fishing of a summer the biggest fatality factor will be the length of time its out the water, I've seen 'pike anglers' taking 5 mins to unhook a fish, then another five arsing about with scales then a further 5 taking pictures but the same anglers will argue that fishing for them out of season is bad for them.

I fish for pike throughout the year with lures, your in touch with the lure so the chance of deep hooking is negligible. Bait fishing under a float is another thing though, I've seen a few pike caught on bait during the summer and nearly all have been deep hooked.

Go with gear that's up to the job and don't take the mick playing it. Have your unhooking tools and camera to hand and you won't have a problem. The majority of my pike are back in the water within a minute.

There is a closed season on the rivers though dates are as Ian says.

geddo
Obsessed Poster

Postby geddo » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:08 am

Shaun1118 wrote:There is no real closed season as such for pike just a 'season'.

One of the reasons behind this is that pike are pretty explosive and they don't give up which is conducive to a prolonged fight. This leads to exhaustion and anaerobic respiration which in turn leads to a lot of lactic acid. Fish are cold blooded, the colder the water the less energetic they will be therefore safer for the fish as less lactic acid is produced, its got little to do with the recovery as we know prevention is better than cure. But to be entirely honest I don't really care what excuse they come up with for not pike fishing of a summer the biggest fatality factor will be the length of time its out the water, I've seen 'pike anglers' taking 5 mins to unhook a fish, then another five arsing about with scales then a further 5 taking pictures but the same anglers will argue that fishing for them out of season is bad for them.

I fish for pike throughout the year with lures, your in touch with the lure so the chance of deep hooking is negligible. Bait fishing under a float is another thing though, I've seen a few pike caught on bait during the summer and nearly all have been deep hooked.

Go with gear that's up to the job and don't take the mick playing it. Have your unhooking tools and camera to hand and you won't have a problem. The majority of my pike are back in the water within a minute.

There is a closed season on the rivers though dates are as Ian says.
thanks for taking the the time to reply Shaun, much appreciated. Will get myself down to kens to rig myself out with some pike gear while his sale is on

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Postby Shaun1118 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:10 pm

I had a change of scenery this evening in search of a better fish. This lake has a better average size than stadt moers but there harder to come by.

I still managed one though :dance:

A chunky upper single, my first double of the season is getting closer :lol:

I.duke
Obsessed Poster

Postby I.duke » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:46 pm

Well done Shaun cracking fish m8

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:52 pm

Looking better Shaun, well done. :clap: :clap: