Help Please

A test section for WSf to see if we need to progress to a full blown Coarse and Carp Fishing Forum.

General Coarse Fishing reports and information in this section.

Moderator: John Petersen

morrow
Obsessed Poster

Help Please

Postby morrow » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:33 pm

I wanted to do some pike fishing, I have some trebles and the traces i just wanted to know can i fish the bottom like i do when sea fishing? I was thinking do i just double hook a mackrel use a bit of bait elastic to keep it on and chuck it out? This is what i was going to do like

ALSO

I wanted to do one on a float do i do the same? is there a specific depth i need to fish etc?
Species - Thornback Ray, Huss, Wrasse, Dogfish, Whiting, Mackerel, Flounder, Silver Eel, Dab, Pollock, Sea Scorpion, Common Blenny, Coalie , Rockling, Pouting, Conger Eel, Smoothound

gilly111
Obsessed Poster

Re: Help Please

Postby gilly111 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:23 am

use a running rig for bottom fishing 2 foot trace and trebbel hooks
and float fish

fish on or just off bottom
2015 kayak fishing
Watch this space

morrow
Obsessed Poster

Postby morrow » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:24 am

gilly111 wrote:use a running rig for bottom fishing 2 foot trace and trebbel hooks
and float fish

fish on or just off bottom

Like a running ledger type rig mate? so its more or less like sea fishing just chuck it out and wait for the bite?

Also using the float how do i get it just off the bottom?
Species - Thornback Ray, Huss, Wrasse, Dogfish, Whiting, Mackerel, Flounder, Silver Eel, Dab, Pollock, Sea Scorpion, Common Blenny, Coalie , Rockling, Pouting, Conger Eel, Smoothound

tony1
Obsessed Poster

Postby tony1 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:13 am

Have a look on PAC website as loads of stuff on rigs and pike safety etc, they also have regional meetings with guest speakers and arrange fishins. They also do teachins for clubs, but they are generally open go non members. Keith and I went to a teachin a few years back and been hooked since.

I'll give you a shout went we next go if you like ,
Double knackered

morrow
Obsessed Poster

Postby morrow » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks buddy i will defo come along

prawnster
Regular Prawn

Postby prawnster » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:29 am

morrow wrote:like sea fishing just chuck it out and wait for the bite?

Just like sea fishing :roll:
2009 Specimen Hunt Winner 8-) ... 2012 Team Prawn Crackers 8-)

Bobdeniro2
Obsessed Poster

Postby Bobdeniro2 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:14 pm

We never had much success dead-baiting until we bumped into the famous Gordon Burton while we were fishing the drains in Banks nr Southport. He told us about a float paternoster set up, and since then we've regularly caught whenever we fished it there or on the Leeds-Liverpool canal. It's best for small to medium sized baits and we used Smelt with good results. Set up as though you're float fishing but tie a length of mono from the top swivel of your trace. The mono needs to be longer than the trace by about 8-10 inches. Tie a 2 oz lead on the mono and adjust the depth of your float until it's just deep enough to cock the float without pulling under. It works best if you can keep the rod tip up and the line to the float above the water. Bite detection is brilliant like this. If you're fishing at distance or at depth like in a lake etc, you can use a sunken float to get the same presenation but you won't get the same bite indication so you'll need another type of indicator. Also just use one treble, hooking the Smelt throught he back with one hook only and hold it in place with a bait holder or small piece of elastic band, hook up rates very good with this and causes less harm to the fish. (PS Don't forget an unhooking mat too as Pike can be easily damaged).
2018: Codling, Dogfish, Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Pollack, Rockling, Starry Smoothhound, Tope, Whiting,

Stanthejagman

Postby Stanthejagman » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:15 pm

River or still water piking?

morrow
Obsessed Poster

Postby morrow » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:03 pm

Stanthejagman wrote:River or still water piking?

No it will just be a few local canals like the sankey canal from widnes to warrington etc

JohnH

Postby JohnH » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:48 pm

Jay beginning pike fishing is a very emotive subject to coarse anglers. Pike are a very delicate fish and do not respond well to bad handling. This is evidenced by a water producing large numbers as well as large pike for a couple of years then the water goes dead.

As a sea angler you probably have the right gear ie a minimum of 15lb bs line coupled with I suggest a bass rod.

Bite indication is of the utmost importance to avoid deep hooking. If your fishing a canal I suggest float fishing is the way to go. Use a float approx size say the equivalent to a 1.5in poly ball. Set up as for a running leger with the float set at approx the depth + 1.5/2ft. Cast out and sink the line slowly tightening till the float is set, place rod in two rests.

Strike when the float goes under.

For unhooking you will need long forceps or long handled needle nosed pliers. Wire cutters can also be used if required. A leather gardening glove may be used to keep the teeth from your hand. (Carry a first aid kit containing medicated wipes and plasters)

Baits to use, Sardine and sprat's are good but are very soft so best used from frozen. Joey mackerel, lamprey and eel sections are also good. If you feel the bait is to big cut in half.

The canal at Spike Island is reputed to hold pike but cant be more positive. I have no idea who has the fishing rights or if day tickets are issued. If fishing is allowed I could always join you for a day out there.

I have kept the above very short just to give you an idea. If you need further clarification or help please dont hesitate to contact me.

Return to “Maggot Drowning”