Round 3 Result and Report

A series of total length matches ran by Adam Roper open to all site members where you can widen your species and venue knowledge as well as learning lots too.

Moderator: spudgun

Adam Roper
Obsessed Poster

Round 3 Result and Report

Postby Adam Roper » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:20 pm

1st - Ian Welsh...................643cm (4 Smooth Hounds, 16 Dabs)........................11 Points
2nd - Roy Schofield.............588cm (4 Smooth Hounds, 9 Dabs)..........................10 Points
3rd - Dave Roberts..............493cm (2 Smooth Hounds, 12 Dabs)..........................9 Points
4th - Jordan Roberts............413cm (1 Smooth Hound, 1 Whiting, 12 Dabs).............8 Points
5th - Adam Roper...............384cm (3 Smooth Hounds, 7 Dabs)...........................7 Points
6th - Steve Duffy................329cm (10 Dabs, 2 Whiting, 1 Flounder)....................6 Points
6th - Andy Wilmore.............329cm (1 Smooth Hound, 12 Dabs)..........................6 Points
8th - Stu Davies..................292cm (2 Smooth Hound, 6 Dabs, 1 Flounder)............4 Points
9th - Dave Radcliffe............270cm (9 Dabs, 2 Flounder, 1 Gurnard).....................3 Points
10th - Dylan Kensall............259cm (2 Smooth Hounds, 4 Dabs)...........................2 Points
11th - Jeff White...............255cm (2 Smooth Hound, 4 Dabs, 1 Rockling)..............1 Point
12th - Dale Edwards...........234cm (10 Dabs).................................................1 Point
13th - Rob Turner..............223cm (2 Smooth Hounds, 3 Dabs)...........................1 Point
14th - Gary Swift...............191cm (8 Dabs)..................................................1 Point
15th - Alex Colston.............49cm (2 Dabs)...................................................1 Point
16th - Graeme Stuart..........45cm (2 Dabs)...................................................1 Point
17th - Mick McAloon............23cm (1 Dab)...................................................1 Point

Longest Fish Pool - Dave Roberts/Roy Schofield/Rob Turner...............Smooth Hound 93cm

So as you can see from the results table above this was a pretty hectic match with fish a plenty on offer at Talacre. Hopes were high as we all met up in the sand dune car park as this venue normally fishes well throughout the year with good numbers of fish present however I don't think anyone expected the stamp of fish we caught and also the quality of fishing on offer.

This was a slight relief to me given that I had added this venue to the fixture list for the first time this year and the walk out to the mark itself is comparable to that at the Rock Channel.

We all got ready and made our way out onto the beach and off down to the mark. People went at their own pace and we all got down to the waters edge and got ready to go. Here are the runners and riders who lined up for this one......................

First up and back after missing the last round was Graeme Stuart....................

Next man up and needing some suncream on his napper was Jeff White..................

Steve Duffy was impressed with the new venue.........................

Mick McAloon was the next man in line....................

Andy Wilmore was next up........................

Followed by Ian Welsh.....................

League Leader Dave Radcliffe was next man up.....................

Gary Swift was the next in line......................

Followed by Stu Davies.......................

Dylan Kensall was next up......................

And then came Dale Edwards.....................

I was after Dale and then to my right hand side I had our newest debutant, Rob Turner..................

After Rob came Roy Schofield....................

Alex Colston was next man in line...................

Then came the Roberts duo, first Jordan...................

And then last man in line, big Dave Roberts...............

So all in was called and out went 17 baited rigs in search of anything that swam. We didn't have to wait long for some action as pretty much straight away my rod started to nod away. I picked it up and felt some decent resistance and after a short fight a nice Smooth Hound of about 5lb was on the beach and I was off the mark. Others were also into fish first cast and as I turned around I could see Dave Roberts into one too and it looked like a better fish. Whilst Dave was still playing his fish Dylan Kensall then gave the shout that he was also into a Hound on his first chuck and both Dave and Dylan then beached good fish to get off the mark themselves. Dave's fish was the better of them and at 93cm would see him take a share of the longest fish pool.......................

Dylan's fish was also a good one and got him off to a great start in the match.............................

The frantic action continued along the beach with other anglers also taking Smooth Hounds early on however it was clear that the pacesetter was going to be Roy Schofield who after a blank first cast then hooked Smooth Hounds on his next six consectutive casts however sadly and frustratingly for Roy he only landed three of them however he was still flying and also in the mix for the longest fish pool with this 93cm fish...................

Jordan Roberts was also not to be outdone by his dad and also got in on the Smooth Hound action with this fish.........................

I also managed to find a second Hound after a nightmare period which saw me with no rig in the water for 30 minutes with this fish................

Rob Turner and Stu Davies had also taken Hounds of there own to keep themselves in the mix. Rob's fish got him into the 93cm club and his share of the longest fish pool on the day....................

Up the other end of the stretch, Andy Wilmore and Jeff White had also taken Hounds however it was Ian Welsh had also started well and had also taken three Smooth Hounds by the time the run had died off from the ebb to get himself right up into contention with Roy Schofield.

As the flow in the water died the attention quickly switched to smaller species with anglers trying to quickly build a length with double shots of Dabs. There were also a few nice Flounder taken including this cracking specimen of 42cm by Steve Duffy...................

Other species that came out included Whiting, Gurnard and Rockling.

Everyone had caught a fish by half way through the match and there were plenty of people in contention with plenty of fish about to build a length quickly as well as the chance of the Smooth Hounds coming back onto the feed as the run picked up again into the flood.

Dave Roberts, Roy Schofield, Jordan Roberts and Ian Welsh were all ticking their cards over consistently and I was managing to hang on to their coat tails just to keep myself in the mix.

Anyone who could find any more Hounds would be in pole position and as the flood started there were a few people who did just that. Roy Schofield took a fourth Hound to briefly give himself the lead and jump ahead of Ian Welsh. Down our end Stu Davies also got back in on the Hound action taking this second Hound to bump up his length nicely........................

Dabs and the odd Flounder also kept coming but it was going to come down to the Smooth Hounds to decide the overall match result. Could Ian Welsh find a fourth Hound to take the match away from Roy Schofield. Yes he could. Ian with his fourth and ultimately match winning Hound..............

So that was that and Ian took a really hard fought and hard fished win. Ian showed real skill ability to catch fish on a venue he had never fished before and kept his card ticking over superbly to get the result. Well done Ian. Roy Schofield took second however I think everyone recognised how unlucky he had been to hook a total seven Smooth Hounds and only land four, two of which came off literally under the rod tip on the beach. Well fished Roy and still a good result. Dave Roberts again put in another consistent display to finish third. Well done Dave.

The fishing was fantastic and made for a brilliant match however the walk back to the car quickly brought everyone back to reality!

Things now move on quickly as Round 4 is this coming Sunday 11th June at Harrison Drive.
2017 Species

davie495
Obsessed Poster

Re: Round 3 Result and Report

Postby davie495 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:32 pm

Now that is what you call a venue!! :thumbsup:

1. Yes it was a long walk, but no wading across a river
2. Base camp sorted. didnt move my tripod once
3. Hounds, flounder, dab oh and hounds
4. potential for bass (non turned up but who cares) Dave R had a gurnard too
5. Decent hounds on my Akios airspeed was ace fun (with 30lb braid to make it feel even more lively)

really enjoyed that one Adam - full marks for organising and even the safety briefing at the start of the match!

Regular fixture??
Stu

2017:[23] Whiting, Dab, Cod, Plaice, Flounder, Smooth-Hound, Thornback, Bull Huss, Black Bream, Lesser Weaver, Greater Weaver, Pouting, Poor Cod, Tompot Blenny, Rock Goby, LSD, Mackerel, Gurnard, Pollock, Tope, Ballan, Mackerel, Cuckoo

2016:[14]

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:01 pm

Great report as ever Adam. :clap: :clap: The venue fished its nuts off,probably better than expected on the hound front.The walk is a killer.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

daley12
Obsessed Poster

Postby daley12 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:28 pm

caught on the hop with the smoothounds didnt expect that but the most enjoyable match for a long time bites galore and a few species across the beach as well .well organised again adam .there certainly was a good atmosphere yesterday,really enjoyed it .well done Ian and to the other winners and hard luck roy with the lost fish .

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:45 pm

Another great report from a really interesting match, thanks Adam.

Well done to Ian and the lads who picked up the pools :clap: :clap:

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:05 pm

What a great match and report...well done to the winners...never heard of hounds from there before,so i wonder if it was a one off...only one way to find out.
Species 2017...Dogfish...Dab...Whiting...flounder...Bull Huss.....smut.....Thornback ray...spotted ray...Bass

Adam Roper
Obsessed Poster

Postby Adam Roper » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:09 pm

Big Kev wrote:What a great match and report...well done to the winners...never heard of hounds from there before,so i wonder if it was a one off...only one way to find out.

You do get them there Kev but not normally in those numbers but then again there were 17 rods out in a line. Roy had 6 on in a row one after other but lost 3 of them as he was on small hooks to start with.
2017 Species

MickMac2

Postby MickMac2 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:12 pm

Although I only caught 1 fish due to my inexperience and lack of shore crab bait, I enjoyed the venue and well worth the walk. Will definitely try harder to get the right bait and will use a rucksack instead of lunking my tackle on one shoulder next time we visit!!! Well done for venue choice and especially well done to the leaders.

golfer
Regular Poster

Postby golfer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:06 pm

I may have woken up with stiff legs this morning but well worth it.
absolutely fantastic match, seemed like everyone was hooking into smoothies at one point.
I don't think I saw ian stop sprinting around all day, a well deserved win for sure.
thanks to adam for a top report as usual & an excellent venue choice.

gary

Patriot
Super Poster

Postby Patriot » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:37 pm

Great report Adam.

Could'nt believe how well it fished - i expected more in the way of dabs. Steve Duffy's flounder was a stonker and so was his whiting

And Graham next to me had a bass and it dropped off right on the edge.

Plus my first two hounds. Well chuffed!
Only here for the cod!

dinglecodcatcher
Obsessed Poster

Postby dinglecodcatcher » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:50 pm

Well done to all who fished yesterday. What a venue. I'd happily fish a match there every weekend if there was one. Thanks to Adam also for putting in so much effort organising these matches. And also thanks for the kind comments. I enjoyed every minute yesterday and learnt even more again.

Well done all :clap:

Flounder, Dab, Cod, Whiting, Dogfish, Octopus, Thornback Ray, Bass, Smoothie

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:57 pm

Wow, what a fantastic match...fish galore!! Gonna be a regular match venue from now on no doubt.
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

zippie01
Obsessed Poster

Postby zippie01 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:03 pm

Thanks for another well run match Adam.
Was it a killer of a walk ? Yes, especially with my buggered ligament damaged knee !
Was it worth the walk ? Hell yes !!
Great new venue on the fixture list. I will forever be wondering what pulled my rod off tripod and then straightened my sakuma manta hook ! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well done on the win Ian, you must've been worn out last night :lol:
2017:Whiting,Codling,Dab

Dyl
Obsessed Poster

Postby Dyl » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:17 pm

What a Cracking match and venue BENDIGEDIG!!! Thank Adam for organising and a good turnout :thumbsup: :clap: I'll be trying the long welsh walk again on Thursday the 15th if anybody fancies joining me?
2017 Bass 2.7lbs / S Hound 11.8lbs
Cod, Ting, massive Turbot!

roy.s
Super Poster

Postby roy.s » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:56 pm

Great match, no blanks, a variety of species and a venue with shed loads of potential !!!!
Well done to Ian on the win. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Losing fish is always gutting, but sometimes its only fair that the fish wins !! Also. like Andy, my rod also went horizontal, then took off like an exocet towards Hilbre island, just grabbed the butt before the line snapped !!!!
Pity the match finished when it did, because the hounds were definitely back on the feed again !!!
Another well run match Adam and a great report. :thumbsup:
2017 species.....(17) Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Codling, Whiting, Pouting, Bass, Silver eel, Conger eel, Thornback ray, Starry smoothhound, Common smoothhound, Weever, Tub Gurnard, Dogfish, Five bearded Rockling, Tope (pup),

Return to “WSF Summer League 2017”