pike

A test section for WSf to see if we need to progress to a full blown Coarse and Carp Fishing Forum.

General Coarse Fishing reports and information in this section.

Moderator: John Petersen

simonbayley
Regular Poster

pike

Postby simonbayley » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:20 am

returned to the canal behind chester zoo on a hunt for the pike armed with dead baits mackeral and sardines but didnt get a sniff! anybody caught on the canal with dead baits any one got any tips? can you live bait on there?

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Re: pike

Postby Shaun1118 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:25 am

simonbayley wrote:returned to the canal behind chester zoo on a hunt for the pike armed with dead baits mackeral and sardines but didnt get a sniff! anybody caught on the canal with dead baits any one got any tips? can you live bait on there?

I went the other day spinning and didnt have a sniff, tried differnt plugs, spinners, speeds, depths and coverd quite abit of ground aswel :? Maybe they are vegitarians?

simonbayley
Regular Poster

Postby simonbayley » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:32 am

yes we came to the same concluision! i had 2 pike last week on double maggot so they must be there just couldnt tempt them, are you allowed to live bait there?

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Postby Shaun1118 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:37 am

simonbayley wrote: are you allowed to live bait there?

I dont think anyone runs the water and there is no signs i assume you can 8) Just dont have a roach flapping about on a set of trebles when the dog walkers and runners go past cos some people get quite touchy :badgrin:

century lad
Regular Poster

Postby century lad » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:41 am

iv had my biggest pike 19lb 6oz out the canal on smelt fishing close in nxt to the reeds on float tactics with the deadbait popped up off the bottom.

also try and spin for them using a sprat sink and draw just lightly twich the bait back slowly.

i found that if the local stretch is fished quite often for pike they twig on to the same baits being used so try different baits like smelt or lamprey or move area

Andy :)

FishingFreakJack
English A Level Prospect

Postby FishingFreakJack » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:05 pm

A dead roach or small skimmer is best by far

prawnster
Regular Prawn

Postby prawnster » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:46 am

FishingFreakJack wrote:A dead roach or small skimmer is best by far

6" Smelt ;)
2009 Specimen Hunt Winner 8-) ... 2012 Team Prawn Crackers 8-)

Springbok
AKA Edgar Hansen

Postby Springbok » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:16 pm

With the water temp still a bit low the pike is still a bit lethargic, so they are not moving around like mad looking for bait and as dead baits is stationary you can be in for a long wait. Either go for lures or a fish bait and retrieve really slowly. I had a couple of jacks on the fly yesterday and the fly was almost standing still in the water, anything at speed was left alone.

If you use live bait suspend them 20 or so inches from the float and leave alone it will soon temp the deep water fish to come up.

FishingFreakJack
English A Level Prospect

Postby FishingFreakJack » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:58 pm

prawnster wrote:
FishingFreakJack wrote:A dead roach or small skimmer is best by far

6" Smelt ;)

Where was that caught?

That must have been a while back :lol:

congerman1962
Obsessed Poster

Postby congerman1962 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:22 pm

hi there mate i have done a bit of pike fishing on canals in the north west i found float paternoster the best or in Summer Leger lampreys good or large sandells i found using sea dead baits was slow in winter try drifting a dead roach on a round drennan float set the depth about 3/6 inch of bottom i found it better on canals in winter just after a frost as for plugging for pike on canals try the jointed rattling plugs or spoons if its sunny i am no expert and i am always learning about fishing of other anglers you could try to get hold of articles from Gordy Burton {south port piking pirate} he has done wonders on drains+lakes hope this helps :roll: :roll:

gizzybee

Postby gizzybee » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:30 am

HI M8 IVE BEEN PIKING IT NOW FOR 3 WINTERS. THE STRETCHES BY CHESHIRE OAKS (STOAK / PICTON). IVE HAD A COUPLE OF DOUBLE FIGURES, BUT ITS SLOW GOING I DEADBAIT WITH A SIMPLE RIG. IVE FOUND THE BEST PLACES ARE AT THE MOUTH OF ANY OF THE BRIDGES. BEST TIME TO ME IS DUSK UNTILL DARK. BUT THEY ARE IN THERE BUT FEW FAR BETWEEN... CHEERS

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:45 am

gizzybee wrote:HI M8 IVE BEEN PIKING IT NOW FOR 3 WINTERS. THE STRETCHES BY CHESHIRE OAKS (STOAK / PICTON). IVE HAD A COUPLE OF DOUBLE FIGURES, BUT ITS SLOW GOING I DEADBAIT WITH A SIMPLE RIG. IVE FOUND THE BEST PLACES ARE AT THE MOUTH OF ANY OF THE BRIDGES. BEST TIME TO ME IS DUSK UNTILL DARK. BUT THEY ARE IN THERE BUT FEW FAR BETWEEN... CHEERS

Gizzy,can you turn your caps off please. ;)
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

tubby bear

Postby tubby bear » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:31 pm

I heard on another forum that a while ago our eastern european friends have been long lining and doing VERY well feeding their families on pike :(

Return to “Maggot Drowning”