Round 1 Result and Report

A series of total length matches ran by Adam Roper open to all site members where you can widen your species and venue knowledge as well as learning lots too.

Moderator: spudgun

Adam Roper
Obsessed Poster

Round 1 Result and Report

Postby Adam Roper » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:07 pm

1st - Graeme Stuart............272cm (4 Plaice).....................11 Points
2nd - Dale Edwards............150cm (2 Plaice).....................10 Points
3rd - Dave Radcliffe...........127cm (4 Flounder)..................9 Points
4th - Gary Swift................74cm (1 Plaice).......................8 Points
5th - Adam Roper..............73cm (2 Flounder)...................7 Points
6th - Kev Brindle...............63cm (2 Flounder)...................6 Points
7th -Andy Wilmore............60cm (1 Plaice).......................5 Points
8th - Ste Atkinson.............44cm (1 Plaice).......................4 Points
9th - Ian Welsh................38cm (1 Flounder)....................3 Points
10th - Steve Duffy.............36cm (1 Flounder)...................2 Points
11th - Ste Trish................0cm....................................1 Point
11th - Paul Argent............0cm....................................1 Point
11th - Dave Roberts..........0cm....................................1 Point
11th - Jordan Roberts.......0cm.....................................1 Point
11th - Dylan Kensall.........0cm.....................................1 Point
11th - Lee Hobbs............0cm.....................................1 Point
11th - Stu Davies............0cm.....................................1 Point
11th - Richie Fisher............0cm.....................................1 Point

Specimen Fish Pool - Graeme Stuart/Dale Edwards...............Plaice 39cm

This years got underway at Caldy, the chalk and cheese venue on the Dee on what was a glorious sunny spring afternoon. 18 Anglers were looking to open their account and get some points on the board with Flounder being the main quarry on offer with the chance of Plaice too which were the bonus species for this match.

As ever the tide seemed to take an age to break the bank but once it did it was soon charging towards us and we all made our way out over the sand to meet it and hopefully the fish it was bringing with it.

As this was a high water match it was pegged so here is how the draw went and where people ended up...................

Pole position in Peg 1 was Dave Roberts...........................

I was in Peg 2 and next to me in Peg 3 was Steve Duffy..........................

Debutant Paul Argent was next up in Peg 4...............................

Stu Davies was back in love with Caldy in Peg 5....................................

Andy Wilmore had found his mojo and was in Peg 6..............................

No-one drew Peg 7 so there was a gap to Dave Radcliffe in Peg 8............................

Richie Fisher was in Peg 9.................................

No-one drew Peg 10 so next man up was Kev Brindle in Peg 11...........................

Ste Trish was the man in Peg 12......................

Ian Welsh was next up in Peg 13...........................

Peg 14 was Gary Swift......................

Peg 15 was Jordan Roberts.........................

The current Winter League champion, Lee Hobbs, was in Peg 16......................

Graeme Stuart was in Peg 17..................................

Ste Atkinson was next up in Peg 18........................

Dylan Kensall was in Peg 19................................

Dale Edwards was the man at the end of the line in Peg 20.............................

So all in was called and this years WSF Summer League was underway. As ever at this venue fish can come as soon as the water gets to you and today was no exception with a few anglers managing to take a fish on their first cast in less than 6 inches of water. One of those people was myself with this 37cm fish..........................

Dave Radcliffe also took a Flounder on his first cast, whilst Graeme Stuart and Dale Edwards went one better and both took a bonus Plaice. I managed to take a second fish on my second cast and Kev Brindle also took two Flounders early on, whilst Gary Swift and Andy Wilmore both also found a Plaice. Dave Radcliffe was then at it again taking a double shot of Flounder to take him to four fish in the first hour. Ian Welsh then managed the best Flounder of the day at 38cm. Graeme Stuart however was a man on a Plaice mission and he took another two Plaice to give him four bonus fish and put himself way out in front..............................

As it can do here sometimes, the fishing absolutely died after the first hour and everyone had to sit back and enjoy the sunshine whilst staring at motionless rod tips. There were plenty of other people enjoying the sunshine too, including these bathers and the one in particular out in the middle of Dave Roberts swim just casually having a swim and scaring any fish within a hundred yard radius in the process................

Not only did we have swimmers out in front of us, we then had a procession of scramble bikes decide it was a good idea to ride along the rocks and underneath everyone's rod tips............................

And that was all the excitement everyone got in the second half of the match although Steve Duffy did prove that his time in the laboratory manufacturing his Urfe leads had been well spent by managing to take a Flounder in the last half an hour to the amazement of the other 17 anglers.

So that was that and Graeme Stuart took a well deserved win with his four Plaice on the day and gives himself an early lead in the overall standings going into Round 2 on 7th May at Harrison Drive T-Groyne.
2017 Species

Piotrek
Super Poster

Re: Round 1 Result and Report

Postby Piotrek » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:23 pm

Again great report mate well done

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:51 pm

Another interesting report Adam and well done lads :clap: :clap:

daley12
Obsessed Poster

Postby daley12 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:02 pm

yes great report and pics adam .was a good day to be out in the weather.

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:08 pm

Great report and pics Adam :clap: :clap: It was a bit surreal down our end of the match length with swimmers,dogs,drones,bikes and a gob $hite sailor who despite having the whole Dee estuary to play in came in so close he near carried off Dave Roberts gear by getting tangled in his line. :evil:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

stephen atkinson
Obsessed Poster

Postby stephen atkinson » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:54 pm

Great report Adam . :thumbsup: And a well deserved win to Mr stuart. :clap: Think I will be taking me sun cream next time face is all red. :oops:
Species 2017: coding. Whiting. Dab, strap (conger) Thornback ray, plaice,3br,Lsd, common smoothhound, starry smoothhound, flounder,Tub gurnard, Bass, Weaver, snotty eel, pouting

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:15 pm

Well done on the win Graeme.

Strange that nobody took a mixed bag of plaice and flounder :think:
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

al/c
Regular Poster

Postby al/c » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:17 pm

well done all, would have loved to be there but didn,t finish work till 12. will book the day off for the rest of the matches if possible. :thumbsup:

Paul Argent
Super Poster

Postby Paul Argent » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:44 pm

Well done Graeme, fantastic reporting of all the events, including swimmers and motorbikes. Great day, I first for me that I won't forget, looking forward to the next one, I might

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Paul Argent
Super Poster

Postby Paul Argent » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:45 pm

Catch next time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:56 pm

Great report Adam...good to catch up with the lads again and to meet Paul...better chance for a mingle at the next match...tough day at the office as expected...full marks to Graeme on the win and to Dave for snaring 4 when the rest of us struggled.
Species 2017...Dogfish...Dab...Whiting...flounder...Bull Huss.....smut.....Thornback ray...spotted ray...Bass

davie495
Obsessed Poster

Postby davie495 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:17 pm

i stand by my previous rants.. and despite my new found enthusiasm i am now back to being a caldy hater.

top dangling Mr Stewart, who had what was the biggest egg and bacon barm ever!! see you all at the drive
Stu

2017:[23] Whiting, Dab, Cod, Plaice, Flounder, Smooth-Hound, Thornback, Bull Huss, Black Bream, Lesser Weaver, Greater Weaver, Pouting, Poor Cod, Tompot Blenny, Rock Goby, LSD, Mackerel, Gurnard, Pollock, Tope, Ballan, Mackerel, Cuckoo

2016:[14]

zippie01
Obsessed Poster

Postby zippie01 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:25 pm

Was a lovely day for sunbathing, not so much for fishing !
Great to catch up with everyone.
I'm sure Mr Fisher was there too but missing off scoresheet?
2017:Whiting,Codling,Dab

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Postby Richie Fisher » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:32 pm

Well done to all who caught. I however enjoyed 4 hrs of lying on my back staring at a motionless tip... (and my rods didn't move either)!!
I know I'm forgetable, but Adam can I figure on the results please?
2017 Species
Dab, Codling, Whiting, 5-B Rockling, Rainbow Trout, Gr Weaver, Striped Bream, Flounder, Palometa, Plaice, Dogfish, Pollock, Smoothhound, Ballan Wrasse Angel Shark Butterfly Ray Painted Comber Pandora Bream

graeme stuart
Regular Poster

Postby graeme stuart » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:55 am

Adam excellent report :thumbsup: finished up with a beetroot face after all that sun! By the way i caught the last 2 fish 1hour into the ebb on 6ft & 8ftsnoods. P.S. Ad, the 7 is in the wrong plaice, 136 x2=272cm :badgrin:

Return to “WSF Summer League 2017”