Big learning curve

A test section for WSf to see if we need to progress to a full blown Coarse and Carp Fishing Forum.

General Coarse Fishing reports and information in this section.

Moderator: John Petersen

seajunky

Big learning curve

Postby seajunky » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:16 pm

For the past 45 years I have been a rod and line man, but this season I have bought a pole. To be precise it’s a 16 meter Maver inspiration. I only have 2 top kits, so I have had to be careful with my choice of elastics. So I have one fitted with a hollow 8 for the silvers bream and bits, and green Vespa with a pulla kit for the carp. As I have said I have a small lake on my caravan park with a good head of bream, nice roach to 2lb plus, Ide to 3lb, carp to 20lb plus which can make life interesting, most of the carp are in the 4 to 5lb mark, which are nice to catch.

I decided that this year I would try and get out to some of the other excellent fisheries in the area. I went to a place called the “Rising sun farm” this place has a fantastic natural lake with some really nice carp and bream in it. The carp run to 30lb, and the bream to about 10lb, so that is a future visit, defo, but the owners like a lot of places now realise the worth of match fishing, and have dug out two snake lakes with about 30 or 40 swims on each one. These have carp up to about 18lb, and a lot of them. I had a good few fish in the 7 to 8lb mark. I actually had my license checked for the very first time in ever in 50 years of fishing. About bloody time too.

I did visit a place locally known as Sassay “The oaks” what a fantastic place. I believe that they hosted the fishamania there once; there are a lot of open matches there each week. Well I decided to fish a couple of evening sessions there. That’s from 4pm on to dark, and it’s only 4 quid, well worth it. The green vespa and the pulla bung worked its magic, without the pulla bung I wouldn’t have landed half as much as I did. A lot of carp were in the 10 to 12lb mark. To be honest on the 2 occasions that I went to Sassay I totally lost count of the number of fish that I actually caught. Those of you that pole fish will appreciate just what a great time I had. Some of the fish were ghost carp in the 5 to 6lb area.

I have also been experimenting with different types of bait, different pellets, and meats, different flavoured and coloured corn.
Also I have started tying my own rigs, experimenting with different lines and hook patterns and sizes. Another thing I have learned is that you get what you pay for, so I have started to use “Tuff eye” floats, they last a lot longer. This has been a total learning curve for me, and the past couple of weeks have been just so much fun. And after all isn’t that what it’s all about. Tight lines.

Seajunky Steve

FishingFreakJack
English A Level Prospect

Re: Big learning curve

Postby FishingFreakJack » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:44 pm

seajunky wrote:For the past 45 years I have been a rod and line man, but this season I have bought a pole. To be precise it’s a 16 meter Maver inspiration. I only have 2 top kits, so I have had to be careful with my choice of elastics. So I have one fitted with a hollow 8 for the silvers bream and bits, and green Vespa with a pulla kit for the carp. As I have said I have a small lake on my caravan park with a good head of bream, nice roach to 2lb plus, Ide to 3lb, carp to 20lb plus which can make life interesting, most of the carp are in the 4 to 5lb mark, which are nice to catch.

I decided that this year I would try and get out to some of the other excellent fisheries in the area. I went to a place called the “Rising sun farm” this place has a fantastic natural lake with some really nice carp and bream in it. The carp run to 30lb, and the bream to about 10lb, so that is a future visit, defo, but the owners like a lot of places now realise the worth of match fishing, and have dug out two snake lakes with about 30 or 40 swims on each one. These have carp up to about 18lb, and a lot of them. I had a good few fish in the 7 to 8lb mark. I actually had my license checked for the very first time in ever in 50 years of fishing. About bloody time too.

I did visit a place locally known as Sassay “The oaks” what a fantastic place. I believe that they hosted the fishamania there once; there are a lot of open matches there each week. Well I decided to fish a couple of evening sessions there. That’s from 4pm on to dark, and it’s only 4 quid, well worth it. The green vespa and the pulla bung worked its magic, without the pulla bung I wouldn’t have landed half as much as I did. A lot of carp were in the 10 to 12lb mark. To be honest on the 2 occasions that I went to Sassay I totally lost count of the number of fish that I actually caught. Those of you that pole fish will appreciate just what a great time I had. Some of the fish were ghost carp in the 5 to 6lb area.

I have also been experimenting with different types of bait, different pellets, and meats, different flavoured and coloured corn.
Also I have started tying my own rigs, experimenting with different lines and hook patterns and sizes. Another thing I have learned is that you get what you pay for, so I have started to use “Tuff eye” floats, they last a lot longer. This has been a total learning curve for me, and the past couple of weeks have been just so much fun. And after all isn’t that what it’s all about. Tight lines.

Seajunky Steve

Im sure you can buy a uni kit for it make sure you have a cup kit because you will struggle on accuracy at 16meters with a palm full of maggouts. Also make sure you have at least one pole roller so you dont damage your pole.

Goodluck

seajunky

Postby seajunky » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:36 pm

Thanks for the advise Jack. I was fortunate enough to get hold of a Preston Pro V roller and a spare tripod for £20, and on the strength of that I bought a preston flat roller, so I now have the set. Maybe I should have said that I do actually have a cupping kit as well.

Steve

FishingFreakJack
English A Level Prospect

Postby FishingFreakJack » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:28 pm

seajunky wrote:Thanks for the advise Jack. I was fortunate enough to get hold of a Preston Pro V roller and a spare tripod for £20, and on the strength of that I bought a preston flat roller, so I now have the set. Maybe I should have said that I do actually have a cupping kit as well.

Steve

good news mate :) no reason now why you wont be baggin up make sure you get some good quality rigs. Or make them your self nothing beats that once you know what you know what your doing. To start off with for the first few sessions i wouldnt fish any further out than 7 meters just to get a feel for it.

perimold
Super Poster

Postby perimold » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:35 am

MMiddy make a uni top 2 and a half kit for around £20 bought two yesterday top notch
Sunny north Wales

Return to “Maggot Drowning”