fly fishing

A test section for WSf to see if we need to progress to a full blown Coarse and Carp Fishing Forum.

General Coarse Fishing reports and information in this section.

Moderator: John Petersen

mike b
Super Poster

fly fishing

Postby mike b » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:06 am

do's anyone fly fish..

if so could they give any advice to a total newbie..or recommend a casting instructor
It's not the catching !!! It's the take in part that count's>

pvf1

Re: fly fishing

Postby pvf1 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:48 am

Hi I have been fly fishing since I was a Kid in Scotland.
If you want to learn how to cast, buy a cheap second hand rod and reel that takes a weight forward 7 line.
The internet is full of free videos of teaching casting techniques and styles and how to retrieve, they will also
give advice on tackle, lines to use and what fly to use, watch these videos and practice your casting in the
garden or local park.
Once you feel comfortable that you can cast a straight line that shoots and drops softly add a leader to the
fly line with one fly and aim at a target like a bucket until you are able to hit the target when landing your fly.
Then I would organise a trip to Pennine trout FISHERY in Littleborough use a weight forwards sinking line with
a 6-7ib leader tipped with a mayfly nymph or something similar let it sink well down vary your retrieve as the
videos will tell you and you will catch fish.
Sound simple but Fly fishing is probably the most expensive of all the fishing hobbies as I have spent fortunes
over the years on Salmon and seatrout fishing and a day out can cost you up to £50 - £100 even to fish a local
fishery.
But if you do get hooked there is nothing better than fishing rivers and lochs for wild salmon, seatrout or wild browns.
I you get good you can fish the coastal areas for Bass and Pollock I have even had flounders on the fly.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Return to “Maggot Drowning”