Round 8 Result and Report

A series of matches where the 2 fish rule gives everyone a good chance of winning,making it an ideal starting point for newcomers to match angling.

Moderator: spudgun

Adam Roper
Obsessed Poster

Round 8 Result and Report

Postby Adam Roper » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:38 pm

1st - Ste Atkinson............63cm - 11 Points (£51)
2nd - Dave Roberts..........57cm - 10 Points (£34)
3rd - Paul Argent............35cm - 9 Points (£17)
4th - Roy Schofield..........34cm - 8 Points
5th - Dylan Kensall..........30cm - 7 Points
5th - Stu Davies..............30cm - 7 Points
7th - Gary Swift..............29cm - 5 Points
8th - Mark Davies............28cm - 4 Points
9th - Adam Roper............27cm - 3 Points
9th - Rob Turner.............27cm - 3 Points
9th - Steve Duffy.............27cm - 3 Points
12th - Jeff White.............26cm - 1 Point
12th - Stu Baker..............26cm - 1 Point
14th - Richie Fisher...........0cm - 1 Point
14th - Dave Radcliffe.........0cm - 1 Point
14th - Paul Tucker.............0cm - 1 Point
14th - Wayne Kirby............0cm - 1 Point

Longest Fish Pool - Ste Atkinson/Paul Argent - Whiting/Flounder 35cm (£8.50/£8.50)

This years WSF Winter League came to a conclusion on what was a very cold wet and windy day. As per the fixture list (that has been published for over 6 months now) I arrived at 09:20 to peg the Town Hall Steps stretch of prom to find around 30 anglers already pegged out right along the stretch up and past Guinea gap :roll:

09:20 was basically bang on low water and the water itself was still 300 meters from the wall so only reason for them to be there that early is because they knew we were already planning to fish there so they deliberately decided to do what they did. If the clowns responsible are reading this then I hope you got what you deserved fishing wise which is nothing. Idiots.

Anyway....this left us with two options either sink to their level and squeeze into the gaps in between them and ruin everyones day, or, take the sensible option and move to Vale Park. We took the second option and moved over to Magazine Lane where we made the draw in the shelter of the.....shelter and then made our way out along the prom.

The weather was still pants but undeterred we all got ready to go....................

Fish were very few and far between in the first 90 minutes with Stu Davies taking the only fish in the form of an under size Whiting of 16cm. As the water gave some more depth for the fish to follow I managed to find an in size Whiting of 27cm to get a fish on the card. Not a lot else happened for the next hour however Gary Swift and Mark Davies both found Whiting before Dave Roberts then found this good Dab of 27cm.................

As we approached High water a few fish finally started to show with more people getting their account opened for the day. Ste Atkinson stamped his card with this 28cm Codling....................

A few better Whiting then began to show with Stu Davies and Dylan Kensall taking fish of 30cm and Roy Schofield taking a better one again of 34cm however the best Whiting of the day was to fall to Paul Argent with this chunky 35cm fish.....................

Dave Roberts then found his Whiting to go with his Dab to get two fish on the board and set the total to beat for everyone else. Nobody who had a Whiting could find a flat to go with it however the man who could was Ste Atkinson who found this cracking Flounder of 35cm to go with his Codling of 28cm to give himself the win on what was definitely not a day for the faint hearted weather wise.....................

We all then quickly headed for the Egremont Ferry pub to dry off and sort out the final overall standings and presentation...............
2017 Species

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: Round 8 Result and Report

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:09 pm

The hardest match weatherwise this winter league.Well done to Ste on his match win and well done to Paul Tucker on his league win. :clap: :clap: Well done to all that attended the matches and made it what it is.Finally I'm sure I speak for all when I say thanks to Adam for all the effort he's put in running the winter league. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:40 pm

Well done on the win Ste laaaa :thumbsup:
The Wrassewrangler

starfish
Obsessed Poster

Postby starfish » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:01 pm

absolutely horrendous conditions dont think my hands have ever shanken like that making bating up near impossible :lol:
so well done to all that stuck it out top marks :thumbsup:
there was some top fishing from dave roberts and steve :D
shame we could not get to are chosen venue for the day
absolutely no idea why so many would be out pleasure fishing that early in conditions like that
but a real big that you to adam for running a very enjoyable winter league. :thumbsup:

mark davies

Postby mark davies » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:27 pm

The weather was dire but it was great to get back out after many years absence. Nice to see some of the old faces and meet some new ones ,and thanks for to adam for organising it all and must be said that the sunday lunch at the eggy was great and very welcome after a very wet ,windy,and cold session well done on the win steve .

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:03 pm

Top danglin` Ste laaaaaaaaaaa on a pretty grim day....great report Adam...pity those knobs caused a change of plan...we`ve had it before at Perch Rock when a gang were standing behind the fort hours before they could start to fish...they obviously know the score but find it impossible to communicate to avoid such probs,unlike NWASAC aka Heather n Bill who have always worked with WSF to find a compromise should a clash occur.
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound ...turbot...small eyed ray

roy.s
Super Poster

Postby roy.s » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:40 pm

Great win Steve, top dangling, on a beautiful day at Vale Park :lol: :lol: :lol:
Also well done to big Dave and Paul, :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Roll on summer 8)
2018 species.......Codling, Whiting, 5 B Rockling, Dab, Plaice, Flounder, Pouting, Thornback ray, Starry smoothound, Common smoothound, Bass, Tub Gurnard, Lesser Weever, Tope pup, Dogfish, Silver eel
2017 species.......17

Paul Argent
Obsessed Poster

Postby Paul Argent » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:31 pm

Well done Steve on your win, and to Dave as runner up. It was a really challenging day trying to find the fish in the windy, wintry wet conditions which were with us throughout the match. Another good turn out, see you all in the Sumer League in May

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Return to “WSF Winter League 2017”