Bidston Moss

A test section for WSf to see if we need to progress to a full blown Coarse and Carp Fishing Forum.

General Coarse Fishing reports and information in this section.

Moderator: John Petersen

Aid
Regular Poster

Bidston Moss

Postby Aid » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:26 pm

Has anyone fished the lake at Bidston Moss, I think it was part of the dock complex but is now on land that has been redeveloped by the Council/Forestry Commission. How do you get on to it and what is in it?

Thanks,

Aid

prawnster
Regular Prawn

Postby prawnster » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:29 pm

Fished it about 10 years ago before they fenced it off, loads of Rudd and Perch, some quite sizeable. Heard rumours of big carp and pike in there but never saw any evidence of them, urban myths maybe :shock: :D
2009 Specimen Hunt Winner 8-) ... 2012 Team Prawn Crackers 8-)

moan it in mid
Les Dawson

Postby moan it in mid » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:49 pm

l know neil price has fished it :D if anyone knows whats what in the lake he does :D ;)
the real starry and common boat king
If you want me - I am on the bank !!! :-)

karlvaughan
Regular Poster

Postby karlvaughan » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:21 pm

I used to fish it about 15 years ago quite a lot. I found it best to fish at the far end with your back to the rubbish tip (and the wind). It is fairly deep and can be snaggy (loads of bags that blow off the tip). I used to get lots of perch and eels when I fished it. Best perch 3.5 lbs and eels up to 4lb although there used to be loads of bootlaces (probably a lot less chance of eels these days). I usually fished the waggler over depth at closer range with van-den-eyne expo groundbait and a maggot feeder further out. Usual hook baits were red maggot and worm. I did loose a few monsters which may have been carp or tench. Hook lengths generally about 2.5lb with a 3lb main line on the float rod, thicker on the feeder. No idea how it fishes these days but may well be just the same.
Tight lines, Karl......

prawnster
Regular Prawn

Postby prawnster » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:51 pm

I'm curious to know if you can get to it now? :?
2009 Specimen Hunt Winner 8-) ... 2012 Team Prawn Crackers 8-)

neil.price37
Obsessed Poster

Postby neil.price37 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:34 pm

entrance to the overflow now is through a path inside the tip or climb over the old penny bridge and walk up the old dockside, there are massive perch in there with the biggest taking lures and spinners at dusk/dawn, worms just attract the large eel population in there as does any meat baits I'm told by the carp fishermen and have seen some pics they had of fish over 12lb ,there is a good population of roach

Aid
Regular Poster

Postby Aid » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:50 pm

Thanks for the info think I'll give it a go over the next few weeks, Neil do you meen carp over twelve a eel of that size would be a bit special to say the least, best I've ever done was 6lb.
Also looks like the only way in now is a footpath next to the tip so parking is not great.

neil.price37
Obsessed Poster

Postby neil.price37 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:00 pm

yes carp 12lb mate 8) :D

1971efc
Regular Poster

Postby 1971efc » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:03 pm

can you still get into the area from mosslands drive,, the footpath goes behind the allotments and over the railway footbridge,,, been years since ive been that way
IF IT AINT BROKE THEN DONT TRY FIXING IT

neil.price37
Obsessed Poster

Postby neil.price37 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:14 am

ya may be able too but a few times i've been that way the gates have been locked and others they've been open :?

moan it in mid
Les Dawson

Postby moan it in mid » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:21 pm

is it locked or is it open theres only one way to sort it out fighhhhhhhht :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
the real starry and common boat king

If you want me - I am on the bank !!! :-)

Salt Chunk Mary

Re: Bidston Moss

Postby Salt Chunk Mary » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:43 pm

I lived behind the overflow as a kid and used to fish it quite a lot in the summer about 15 years ago; used to pull out pretty big bags of rudd (~1 lb) and a few big perch (~2 1/2 lb). The fish weren't in the best of shape though. Last time I came back I went down for a few hours but blanked on maggot BUT I did see a fairly big common (maybe around 15 lb) about 5ft out off one of the jetties. To be honest, I think the place has been hammered by birds and the eels have disappeared since the dock was filled in. You can get to it by parking on Mosslands Drive (either by the field or the footpath entrance) and then heading down the footy and over the bridge, it's about a 10 minute walk with gear.

I might head down and do a couple of hours on it tonight and see what it's doing.

PS - The gates at the Penny Bridge roundabout are definitely locked.

Return to “Maggot Drowning”