East Coast Cod Hunt Sat Night

If you are planning a fishing trip, then let us know the venue and the time, even add meeting place for others to catch up with you.

Moderator: John Petersen

Big Kev
The Masterful One

East Coast Cod Hunt Sat Night

Postby Big Kev » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:10 pm

Some crackin cod have been taken over the past few days and with flat seas all week(until Sat,typical),i`m hoping there`ll still be some around on Sat night.....forecast is for a 3ft swell but that should`nt be a prob....leaving at 7.30pm Sat to get there for 10pm...high water is 1.50am so fishing til 3am....£20 buys a seat if anyone fancies joining me....fishing Dimmo...squid and razor have been taking the better fish,so no dramas if you can`t get worm. :thumbsup:
winter fishing sucks

starfish
Obsessed Poster

Re: East Coast Cod Hunt Sat Night

Postby starfish » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:42 pm

Good luck kev :thumbsup:
i am looking forward to going up there in two weeks for the euro open
but until then i am getting all my gear in tip top condition
so no fishing for me till then. :D
look forward to seeing how you get on :thumbsup:
Starfish sea fishing. Youtube.

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:56 pm

Slim Jim`s had the best so far with this 15lber...Image
With the form the Mersey is in,it`s got to be worth a drive.
winter fishing sucks

Milligan
Super Poster

Postby Milligan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:15 pm

I have had several trips across in the past few weeks,since before Christmas, plenty of mops ( Codling around couple of pounds or less ) around, my biggest this year so far is just shy of four, but I have had a few decent takers.
I have noticed that most of the bigger specimens have come to fresh worm, my biggest was on fresh, in a combo with razor, but the rest were on frozen with razer, or squid.
Some whopping whiting about as well if you are into them..
I have been fishing the Holderness for the past 30 years,every winter, and so far this season is the best mop year we have had for quite a while.

No specific place seems to produce more or better than others ,I have had fish right down from Mappleton, all the way to Easington , if you drop right you can bag up, but otherwise, well, you can still pick up a good bag of fish, but maybe not what you were after..

The beaches are not good at the moment, a lot of sand has been shifted leaving some beaches devoid of sand, just clays, other beaches now have a small gutter, then a huge sandbank which can be a nightmare .

Wherever you go there is a chance if a decent fish or two, flat seas seem to be best , or a few days after a blow as you would expect when it fines down.

Wherever you end up, tight lines. :thumbsup: Thats some journey you are making Kev ,I hope everything pans out for you .

I will be on the Holderness on Friday myself, but a daylight session, plenty of fish around in daylight as well.

Millsy

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:16 pm

Good luck Kev Laaaaaa :wave:
Sea Fishing is the Dogs Danglies :D

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:22 pm

Thanks for that Millsy.....right place,right time is usually the way over there,but it`s annoying when the cod come in and the conditions are good through the week,but poxed at the weekend.Latest on magicseaweed is looking promising so it`s got to be worth a go.Most of the time on the Mersey,you`re hoping for a 2lb or 3lb codling and you`ve had a result...over there you can dream a bit more which makes it much more appealing to me.Good luck on Friday laaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :thumbsup:
winter fishing sucks

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:28 pm

This post made me laugh....
Hope the guy that fell down the cliff last week at easington is ok, you probably didn’t realise how far you fell, about half way up the cliff backwards with your box on your back, rolling all the way down straight on your head, you landed right between two parts of the cliff with your head,
We thought you were brown bread pal,
He stood up brushed himself down and said “the oops we do to catch cod mate” lol, I didn’t know whether to laugh or call an ambulance ... ether way he took a big fall I hope he’s ok.
winter fishing sucks

Milligan
Super Poster

Postby Milligan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:57 pm

Strange, but last year I started to come across to the Mersey because the Holderness was pants, the Mersey was OK for me on the few times I managed to get across, I had a few 3 pounders from Otters, but nowhere else, just the usual whitings and flats across at THS.I have had so much help from this forum , on here its unreal, cant thank you all enough !
I am really just a newbie at Mersey fishing, have not even fished up at Perch Rock yet.Its all to do..

This year it seems this year the other way around..fish on the Holderness and not a lot on the Mersey, at least I am lucky in that living up near Junc 22 on the M62 I am about halfway ish.... so I can pick and choose depending on the weather, the reports, and if my mate hopalong Graham with his one good and one bad leg can make it. :badgrin:

The M62 is usually just a car park when I make my way to Liverpool cant wait for the improvements to get finished.

Millsy

Maerig the hunter
Obsessed Poster

Postby Maerig the hunter » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:37 am

Would have liked to chum you on this one Kev but I have been three weeks off work with a bad back. Going to try and go in on monday so I darent risk chucking out a four ouncer just yet. :doh:
Good luck anyway, hope you caatch a biggie. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
2023 species so far : Chub 6lb.Flounder, whiting, minidab, undersea cable and lesser Mersey condonfish!

Happiness is a rod in my hand : Shakespeare :naughty: Had the tee shirt once

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:50 am

The strong southerlies have brought the dreaded red weed in :doh: doubt i`ll bother with a 5 hour round trip just for a short window of opportunity. :help: Vale Park here we come.... :roll:
winter fishing sucks

Milligan
Super Poster

Postby Milligan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:06 pm

Hi, I was up near With yesterday, no probs, a mate was lower down toward Dimmo, no probs with weed, and had a fair few decent table sized fish to boot .
I wanted to go further south but the bionic man Graham couldnt manage even the low cliffs at Runnels, so we opted for the easy access at With North, it was slow and I only had the one at about 2lb, but the weather was good.

Hoping for good things next week.

Millsy

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:17 pm

Could`nt get any fresh bait anyway.....selling my gear soon with the way things are going :help:
winter fishing sucks

Return to “Fishing Sessions”