Small coarse fish needed for stocking Wirral pond

A test section for WSf to see if we need to progress to a full blown Coarse and Carp Fishing Forum.

General Coarse Fishing reports and information in this section.

Moderator: John Petersen

fish41

Small coarse fish needed for stocking Wirral pond

Postby fish41 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:18 pm

Our small fishing club (3 small wirral ponds) suffered an algal bloom on one of our ponds this year (first time ive experienced this in almost 20 years of fishing the pond). Spoke to EA and they put it down to one of 3 reasons 1) weather conditions and water level this year 2) fertilizer from farmers field 2) increase in nutrients due to some bullrush clearance we carried out in spring.
We lost all or most of our fish roach, perch and possibly a few crucians but a long lost carp reappeared.
Looking for help in locating a source for couple of hundred small fish.

Cheers
Rob

scoobysti
Super Poster

Postby scoobysti » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:40 pm

what club is this? how do you go about joining?
i used to be in the irby club but they've rapped up so i'm looking for a new club.
i don't know if you of damhead lane in willaston, but the paddock of land with the pond in was sold a few months back, i'm not sure what's happening with the pond but there's a big "no fishing" sign now. it could be worth approaching the farmer to see what the score is. the pond is absolutely stuffed with small stuff, but there's also big carp, tench and bream in there and also about a dozen grassies, which is very rare nowadays.

Psychocabbie
Obsessed Poster

Postby Psychocabbie » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:36 am

remember if you undertake any fish moving you'll need a permit from the EA and i think a bill of health too.
if you got caught without them then the club would most likely fold under the fines.
my dad is in the "rookery" angling club (part of the irby working mens club) and they recently looked at purchasing from Hamptn Springs.

scoobysti
Super Poster

Postby scoobysti » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:11 pm

yeah, the EA will probably net it for you

fish41

Postby fish41 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:49 pm

Thanks guys for help. The EA are ok about stocking if it is an enclosed pond/lake without any water courses running into it. You then only need a section 30 consent form which is free. The health check stuff and heavy fines come if you try to introduce stuff into water which is either running or has streams running into or out of it.

Will give Hampton Springs a buzz.

bigdave
Armchair Sea Angler

Postby bigdave » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:12 pm

im pretty sure there are restrictions to the time of year you can transfer fish....im sure its from october but not sure when it ends but its only ba short window of a couple of months

try lathoms in burcough, he sells fish
If I want your opinion, I'll ask you to fill out the necessary forms.

Hooknose King/ dab King/master archer/starry smooth hound (boat) king

www.merseysideanglers.com

fish41

Postby fish41 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:59 pm

Thanks bigdave.Your correct EA recommend cooler months for fish transfers. Will add your suggested fish farm to my list.

Return to “Maggot Drowning”