Beaten By the Apprentice

Reports and info for those on the small boat scene
wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Beaten By the Apprentice

Postby wobbler72 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:28 pm

My son Mark and I had another day out on the boat today.

We started off around Bardsey. We're still learning the island and we found it hard on this weak flood to find a decent tide and drift. I was first in with a Wrasse of around 1.5lb, but after a couple of moves we found a better stamp of fish.

Mark shouted up "fish on" to his baited feathers and as he bought it to the boat, I was in too on my Fiiish Black Minnow. Mark had our first Coalfish of the year. It was about 1.5lb. I had a Pollack of around 3lb. So far, so good. Mark had a few more Pollack and then found a few launce. We moved again into the rough stuff. I was into some thing meaty straight away ......... in the form of a snag Mark had a few more Launce.

As the tide turned, we decided to make a move to nearer our base in Pwllheli. We anchored up and put out a big bait and a small bait rod each. After a short wait, Mark was in on the small baits. "Dunno what this is", he said "doesn't feel like a doggie". He was right and wrong. It turned out he had our first Bream of the year AND a doggie.

Next drop he had a better Bream of 1lb 10 oz, (which it turned out tasted wonderful on the BBQ a short while ago ).

We carried on, and I caught doggie after doggie and eventually a small Gurnard.

Mark caught more Bream, a couple of Huss and just as it was time to leave he hit the jackpot. He called it straight away as a Tope, but it didn't really peel any line off the drag. "Small Tope perhaps" he said. "Maybe a Spurrie"? I speculated. And then we got colour. It looked like a Tope, and by the way it reacted, it looked like it didn't like boats! It tore off, stripping line off a well set drag, just like a Tope should.

He got it back to the boat and I managed to tail it into the boat.

Another beautifully conditioned fish of around 20-25lb; we didn't weigh it

I must teach him to how to pose with a fish mind!

All too soon, it was time to head back to shore. Beaten by the apprentice, but secretly, quite proud

Til next time
Kev

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: Beaten By the Apprentice

Postby Steve Duffy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:53 pm

Great session Kev,Nowt wrong with being beaten by your lad. :clap: :clap: Fresh bream on the barbie...bliss. :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

starfish
Obsessed Poster

Postby starfish » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:25 pm

beautiful bream :thumbsup: and a nice tope to end the day top fishing :D

Blue topaz
Obsessed Poster

Postby Blue topaz » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:12 am

Excellent report and pictures what a superb days fishing and superb conditions too

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Postby Richie Fisher » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:48 pm

Great report and photos Kev. Cracking boat, they're obviously paying you too much! :lol: :lol:
2018 Species
Dab Codling Whiting Poor Cod Flounder Bronze Whaler Shark Spotted Gully Shark Smoothhound Lesser Sand Shark Kabeljou Steenbraas Galjoen Elephant Fish Barbell Plaice Pollock Thornie Ballan Eel Bass G Weever Palometa Bream Butterfly Ray

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:01 am

Richie Fisher wrote:Great report and photos Kev. Cracking boat, they're obviously paying you too much! :lol: :lol:

I'm very good value for money! :lol:
Kev

tatch1
Obsessed Poster

Postby tatch1 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:32 pm

Great report & photos Kev :thumbsup: you must have taught the apprentice right if he's showing you how to go on now. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: good to see the bream in I might have to have another go at them I think great fun I had last time on light gear

Return to “Small Boats”