Pike on the lure

A test section for WSf to see if we need to progress to a full blown Coarse and Carp Fishing Forum.

General Coarse Fishing reports and information in this section.

Moderator: John Petersen

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Pike on the lure

Postby Shaun1118 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:11 am

Its been a while since I got out with the lures so I decided to take a trip to stadt moers yesterday for a hour or so before it got dark. It was windy and my lures where getting blown all over the place, not to bad if your on a open stretch but bad news when you fishing to snags and soon my komomo was left decorating a tree again :doh: I gave up after that and just went home to ready the kayak for monday to retrieve the aforementioned lure :lol:

The winds had died down a little today so I made another trip but the lake was full of carp anglers so I went round the corner to Halsnead. There where a few lads using live and dead baits and they were doing ok and had a few pike around the 2lb mark, nothing bigger but it was welcome news especially to my older brother who is yet to catch a pike. So we plugged away quietly confident.

I'd already worked my way round half the lake while my brother was still thrashing the first swim to foam (some people wont listen) before I felt a tap, I had been scraping the bottom every now and then with my Megabass Zonk Imitation but this felt different it was sharp and deliberate, the fish are relatively lethargic this time of year so I paused for a few seconds then threw in a few twitches and it was fish on, the fish had been given a similar hit of adrenaline that I'd received when I got that tap and literally exploded out the water, a fight ensued but he was soon on the bank.

Pike feed hard this time of year as they get prepared to breed and this one was no exception and as you can see was stuffed full of fish so get your lures out, there not just for Bass and Pollock 8)

JIMMYJIZZMO
i love cock

Re: Pike on the lure

Postby JIMMYJIZZMO » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:27 am

well in Shaun :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Did you get the Yak out and recover any lures???? :think:

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Postby Shaun1118 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:52 am

I'm going tomorrow when hopefully there isn't anyone fishing.

Last time I got out I got about 10 lures and a load of leads and floats. I gave the coarse floats and leads to some kids even though they was hoping I would fall in :lol: There was only one lure that wasn't mine worth keeping though but I won't say no to a near new Rapala Shad Rap :dance: It'll come in handy for trolling lake bala when I can be bothered to go :lol:

Looking round today there's a few more hanging around so hopefully there's more Rapalas and less conrads this time :badgrin:

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:22 am

Well done Shaun nice pike.
The Wrassewrangler

tony1
Obsessed Poster

Postby tony1 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:34 pm

nice one shaun :clap: :clap: :clap:

like you say they are on the feed ready for spawning, its got a nice little belly on it
Double knackered

Ken the PACMAN
Obsessed Poster

Postby Ken the PACMAN » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:18 pm

Errrm,Spinning has been banned at Halsnead for the last forty or so years but I guess nobody bothered you :D
Live to Fish - Fish to Live
King Cod Swansea 2004
www.prescotanglingcentre.co.uk
0151-426-5011.
You can also find us on Facebook...just... Prescot Angling Centre.

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Postby Shaun1118 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:01 pm

I've spoken to Rod while I've been plugging away in the past and he said it was banned but as long as it was done sensibly i.e. not cranking in stupidly sized lures as to foul hook fish then there was no issue.

I suppose its like most rules on most lakes there only enforced when someone is kicking the oops out of it and taking liberties.

I guess if I started wanging 40g dexters about I'd soon be shown to the gate :lol:

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:35 pm

You must've improved your casting since I was last out chucking lures with you if you're hitting those trees!
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Postby Shaun1118 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:39 pm

Godders123 wrote:You must've improved your casting since I was last out chucking lures with you if you're hitting those trees!

Practice makes perfect :lol:

mal wynne
Obsessed Poster

Postby mal wynne » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:17 pm

nice one shaun , I have,nt had a pike on a lure since early december ,I,ve just been deadbaiting on the shroppy and catching jacks to 5 pound , plus a couple of blanks on bala, really miss my lure fishing at the moment , I prefer the river but it,s been in flood for weeks now , :)

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Postby Shaun1118 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:53 pm

Have you had much out of Bala Mal? There's some monsters in there so I'm told and I've seen some pictures of whopping brown trout.

I've only fished it the once trolling a lure behind my yak, I blanked but Chris caught 3 jacks, I keep meaning to get back but the weathers always hit and miss there for the kayak and it's too vast of a water I know nothing about to fish off the bank 8)

tony1
Obsessed Poster

Postby tony1 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:49 pm

I've done a couple of weekends a few years back with PAC region 31. We bivied up in a farmers field on the lakes edge (bottom right of lake). Some of the lads had boats and others fished from the shore were they camped. Biggest fish I saw was a 22lb caught from the bank, the lad that caught it was shaking like a leaf at its size and couldn't lift it for a pic. The fishing was pretty slow but we had a good craic.

my avatar is one I caught there on first trip
Double knackered

mal wynne
Obsessed Poster

Postby mal wynne » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:41 pm

I,ve only fished it a few times shaun and the best fish was only about 4 pound but I will be doing it a lot from now on especially lures in the summer , there was a 15 pound ferox caught sometime last year I remember seeing it in the daily post , plus I do know a 26 pound pike was landed 2 weeks ago but I don,t know whereby , we were thinking of going this saturday but the winds going to be feirce so it might just be a quick sesh somewhere local in the morning then watch the rugby in the afternoon :)

KARL1607

Postby KARL1607 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:07 pm

Got this from Bala a few years back 17.5lb
Half way down onthe other side of the lake from Bala itself

tony1
Obsessed Poster

Postby tony1 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:59 pm

nice fish that Karl

Fish and meet at Bala for the WSF pike trophy ?

Used to be three quid a day for two rods I think, and the farmer used to charge a fiver for a night to pitch your bivy if I remember
Double knackered

Return to “Maggot Drowning”