WSF Summer League 2017 - Questions

A series of total length matches ran by Adam Roper open to all site members where you can widen your species and venue knowledge as well as learning lots too.

Moderator: spudgun

Adam Roper
Obsessed Poster

Postby Adam Roper » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:23 am

If anyone has any questions or queries about this years Summer League then please post below :thumbsup:
2017 Species

Paul Argent
Obsessed Poster

Postby Paul Argent » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:03 pm

As a newbie to WSF what is the ground like at Caldy? Is it really rough and with lots of snags or sandy and fairly clean?

Really looking forward to the first match, every venue will be a challenge for me as I have not fished any of the Wirral expect Otterspool. Where I have some recent successful evenings with plenty of nice Codling.

I have spent most of my fishing days on the east coast as born in Great Yarmouth, so can't wait to get underway and meet everybody.

Are we all going to be chasing the flat fish or is there the chase of something else?

Tight lines

davie495
Obsessed Poster

Re: WSF Summer League 2017 - Questions

Postby davie495 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:38 am

clean ground.

unlike what you are fishing off!
Stu

2018 Species:[12] Cod, Ting, Dab, Huss, LSD, Flounder, Smoothound, Garfish, Pollock, Mackerel, Pout, Eel

2017:[24]
2016:[14]

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:24 pm

Caldy info HERE 99% of fish landed will be flounder...odd plaice,school bass,whiting, and silver eels show,but don`t hold your breath.A mixture of sand/mud/stoney ground,but very rare to get snagged.Often fishes very well on the first of the flood as the fish follow the water up the estuary,so having a few baited rigs ready can get you bonus fish....
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound ...turbot...small eyed ray

graeme stuart
Regular Poster

Postby graeme stuart » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:36 pm

paul the beach is sand giving way to thick mud! at high tide you will be fishing of sea defence rocks, nooks and crannys averywhere,easyto lose gear.fish caught last year flounders, small codlets. there were small whiting caught but were under sized. hope this helps see you at the match :thumbsup:

Paul Argent
Obsessed Poster

Postby Paul Argent » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:03 pm

Great, thanks guys for all your comments and posts, can't wait to get underway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:14 pm

Any chance of changing the bonus fish at Caldy to plaice ? As 99% of fish landed will be flounder,it will be more difficult to land another species....i would be miffed to see my 45cm plaice get kicked into touch by a 25cm flounder....same script for round 7 T-groyne.
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound ...turbot...small eyed ray

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:27 pm

Big Kev wrote:Any chance of changing the bonus fish at Caldy to plaice ? As 99% of fish landed will be flounder,it will be more difficult to land another species....i would be miffed to see my 45cm plaice get kicked into touch by a 25cm flounder....same script for round 7 T-groyne.

Makes sense :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Adam Roper
Obsessed Poster

Postby Adam Roper » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:37 am

Big Kev wrote:Any chance of changing the bonus fish at Caldy to plaice ? As 99% of fish landed will be flounder,it will be more difficult to land another species....i would be miffed to see my 45cm plaice get kicked into touch by a 25cm flounder....same script for round 7 T-groyne.

That wouldn't happen as you do not double the length for the specimen fish pool you only double the length of the bonus fish in each match for the match itself in terms of total length :thumbsup: as stated in the rules thread ;) :lol:

However I do agree a Plaice would be more of a 'bonus' fish at Caldy so I will update :thumbsup:
2017 Species

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:38 pm

Adam Roper wrote:

That wouldn't happen as you do not double the length for the specimen fish pool you only double the length of the bonus fish in each match for the match itself in terms of total length :thumbsup: as stated in the rules thread ;)

I meant for the match scores rather than the pool,good sized plaice should`nt be usurped by poxy flounder ;)

Trishy
Obsessed Poster

Postby Trishy » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:50 pm

Got to agree , more flounders there than plaice so plaice should be the bonus fish. Anyone fished it recently?

Trishy
Obsessed Poster

Postby Trishy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:00 pm

Take that as a no then ...... or is no one talking!

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:36 pm

Trishy wrote:Take that as a no then ...... or is no one talking!

Its not that popular a mark anymore with all the extra rocks.The league match could be the first and last time I fish it.Will fish round the corner at Melloncroft Dr in future.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Trishy
Obsessed Poster

Postby Trishy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:40 pm

No it's hard work on those rocks . I will be putting my trainers in my bag to make things a bit easier when we are up there

Paul Argent
Obsessed Poster

Postby Paul Argent » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:08 am

Great report and photos from previous years, thinking that I may have a few casts or some fishing in the morning, always like making a day or a session out of the match date that I fish. May go to Perch Rock at low tide at 8:30am Before match. Happy if anybody what to try a few of my Zippies, always helps to try before making any judgements on gear.. any thought or better suggestions please post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Return to “WSF Summer League 2017”