Round 5 Result and Report

A series of friendly matches for site members to enter.

Moderator: spudgun

Adam Roper
Obsessed Poster

Round 5 Result and Report

Postby Adam Roper » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:46 pm

1st - Dave Roberts.............97cm - 11 Points (£39)
2nd - Stu Davies................60cm - 10 Points (£26)
3rd - Roy Schofield............57cm - 9 Points (£13)
4th - Dave Radcliffe...........29cm - 8 Points
5th - Jordan Roberts............0cm - 1 Point
5th - Tom Murphy...............0cm - 1 Point
5th - Steve Duffy................0cm - 1 Point
5th - Adam Roper...............0cm - 1 Point
5th - Daniel Davies.............0cm - 1 Point
5th - Mark Davies...............0cm - 1 Point
5th - Dylan Kensall.............0cm - 1 Point
5th - Paul Tucker...............0cm - 1 Point
5th - Rob Turner................0cm - 1 Point

Longest Specimen Fish Pool - Stu Davies - Garfish 60cm - 33 Points (£13)

A quick turnaround from Round 4 saw us arrive for Round 5 at a glorious Pwllheli beach. The weather looked pretty perfect with blue skies, broken cloud and a nice onshore breeze. We arrived an hour before high water to get set up and booked on as we would be fishing the ebb down for four hours which is normally the prime feeding time at this venue.

As this was still technically a high water match we did the draw for pegs and then walked off up the stretch. We fished 500 yards to the right of the houses towards Llanbedrog and the beach was surprisingly quiet with only a few sunbathers and swimmers back towards the main beach.

Everyone got set up and ready for the off with the tactical decision of which species to target the topic of much conversation........................

Most people decided to try and target the Pwllheli staple summer species of Garfish and Bream with light line, tiny hooks and pop up beads being sent out into the crystal clear water as we got underway.

Action was decidedly slow in the first hour but the boredom was then broken by Dave Roberts who took this Garfish at close range..................

Dave continued to hook a further two Gars in the next 20 minutes only to lose both on the retrieve which is sometimes the way with these fish such is the unique shape of their mouths and the vigorous way in which they fight when hooked.

Dave Radcliffe then got in on the action with a nice Bass of 29cm..........................

Fish were still few and far between and all I could manage for my whole session was this image of perfection in miniature.............................

Dave Roberts then took a second Gar and Roy Schofield then found a Flounder to make it three men with fish on their cards. Three then became four as Stu Davies became the second man to find a Garfish which was also the best one of the day to take the Longest Specimen Fish Pool at 60cm..................

The rest were finding no luck either up in the water or on the deck as people continued to chop and change tactics in an attempt to find a fish. Roy Schofield then found a Bass to go with his Flounder to take him above Dave Radcliffe and into the money.

For the last half an hour a few of us watched Bass between two and three pound casually cruising up and down no more than 5 feet from the shoreline and in no more than six inches of water. A couple of people chucked a bait at them which was completely ignored however Paul Tucker then chucked his leftover ragworm in which was immediately snaffled as soon as it hit the water!

All in all a difficult day at a glorious venue and a well fished and well earned win for Dave Roberts backed up by some good angling from Stu Davies, Roy Schofield and also Dave Radcliffe.
2017 Species

mark davies

Re: Round 5 Result and Report

Postby mark davies » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:25 pm

It was a very hot day but still very enjoyable. Daniel had a good day and was pleased he finally got to fish a match even if the fish didn't show but he loved watching the bass :D :D

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:34 pm

Another tough day at the office. Well done to all that caught and took the money. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:48 pm

Shame no bream showed up but those gars can be great fun on light tackle.
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:00 pm

Well done to those who found fish in more tough conditions.
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound ...turbot...small eyed ray

roy.s
Super Poster

Postby roy.s » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:26 pm

Hats off to the lads that mastered the skill of catching gars, most impressed :clap: :clap:
Thanks again Adam for organising another lovely venue. :thumbsup:
2018 species.......Codling, Whiting, 5 B Rockling, Dab, Plaice, Flounder, Pouting, Thornback ray, Starry smoothound, Common smoothound, Bass, Tub Gurnard, Lesser Weever, Tope pup, Dogfish, Silver eel
2017 species.......17

starfish
Obsessed Poster

Postby starfish » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:50 pm

well done lads dave has got them gars nailed top fishing there dave well done

davie495
Obsessed Poster

Postby davie495 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:23 pm

Tough one that. And some burnt bits to look after now
Chuffed with my first gar. Thanks to mr Roberts for the rig advice and godders on the fact that distance isn’t needed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stu

2018 Species:[12] Cod, Ting, Dab, Huss, LSD, Flounder, Smoothound, Garfish, Pollock, Mackerel, Pout, Eel

2017:[24]
2016:[14]

Paul Argent
Obsessed Poster

Postby Paul Argent » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 pm

Well done Dave on the win some nice Gar and some great fishing in a different environment/tactics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tom
Obsessed Poster

Postby Tom » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:55 pm

When Roy had bites in less than the last 10mins of the comp we both could'nt believe it. After 5 hours of motionless tips, it was exciting to see an actual fish bite.
Well done to everyone, it was a nice day.

My rod tip went in due the reel having a nic on, found out later in the evening. So it cut the braid and I lost my well worn in spigot section of the rod!

It was a good ride with that rod but at 25pound it's days were closing in. Farewell rod tip for I hope you see many fishes without me, if there's any on that beach haha
Whiting, Pollock, Pouting, Dab, Codling, Huss, Dogfish, Plaice, Blenny, 5B Rockling, Flounder, Silver Eel, Bass, Thornback, Starry, Common SH, Ballan, Corkwing, Rock Goby, LS Scorpion Fish, Tompot, Grey, Tub G, Launce, Mackerel, PoorCod, Weever, Cuckoo

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:04 pm

Well done to everyone especially those that caught, a Crackin venue on its day :thumbsup:
The Wrassewrangler

parky1991
Regular Poster

Postby parky1991 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:49 pm

Some hard fishing from last couple of matches it seems! Well done those that have managed to catch! Finally back in the country again and looking forward to getting back out for the next round!
Engineer, Part Time Rockstar and all round Good Egg.

Return to “WSF Summer League 2018”