What to target

This years specimen hunt is run by Shaun1118,where the winner will receive the "virtual trophy".

Moderator: Shaun1118

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

What to target

Postby Shaun1118 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:59 am

There has been some nice whiting about the last few weeks all across our target coastline so it's possibly the easiest way of getting on to the board at the moment. A fish of 1lb heads up the species but for how long?

The flounder will be feeding hard and packing on the weight ready for spawning in the coming weeks so will you make the most of this feeding frenzy? Target them in the smaller rivers and estuaries after a period of dry weather to be in with a good shout of a bin lid. You don't want to be wading through countless small ones in the spring when you should be fishing for bass so get this one out the way early ;)

The best coalfish fishing is through January's and into February so you'd be insane to not to get out and have a go. There won't be many with a coalfish under their belt come the end of 2014 so targeting fish like this will put you in a commanding position. Target them after a good blow and fish under the cover of darkness using rag and various shellfish. Currently wobbler has caught the only coalfish on the board but who will be next to join him?

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Re: What to target

Postby wobbler72 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:25 am

Interesting subject Shaun.

Coleys are worth targeting full stop. Great fighters, especially in the surf. But the "window" is bigger than you think. I've had them on lures as late as June from the rock marks.

As well as the Whiting, we should all be looking at Codling and Dabs. Who knows what next winter will be like.

If the weather calms down, there's always thornies, Conger and three beards to keep you interested off the rocks.

Decisions, decisions!!
Kev

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:27 pm

Think im gonna target the dabs n whiting over the wkend, see if I can get summat on the board nice n early.
The Wrassewrangler

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Postby Shaun1118 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:40 pm

wobbler72 wrote:Interesting subject Shaun.

Coleys are worth targeting full stop. Great fighters, especially in the surf. But the "window" is bigger than you think. I've had them on lures as late as June from the rock marks.

As well as the Whiting, we should all be looking at Codling and Dabs. Who knows what next winter will be like.

If the weather calms down, there's always thornies, Conger and three beards to keep you interested off the rocks.

Decisions, decisions!!

I've also had coalies on lures during the summer but there a realistic target this time of year instead of hoping for one in and amongst the pollock ;) like you say they do go nuts and are fun on light tackle haha

The codling are the obvious choices the post was more to try get people thinking about other fish instead of cutting about the mersey with tunnel vision looking for a cod haha.

Yeah there's conger thornies and Rockling about but there a more realistic target at other points in the year :)

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:27 pm

For me Shaun (and especially at this time of year) it's all about what the weather and the tides will allow me to target and then evaluating the best (or my favourite) option. Well, that and the Missus .... and the kids, the grand-kids, the dog, work, what needs doing around the house, the garden etc..... Come to think of it, I don't even like fishing! I just go for the respite! :)
Kev

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:24 pm

I had a pop at the Turbot today. It was tough going at times with the wind and weather, but managed three:

Biggest was 6.25 oz. Close but no cigar :doh:

I've got the week off for Easter. Might nip over to see if their big brothers and sisters are around ;)
Kev

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:02 pm

Lovely looking fish Kev. :clap: :clap:

Never had one myself so maybe that should be a target for me

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:45 pm

Nice fish Kev....had my best at Cymyran Bay; you get small ones there,but also fish over 3lb .....either way they make a nice change :clap:
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:55 pm

I've had them to 8lb off the boats. Fabulous eating fish!

Not had a really decent one from the shore though but my mates John and Colin have had them to around 7lb, so it is possible :)
Kev

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Postby Shaun1118 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:50 pm

Weldone Kev 8)

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:41 am

Nice turbots Kev :clap:
The Wrassewrangler

Stanthejagman

Postby Stanthejagman » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:24 pm

Nice one Kev...Turbot are on my list for this year
8)

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:39 pm

Lovely looking fish...you can do no wrong with the flats at the moment Kev :clap: :clap:
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:24 am

There's 6 points to be had for the first one over 8oz gents ;)
Kev

tony1
Obsessed Poster

Postby tony1 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:35 pm

What cracking marked fish, good stuff Kev :clap: :clap: :clap:
Double knackered

Return to “Specimen Trophy 2014”