January Totals

This years specimen hunt is run by Shaun1118,where the winner will receive the "virtual trophy".

Moderator: Shaun1118

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

January Totals

Postby Shaun1118 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:57 pm

The league was off to a flyer for the first 2 weeks as the weather was mild but the later half has been very wet and windy so many anglers have opted to stay indoors and spend the time doing them jobs around the house we seem to put off when its sunny... myself included.

So;
1st Wobbler................. 19 Points
2nd Brain900................ 16 Points
2nd Shaun1118............. 16 Points
4th Tony1.................... 12 Points
5th Dinglecodcatcher....... 10 Points
6th Godders.................. 7 Points
7th Trishy..................... 6 Points
7th Degs...................... 6 Points
9th Richie Fisher............. 5 Points
10th Big Kev................... 3 Points
11th KeithLee................ 2 Points

Fish of the Month as voted for by myself is Wobblers Flounder 2-1-0. What a fish, Weldone Kev :clap: Don't get to big headed though... its still just a flounder :badgrin:

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Re: January Totals

Postby wobbler72 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:58 pm

Not gonna get big-headed for a second Shaun. There's a long way to go and I've never caught a smoothie or ray of any kind from the shore :think:

Not often you get a slack-line bite from a Flounder though :)
Kev

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:14 pm

Looking at the table there's so much that will change. I'm currently getting 6 points of a sub-2lb doggie. I reckon we'll ALL catch a bigger doggie than that as the season unfolds. It's a real lottery.

There's no way the current Wrasse leader will still be earning 6 points come the summer and the current Bass 6 pointer will get relegated in the autumn for sure.

As I said, a long way to go.

By the way, the fish of the month on the forum as a whole would be Degs Cuckoo Ray by a country mile. That's a special catch :clap: :clap: :clap:
Kev

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Postby Shaun1118 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:27 pm

wobbler72 wrote:Looking at the table there's so much that will change. I'm currently getting 6 points of a sub-2lb doggie. I reckon we'll ALL catch a bigger doggie than that as the season unfolds. It's a real lottery.

There's no way the current Wrasse leader will still be earning 6 points come the summer and the current Bass 6 pointer will get relegated in the autumn for sure.

As I said, a long way to go.

Oh yes, every month the table should hopefully be dramatically different, even in November most entering should still be in contention for the title 8)

By the end of a year anyone fishing regularly should hopefully have a 2lb Bass, Dogfish and Wrasse to their name but who will catch the biggest... like you say a real lottery on the common species, whats going to win this competition is the likes of what I consider bonus fish such as 3bd Rockling, Spotted rays and Garfish which not everyone will have. If you catch every fish that's on the board thats 26 points that no-one can take away from you.

wobbler72 wrote:By the way, the fish of the month on the forum a a whole would be Degs Cuckoo Ray by a country mile. That's a special catch :clap: :clap: :clap:

Totally agree with you :clap:

Brian900
Obsessed Poster

Postby Brian900 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:13 pm

wobbler72 wrote:There's no way the current Wrasse leader will still be earning 6 points come the summer and the current Bass 6 pointer will get relegated in the autumn for sure.

Yes I will :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:
Ok may be not that fish :think:

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:31 pm

[quote="Brian900"]PS - anyone else notice you are known as Brain900 on the tables :lol:

Sorted haha

My left hand is rather keen when it comes to typing and seems to beat my right hand to the I :lol:

There a innuendo in there I'm sure :lol:
Last edited by wobbler72 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kev

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:58 pm

Shaun1118 wrote:By the end of a year anyone fishing regularly should hopefully have a 2lb Bass, Dogfish and Wrasse to their name but who will catch the biggest... like you say a real lottery on the common species, whats going to win this competition is the likes of what I consider bonus fish such as 3bd Rockling, Spotted rays and Garfish which not everyone will have. If you catch every fish that's on the board thats 26 points that no-one can take away from you.

We're on the same page buddy .... except on species!

I don't know the Mersey at all well. My Cod PB is a puny 3lb 2oz and I've never caught a thornback ray never mind a spotty (from the shore). Conversely, where I fish should throw up some decent 3 Beards and Gars if I target them. I reckon Gurnard, Mullet, Turbot and Sole will be challenging and Tope are a lottery (hooking them is easier than landing them ;) )
Kev

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Postby Shaun1118 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:40 pm

wobbler72 wrote:We're on the same page buddy .... except on species!

I don't know the Mersey at all well. My Cod PB is a puny 3lb 2oz and I've never caught a thornback ray never mind a spotty (from the shore). Conversely, where I fish should throw up some decent 3 Beards and Gars if I target them. I reckon Gurnard, Mullet, Turbot and Sole will be challenging and Tope are a lottery (hooking them is easier than landing them ;) )

Just cos you know how and where to catch them doesn't mean everyone else does... If more than 3 Rockling and 3 Gars are submitted I'd be very shocked. The species I threw out where just a couple of the top of my head, I doubt a turbot while make a appearance in the league even if people went out to target them 8)

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Postby Shaun1118 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:47 pm

Sorry kev, I've edited one of your posts instead of quoting it and now a portion of it is lost :doh:

My apologies :doh:

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:57 pm

No worries Shaun ;)
Kev

Trishy
Obsessed Poster

Postby Trishy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:54 pm

I'm not much of a specimen hunter at all , so I'm well pleased I'm just on the table. Rays are plentifull at certain times in the Mersey, and I've had quite a few sole from the Mersey including a two pounder and plenty a round a pound. Haven't had a bass for a few years though , best get to Hall road or Formby for a few sessions

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:13 pm

Shaun1118 wrote:Just cos you know how and where to catch them doesn't mean everyone else does... If more than 3 Rockling and 3 Gars are submitted I'd be very shocked.

Three Beards can show anywhere you find Conger. Good sized fish baits are the way to go. They make superb eating btw ;)

As for Gars, watch for the Whitebait jumping, and either float fish slithers of fish or spin for them with small toby's or Dexter wedges (my preferred method). They're feisty little beggars so great fun to catch :)

HTH
Kev

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:57 pm

Trishy wrote:I'm not much of a specimen hunter at all , so I'm well pleased I'm just on the table. Rays are plentifull at certain times in the Mersey, and I've had quite a few sole from the Mersey including a two pounder and plenty a round a pound. Haven't had a bass for a few years though , best get to Hall road or Formby for a few sessions

A two pound Sole is a specimen in my book Steve :clap:
Kev

Trishy
Obsessed Poster

Postby Trishy » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:52 am

wobbler72 wrote:
Trishy wrote:I'm not much of a specimen hunter at all , so I'm well pleased I'm just on the table. Rays are plentifull at certain times in the Mersey, and I've had quite a few sole from the Mersey including a two pounder and plenty a round a pound. Haven't had a bass for a few years though , best get to Hall road or Formby for a few sessions

A two pound Sole is a specimen in my book Steve :clap:

Part of a catch of 3 , at Bromborough during a NWASAC, PMS match, caught dropping rg tipped with Maddies and crab down the wall. The stretch at mariners wharf on my side of the river produces too but with worm being best the baits don't last very long with the local crab population being lively during sole season

Return to “Specimen Trophy 2014”