fagl lane quarry

A test section for WSf to see if we need to progress to a full blown Coarse and Carp Fishing Forum.

General Coarse Fishing reports and information in this section.

Moderator: John Petersen

mal wynne
Obsessed Poster

fagl lane quarry

Postby mal wynne » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:21 pm

on: Today at 08:18:43 PM »
QuoteModify
just wondering if anyone knows who might control the fishing rights at the old gravel pit between Hope and Pennyffordd in Flintshire , I have walked the dog through there and it looks a cracking lake , about 12-15 acres in a lovely setting , but I,ve never come across anyone fishing there , I know that about 20 odd years ago the manager stocked the lake with rainbows and used to charge people to fish it , I fancy taking a lure rod down there one evening but I,m not sure if a syndicate or club might object :)

FishingFreakJack
English A Level Prospect

Re: fagl lane quarry

Postby FishingFreakJack » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:34 pm

just go down there and give it a crack whats the worst that could happen :badgrin:

prawnster
Regular Prawn

Postby prawnster » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:38 pm

FishingFreakJack wrote:just go down there and give it a crack whats the worst that could happen :badgrin:

"Oi... get orrrff my laaand" Bang! :shock: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:
2009 Specimen Hunt Winner 8-) ... 2012 Team Prawn Crackers 8-)

John Petersen
The Prisoner

Postby John Petersen » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:32 pm

FishingFreakJack wrote:just go down there and give it a crack whats the worst that could happen :badgrin:

Hopefully after a 2 year course in Fishery Management, you might reply with a different answer in the future.
I am not a number !

Questions are a burden to others, answers a prison for oneself.

jaygo
Dunkin' Donut

Postby jaygo » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:04 pm

is it the paper mills lake
http://www.merseysideanglers.co.uk

GET ONTO VINE BAITS YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE.
http://www.merseysideanglers.com/vinebaits.html

mal wynne
Obsessed Poster

Postby mal wynne » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:29 pm

jaygo wrote:is it the paper mills lake

no mate it,s an old gravel pit about 5 miles west of wrexham

KARL1607

Postby KARL1607 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:58 pm

found his from a few years ago in the Fintshire Chronicle

Former Hope quarry to become nature reserve and watersports centre
Mar 13 2009 by George Tattum, Flintshire Chronicle
A FORMER quarry is to become a nature reserve and watersports centre.
Hanson Aggregates will restore the 145-acre sand and gravel quarry it owns in Fagl Lane, Hope.
Public access to the site will be limited to footpaths, as part of the site is shared with a private landowner, and future use will be subject to negotiation.
Fagl Lane Quarry Liaison Committee spokesman Hugh Edwards said the site could become a magnet for anglers, sailors and wildlife lovers.
“It’s a very exciting step,” he said.
“The 30-acre lake is up to 100ft deep in places and will draw people in from miles around, as well as being a fantastic facility for nearby residents.”
Hanson bought the quarry in 2000 from Tarmac which had acquired it from Bodfari Sand and Gravel.
In 2002, the company secured permission to extend it to dig out an extra 3.9m tonnes over 15 years. But production wound up two years later as the site’s complex geology made extraction uneconomical.
In September Hanson applied for planning consent to make the site operational again – not to work it themselves – but to market the 3.3m tonnes still remaining.
But Flintshire County Council rejected the application. Hanson has decided not to appeal and under the terms of its original planning consent, has 18 months to landscape the site and remove equipment.

mal wynne
Obsessed Poster

Postby mal wynne » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:23 pm

I recently spoke to somebody from flintshire council when I was walkin the dog there , and they said they would be keen to allow angling on there when it becomes a country park but on a club basis

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:29 pm

Thats good to know. ;)
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

peter
Regular Poster

Postby peter » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:06 am

intresting :think:
keep us informed please :drool:

Danny.p

Postby Danny.p » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:21 pm

Hey guys, i live just down the road from the pit, i wasn't sure what was in there but was chatting to an old chap today who confirmed that there is, SOME carp, pike, brown trout, perch and rudd. this chap has fished there and sailed for over 20 years. I'm heading down there tomorrow with 2kg of sprats, so ill keep you posted on the pike situation, hopefully its teaming and ill have a good day. OH and also this very useful fella was pretty sure you wont get bothered as its owned by the people that dug the hole in the first place. hope this info is ok for yas.

gilly111
Obsessed Poster

Postby gilly111 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:23 am

:lol: :lol: hi mate have you read the date on the post :dance: :dance:
2015 kayak fishing
Watch this space

Danny.p

Postby Danny.p » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:03 pm

Hey guys, had a trip down there and fished it, didn't even have one bite. I'm hoping the council will start its club soon to start stocking it up. if there is fish in there, there's not allot and for a lake that size its hardly worth fishing it. :( :( :( 8)

Park in the past

Postby Park in the past » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:42 pm

Hi To all
Regarding your thread on Fagl lane quarry. My name is Paul Harston and I have set up a project called park in the past. This is a CIC or community interest company which is asset locked. This means all profits must be re-invested into the project. I have copied below a press release form July wioth regards this site. We fully intent to make provision for fishing at this site and develop its stock in line with the local anglers. The site will not be open till spring 2015 due to contractual issues in the land acquisition. Please feel free to email for more information paul.harston@parkinthepast.org.uk or look on www.facebook.com/parkinthepast. our Web site will launch at the end of this month www.parkinthepast.org.uk If anyone on here has fished the lake and could give us an idea of what is currently in ther that would be very helpful.

Press Release: 5th July 2014 “Lord Barry Jones secures land for Roman Fort and Country Park.”
Hanson UK Chief Execu2ve Patrick O’Shea has donated all of the Hanson land holdings at Fagl Lane Quarry, near Hope, Flintshire to Park in The Past Community Interest Company.
Lord Barry Jones, an enthusias2c supporter of the ambi2ous plans to build a Roman Fort and restored ancient landscape, recently made a wriMen appeal for support to the Hanson UK CEO, with drama2c results.
Paul Harston, Managing Director of Park in The Past said “I could hardly believe it when I heard. Actually I was on a train to Liverpool dressed as a Roman Centurion for a corporate event, so when I started jumping up and down, I don’t think the other passengers could quite believe it either!”
“We have been in protracted nego2a2ons to acquire the land for over 2 years now, and although this giX is dependent on our buying the northern half of the site from a private owner, we are now in a posi2on to close the deal and get on with the real work.”
There has been a great deal of ac2vity going on behind the scenes to enable us to hit the ground running: Our team of professional ecologists from Enfys Ecology have almost completed a full ecological survey of the site, so we can establish exactly what wildlife is already present. We are about to start work on a detailed management plan, for which we have already provisionally awarded the contract.
The first 2 years of opera2on are going to be the most difficult, as with any start up enterprise. We are launching an appeal for people who want to help make this community project happen to become a “Friend of Park in The Past” and to make a small monthly dona2on to help cover essen2al development costs and overheads. This is essen2al if the project is to survive un2l it can start genera2ng income from commercial ac2vi2es. Everyone who subscribes during this early period will gain special status as a “founder friend”, which will en2tle them to special concessions in the future. We will be launching our website very soon at www.parkinthepast.org.uk
Hanson UK CEO Patrick O’Shea said: “The project has the poten2al for considerable educa2onal, economic and community benefits and we are delighted to add our support by dona2ng the land.”
Park in The Past Community Interest Company is registered in Wales. Reg. No.8894474. VAT No. 182 0332 38 Registered address: 20 Bryn Yorkin, Caergwrle, WREXHAM, LL12 9HU
Directors: Paul Harston ⬥ Amanda Brewer BSc. MRICS ⬥ Robin Brown BSc.

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:33 pm

Hi Paul,

Very interested to read about your project, thanks for posting. While I don't know the lake and most likely will never fish it I would like to wish you the very best of luck. I hope its a great success.

Return to “Maggot Drowning”