Round 5 Result and Report

A series of total length matches ran by Adam Roper open to all site members where you can widen your species and venue knowledge as well as learning lots too.

Moderator: spudgun

Adam Roper
Obsessed Poster

Round 5 Result and Report

Postby Adam Roper » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:41 pm

1st - Adam Roper.............465cm (13 Whiting, 5 Dabs).................................11 Points
2nd - Dave Radcliffe.........337cm (7 Whiting, 4 Dabs, 1 Plaice, 1 Gurnard).........10 Points
3rd - Dylan Kensall...........286cm (1 Smooth Hound, 1 Bass, 1 Whiting, 1 Dab).....9 Points
4th - Gary Swift..............166cm (4 Dabs, 3 Whiting)...................................8 Points
5th - Dave Roberts...........163cm (4 Dabs, 3 Whiting)..................................7 Points
6th - Jeff White..............114cm (2 Whiting, 1 Plaice, 1 Dab)........................6 Points
7th - Rob Turner..............54cm (2 Whiting)............................................5 Points
7th - Maerig Darley...........54cm (1 Whiting, 1 Dab)...................................5 Points
9th - Andy Wilmore...........50cm (1 Whiting, 1 Dab)..................................3 Points
10th - Roy Schofield..........37cm (1 Plaice).............................................2 Points
11th - Steve Duffy............32cm (1 Flounder).........................................1 Point
12th - Stu Davies..............26cm (1 Thornback Ray).................................1 Point
13th - Jordan Roberts........25cm (1 Whiting)..........................................1 Point
14th - Richie Fisher...........24cm (1 Dab)..............................................1 Point

Specimen Fish Pool..............Dylan Kensall - Smooth Hound - 105cm

Round 5 saw us at the Rock Channel for the first of two back to back visits in search of Smooth Hounds as the bonus species. There was a brisk onshore wind blowing when we arrived which was putting a bit of a chop on the water as well as slowing the ebbing time as it emptied out the gully. This meant that we waited a little longer than usual to get out which resulted in a shortened match of three and a half hours.

14 anglers turned out for this Round and I used the time as we waited for the gully to empty to get the photos done. Here are the lads who fished Round 5........................

Steve Duffy was first up, showing the way to the 'right hand of the post crew'.................

Jordan Roberts was next...................

Then Jeff White.....................

League leader Dave Radcliffe was looking to extend his advantage.................

Richie Fisher was smiling as usual.....................

Next up was Stu Davies....................

Andy Wilmore was looking to close the gap on Dave Radcliffe at the top................

As was the man in form at the moment, Dylan Kensall.................

Maerig Darley was back in the fold for this one.....................

Rob Turner was next up....................

Before Gary Swift who had apparently come as Keanu Reeves from the Matrix.....................

And last man in line was Roy Schofield.....................

So we all got out and made the walk to varying distances along the bank. I went furthest initially but was then joined by Gary Swift and Rob Turner who went further to my left and Dylan Kensall then joined me to my right hand side. There was then a gap back to the two Daves, Roberts and Radcliffe along with Jordan Roberts and then further back still came Andy Wilmore, Stu Davies, Jeff White, Maerig Darley, Richie Fisher, Roy Schofield and Steve Duffy.

All in was called just after 11:00 and we were underway. Most if not all people went the same way early on and put out big crab baits to see if the Hounds were there and everyone got the same result. They were nowhere to be seen. My first three casts saw an undersize Gurnard and two in-size Whiting hang themselves on my crab baits so I decided to gamble and make the early switch to scratching rigs and try and build a length and an early advantage that way.

It worked and my next six consecutive casts saw me take six double shots of fish......................................

Dave Radcliffe quickly cottoned on to what I had done and had soon upped sticks from where he was to come and get in on the action which proved to be a good decision as he too started to build a good length and put me under some pressure as we went into the last 90 minutes of the match.

Most others had now also followed suit and switched to small baits and hooks and a few more people were finding fish and the likes of Gary Swift and Dave Roberts started to tick their cards over with a few fish. Jeff White was also over 100cm and put himself in the mix for some decent points.

As we approached the last half an hour the flood was in full swing and I had literally just commented to Dave Radcliffe that I thought there would be a chance of a Hound when Dylan Kensall gave the shout right on the verge of all out that he was in. Dylan had put his rod down on the sand as he was collapsing his tripod when it suddenly started heading up-tide along the beach! Luckily he managed to grab it in time and the fish was on.......................

With Smooth Hounds being the bonus species for this match a good fish with the length doubled could easily be over two meters so this fish was going to make a big difference to the overall result if Dylan could land it.................

The fish was fighting hard and taking line from Dylan on a number of occasions. Myself, Dave Roberts and Dave Radcliffe stood and watched as the fish then did something that I have never seen before when around 30 yards from the beach it jumped clean out the water mid fight!

It looked like a good fish and as it came onto the beach in the surf it looked even better........................................

It weighed 11lb 8oz and measured in at 105cm and was also a new PB for Dylan.............................

With that the match had ended and all out was called. I had always planned to fish an hour and fifteen minutes after low and that's what we did as I know this still gives you enough time to get back off the bank safely, albeit wading back through the gulley to get back to the main beach.

Everyone made their way back and it was nice to see the RNLI waiting to greet us to make sure we got off safely (along with some nosey parker who was putting two and two together and getting five :roll: ) I had a quick chat to them as I always seem to do at this match each year and reassured them we were fully aware of the tide times etc and also told them we would be back again in two weeks.............................

As stated Round 6 sees us back here again in a couple of weekends time.
2017 Species

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: Round 5 Result and Report

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:59 pm

A good report as usual Adam :clap: :clap: :clap: .Some good fishing to be had at the far end.If it continues back trouble will prevent me doing the walk again.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:16 pm

Top report and win Adam....belting hound Dyl laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,pity non more showed.
Species 2017...Dogfish...Dab...Whiting...flounder...Bull Huss.....smut.....Thornback ray...spotted ray...Bass

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:10 pm

Another great report and well done on the win Adam :clap: :clap:

Looks like an interesting match where responding to the conditions on the day payed off.

stephen atkinson
Obsessed Poster

Postby stephen atkinson » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:52 pm

Great report as always Adam, a change of tactics early on producing the goods. :clap: and well done to dyl on a cracking smoothy and pb. :clap: :thumbsup:
Species 2017: coding. Whiting. Dab, strap (conger) Thornback ray, plaice,3br,Lsd, common smoothhound, starry smoothhound, flounder,Tub gurnard, Bass, Weaver, snotty eel, pouting

roy.s
Super Poster

Postby roy.s » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:17 pm

Well done Adam, Dave and Dyl....top dangling. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Your becoming a bit of a Hound Meister Dyl !! Nudging your PB up again... :thumbsup:
2017 species.....(17) Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Codling, Whiting, Pouting, Bass, Silver eel, Conger eel, Thornback ray, Starry smoothhound, Common smoothhound, Weever, Tub Gurnard, Dogfish, Five bearded Rockling, Tope (pup),

Patriot
Super Poster

Postby Patriot » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:05 pm

Super fish Dyl. I was next to you and and just about to call it a day when i saw you running up the beach. Brilliant scrap and a worthy PB.

I got similar pics to above, but i thought Dave Roberts was video-ing the scrap? Would love to see that, especially when the starry clean jumped out of the water!

Other than yours, the hounds did'nt show. But plenty of smaller fish coming in. Well pleased with my 36cm Plaice. Looking forward to the next one in a fortnight
Only here for the cod!

Maerig the hunter
Obsessed Poster

Postby Maerig the hunter » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:24 pm

Great report of a good day out. Well done to all who made the gruelling walk out, and especially to the winners.

PS.You judged the tide perfectly Adam!!
2017 species : Whiting :roll: rock salmon:roll: Flounder, shore crab, otterspool bigsnag, soreneck, acheing bells :lol:

Paul Argent
Super Poster

Postby Paul Argent » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:38 pm

Fantastic report, thinking about how everybody was getting on all day.. See you all soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:38 pm

Nicely done gents. A cracking report as always Ads and good to see you back to your winning ways!

Where have those hounds gone? :think: Good to see one come out and what a cracker it was...well in Dyl :clap:
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

golfer
Regular Poster

Postby golfer » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:45 am

well done to adam & dave for the quantity,
but hats off to dyl for putting on a show for us all at the death. tailwalking smoothies amazing!
I was slow packing up so was one of the last back, reckon another 15 minutes & I would have got wet. so a well judged ending adam.
gary

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:44 pm

A crackin report there Adam, well done on the win :thumbsup: well done to Dyl on that belter of a PB Hound :thumbsup:
The Wrassewrangler

Dyl
Obsessed Poster

Postby Dyl » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:21 pm

Cheers guys I was buzzing after catching my new PB it gave a right good scrap and it was hooked on a size 2 Aberdeen :? Well done on the win Adam you wr on form :thumbsup: top fishing Dave also there was no catching Adam after them 6 double headers. Let's hope the Hounds are back in 2 weeks time
2017 Bass 2.7lbs / S Hound 11.8lbs
Cod, Ting, massive Turbot!

Motoxmoyle

Postby Motoxmoyle » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:38 pm

Great report smooth hound looks a cracker.
I don't care what it is as long as it's a big Un !

Ranny715
Super Poster

Postby Ranny715 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:48 pm

Da iawn Dyl. Cracking fish. Would have loved to seen it take off in the air.
In Denmark for a few weeks visiting outlaws. Have bought some gear so hopefully have a crack at what swims here.

Return to “WSF Summer League 2017”