Round 7 Result and Report

A series of matches where the 2 fish rule gives everyone a good chance of winning,making it an ideal starting point for newcomers to match angling.

Moderator: spudgun

Adam Roper
Obsessed Poster

Round 7 Result and Report

Postby Adam Roper » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:42 pm

1st - Tom Roberts.................62cm - 11 Points (£63)
2nd - Dave Roberts...............57cm - 10 Points (£42)
3rd - Gary Swift...................56cm - 9 Points (£21)
4th - Paul Tucker.................55cm - 8 Points
5th - Ste Atkinson................51cm - 7 Points
6th - Dave Radcliffe.............32cm - 6 Points
7th - Rob Turner.................28cm - 5 Points
8th - Adam Roper................27cm - 4 Points
8th - Dale Edwards..............27cm - 4 Points
10th - Dylan Kensall............26cm - 2 Points
10th - Stu Baker................26cm - 2 Points
12th - Jordan Roberts.........25cm - 1 Point
12th - Steve Duffy.............25cm - 1 Point
12th - Wayne Kirby............25cm - 1 Point
12th - Stu Davies...............25cm - 1 Point
12th - Jeff White...............25cm - 1 Point
17th - Andy Wilmore...........25cm - 1 Point
17th - Paul Argent..............25cm - 1 Point
17th - Richie Fisher............25cm - 1 Point
17th - Roy Schofield...........25cm - 1 Point
17th - Graeme Stuart..........25cm - 1 Point

Longest Fish Pool - Tom Roberts................Flounder 35cm (£21)

Round 7 saw yet another good turnout with 21 anglers at the Kinglake Road stretch of prom for the first of two penultimate high water matches to conclude this years WSF Winter League.

The weather was glorious with bright blue skies and sunshine and hardly a breath of wind which really took the edge off the freezing temperatures. Amazingly when I arrived a good two hours before the match in order to peg the stretch there were already a couple of pleasure anglers present who when I asked what they were doing told me that they "were there early to reserve a spot and they weren't moving". At this point the water wasn't even at the end of the groynes :lol: Anyway I pegged around them and got back to the car to get everyone booked on.

We did the draw and made our way to our pegs and the tide was soon on its way in and up to the wall which saw us get underway at 12:40. Most people were expecting a tough match however there were a few fish showing early on albeit mostly undersize Codling.

Ste Atkinson was first to strike finding a 26m Flounder to get his flat fish on the card early on. A couple of others then began to find round fish as the Whiting came on the feed with everyone finding fish of similar size between 25-27cm. Anyone finding a better one would be in pole position for the longest fish pool and also the win. Dave Roberts took one of 31cm to put himself out in front however Dave Radcliffe then bettered this with a fish 1cm longer at 32cm which would turn out to be the best round fish of the day. As ever in this format however the flat fish are crucial and Stu Davies delight at finding one in size was clear to see..................................

Anyone who could find two fish was going to be at the sharp end of the leaderboard and Ste Atkinson was the first man to do it taking a Whiting to go with his Flounder however this didn't stop him catching flat fish as Ste took another two in size fish in the form of Dabs again at 26cm.............

Dave Roberts then got his Dab to make it two fish on the card whilst down at the left hand side of the stretch Gary Swift was also going about his business efficiently taking a decent Whiting and Dab combo to get himself right in the mix. League leader Paul Tucker had been struggling to get himself in contention in the first half of the match however he quickly took two double headers in consecutive casts to get his flat and round on the board.

Everyone else was struggling to get both a flat and a round until Tom Roberts showed why this format is so exciting and competitive to fish. With an hour to go in the match Tom had a blank card however that quickly changed. Firstly he took this Flounder of 35cm which was a cracking fish on the day and enough to take the longest fish pool..............................

Before quickly following it up with a last cast Whiting which coupled with the Flounder was enough to see Tom take the win on the day.

We now move futher up river to the Town Hall Steps for the final round in two weeks time.
2017 Species

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Re: Round 7 Result and Report

Postby Big Kev » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:50 pm

Great report as per Adam....well done on the win Tom. It was always gunna be tough in those conditions,
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound ...turbot...small eyed ray

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:01 pm

Well done Tom. :clap: :clap: Another frustrating day with undersize dabs and cracking bites which produced nothing. :huh:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

starfish
Obsessed Poster

Postby starfish » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:54 pm

well done to all and a good start to fishing for tom well played :D
it was hard fishing but thats fishing for ya it is a small fish venue really
and here are a few pics of the average stamp of fish that do show up.

roy.s
Super Poster

Postby roy.s » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:38 pm

Great report Adam, :clap: ,and well done to all those in the money. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Abundance of small fish made it hard going on some pegs !! :evil:
2018 species.......Codling, Whiting, 5 B Rockling, Dab, Plaice, Flounder, Pouting, Thornback ray, Starry smoothound, Common smoothound, Bass, Tub Gurnard, Lesser Weever, Tope pup, Dogfish, Silver eel
2017 species.......17

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Postby Richie Fisher » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:48 pm

Difficult day, but great to be out. Well done to those who were in the money. Judging by the photo above, I need smaller hands!
2018 Species
Dab Codling Whiting Poor Cod Flounder Bronze Whaler Shark Spotted Gully Shark Smoothhound Lesser Sand Shark Kabeljou Steenbraas Galjoen Elephant Fish Barbell Plaice Pollock Thornie Ballan Eel Bass G Weever Palometa Bream Butterfly Ray

Maerig the hunter
Obsessed Poster

Postby Maerig the hunter » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:25 pm

Thanks for another good report of another good needlematch Adam. Well done to the hairsplittin, nitpicking, rod twitchin finicky bait spinning winners. :D
Sorry I couldnt manage to join the merry bunch of single pointers again, but I am laid up with a bad back, :cry: off work for a week or three if I can wangle it.
Hope to be fit for the finale and pub grub and of course give the trophy winners the well deserved clap at the end.! :rofl:
Happy new year to all. :wave:
that was a year to forget for me :huh:
2018 species: At last :badgrin: Whiting, Doggy, dab, French bass and thornie :dance:

Happiness is a rod in my hand :dance: Shakespeare

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:12 am

Crackin report Adam, well done to the winner and all who took part, Sorry Adam I didn't turn up, had a family thing that had to be done, should be there at the last one.
The Wrassewrangler

stephen atkinson
Obsessed Poster

Postby stephen atkinson » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:34 pm

Great report Adam, :thumbsup: Well done to the top 3, well deserved :clap: Hopefully make the last match and try and get in the top 3 for the first time in this years winter league. :D
Species 2018: coding. Whiting. Dab, flounder,Thornback ray, pouting, plaice, 3br

daley12
Obsessed Poster

Postby daley12 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:56 pm

well done the winners and adam for running the league this year i wont be at the last match.back for summer league .will be fishing seaforth this month sometime hope to see some of you there .

Return to “WSF Winter League 2017”