Round 8 Result and Report and Overall Result and Final Standings

A series of matches run in a league format for "active site members" only, offering laid back introduction to match fishing.
Prescot Angling is kindly sponsoring this years league.

Moderator: spudgun

Adam Roper
Obsessed Poster

Postby Adam Roper » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:10 pm

1st - Graeme Stuart....................62cm - 11 Points
2nd - Lee Hobbs........................58cm - 10 Points
3rd - Adam Roper......................56cm - 9 Points
4th - Dave Roberts.....................54cm - 8 Points
5th - Stu Davies.........................53cm - 7 Points
6th - Dave Radcliffe...................50cm - 6 Points
7th - Richie Fisher.....................30cm - 5 Points
8th - Dale Edwards.....................28cm - 4 Points
9th - Alan Middleton...................27cm - 3 Points
10th - Steve Duffy......................0cm - 2 Points
10th - Andy Wilmore...................0cm - 2 points
10th - Gary Swift.......................0cm - 2 Points
10th - Jeff White.......................0cm - 2 Points

Longest Fish Pool - Graeme Stuart.............Whiting 36cm

So the final round of this years Winter League saw 13 anglers make the early rise to get to the Town Hall Steps to see who could take the match on the day and also to see who would be crowned the 2016-17 WSF Winter League winner and who would win the WSF Longest Cod Trophy 2016-17.

I had put out 16 pegs but with only 13 lads booked on we scrapped the first three pegs and pegs 4-16 went into the draw. Everyone picked their peg and here is how we lined up along the stretch for the final time this Winter.....................

First man up in Peg 4 was Dave Roberts......................

Stu Davies was in Peg 5....................

Jeff White was he man in Peg 6.......................

Dave Radcliffe was in Peg 7......................

Dale Edwards was next up in Peg 8 still in contention for the overall title....................

Peg 9 was Lee Hobbs looking to take his first WSF Winter League Title.................

Steve Duffy was in Peg 10........................

Alan Middleton was in Peg 11.........................

I was then next man up in Peg 12 knowing I had to better Lee Hobbs result if I wanted to take the title........................

Gary Swift was in Peg 13.....................

Peg 14 was Graeme Stuart....................

Andy Wilmore was in Peg 15..............

Final man in the line up was Richie Fisher in Peg 16................

So all in was called and the match began.........slowly! Very little showed for the first hour of the match with a few undersize fish coming onto the prom, most notably for Steve Duffy who took both a 24cm Plaice and a 23cm Dab in the his first three casts.

First man to strike and put the marker down on the day was Graeme Stuart who took this donkey Whiting of 36cm. The length does not do the weight of the fish justice as it was a really deep round fish of well over a pound. Never the less at 36cm it got Graeme off to a good start and put him out in front on the day. It was also good enough to give Graeme the longest fish pool on the day.............................

A few more people were now finding fish, most people finding Whiting, including myself and Lee Hobbs who had both found 30cm fish, whilst Dale Edwards had a 28cm Whiting on the board. It was going to be close!

As ever it came down to being able to put a flat and a round combo on your card and as has been the theme right through this years Winter League it was going to come down to who could find the flat that would decide the result on the day and also this years overall title.

Dave Radcliffe had taken a Dab early on and was looking for his round which he found with a 25cm Whiting. Stu Davies had bettered this with a 26cm Dab and a 27cm Whiting. Graeme Stuart then consolidated his position at the top of the leaderboard on the day by finding his Dab to go with his 36cm Whiting

Dale Edwards could not find a Dab so that meant it was going to come down to Lee Hobbs and myself for the overall title if either of us could find one.......................................

I was first to strike with this Dab of 26cm.............................

So it was over to Lee to see if he could do what he has done so consistently all Winter and go one better than me to take the title. I didn't have to wait long to find out as next cast saw Lee do the business yet again and take this Dab of 28cm to give himself a 2cm lead over me with 45 minutes to go..........................

Try as I might by taking another three Dabs but I could not better my 26cm fish which meant that as all out was called Lee Hobbs had done it taking 2nd on the day and more importantly taking the overall title of Winner of the WSF Winter League 2016-17.

So as is the tradition now once the fishing is finished we all piled into the Eggy Ferry pub for some well earned dinner and of course the trophy presentation.

So first of all was the WSF Longest Cod trophy 2016-17 and this is yet another measure of Lee Hobbs consistently and top angling in this years league as his cracking fish of 51cm from the Seacombe Ferry match sees him take this years trophy. Well done Lee...............

So over to the final overall standings and third place overall in this years WSF Winter League was Dale Edwards finishing on 50 points. Dale has been very consistent since joining the ranks and this is another good overall finish. Well done Dale.........................

Second place overall this year was myself with 60 points. Lee has pushed me all the way this Winter and finally got the better of me over the last two rounds to stop me winning my fourth Winter League in a row however really pleased with another good league for me finishing second.

So this years WSF Winter League winner is Lee Hobbs finishing with 61 points. Lee has produced the goods week after week being up and around the business end of the points in every match and is a fully deserving and fantastic winner. Really well done Lee......................

So that meant that Lee Hobbs took the clean sweep on the trophy front taking both the overall title and also the Cod trophy...................

Final Standings After Round 8...................................

1st - Lee Hobbs.......................464cm - 61 Points
2nd - Adam Roper.....................446cm – 60 Points
3rd - Dale Edwards....................335cm - 50 Points
4th - Dave Radcliffe..................353cm - 44 Points
5th - Graeme Stuart...................364cm - 42 Points
6th - Dave Roberts....................374cm - 41 Points
7th - Richie Fisher.....................356cm – 36 Points
8th - Roy Schofield...................364cm - 30 Points
9th - Andy Wilmore...................226cm - 29 Points
10th - Gary Swift.......................246cm - 24 Points
11th - Jeff White.......................235cm - 23 Points
12th - Brian Roper......................247cm – 21 Points
13th - Steven Atkinson................156cm - 20 Points
14th - Jordan Roberts.................260cm – 16 Points
15th - Dylan Kensall...................238cm - 16 Points
16th - Steve Duffy......................247cm - 17 Points
17th - Stu Davies.......................210cm - 13 Points
18th - Kev Brindle......................107cm - 10 Points
19th - Maerig Darley...................97cm – 10 Points
20th - Mike Davis.......................159cm - 9 Points
21st – Alex Colston......................61cm – 8 Points
22nd - Nigel Skilling....................89cm - 7 Points
23rd – Ste Trish…….....................62cm - 7 Points
24th - Mick McAloon....................92cm - 7 Points
25th - Andy Jenkins....................168cm – 5 Points
26th - Andrew Hoyle...................159cm – 5 Points
27th - Gaz Williams....................116cm - 4 Points
28th - Alan Middleton..................63cm - 4 Points
29th - Dave McCreedy................106cm - 3 Points
30th - John Rodgers....................62cm - 1 Point
31st - Ian Welsh........................32cm - 1 Point

There was also one final surprise Trophy to present thanks to Richie Fisher. Richie very generously built and created this fine trophy for the WSF Specimen Trophy and presented it to the 2016 winner Andy Wilmore. Well done Andy and a great gesture too Richie.

So that's it for this years Winter League. Thanks to everyone for taking part and fishing the matches and I look forward to seeing you all plus hopefully some more new faces at this years WSF Summer League starting in early April.

Many thanks!

Adam
2017 Species

AndyJ
WSF STUNT MAN

Re: Round 8 Result and Report and Overall Result and Final Standings

Postby AndyJ » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:18 pm

Well done Lee, well done everyone.
Another great league Adam.

davie495
Obsessed Poster

Postby davie495 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:18 pm

Congrats to Lee - well fished that man :clap: :clap: , and thanks to Adam for running the league again :thumbsup:

one thing I hadn't noticed all year was the uncanny likeness of Steve Duffy and Alan Middleton. only now looking at them can I see it. they say everyone has a double :lol:

see you in caldy :( (or before if I am out)
Stu

2018 Species:[11] Cod, Ting, Dab, Huss, LSD, Flounder, Smoothound, Garfish, Pollock, Mackerel, Pout

2017:[24]
2016:[14]

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:47 pm

Great series of matches run by Adam.Well done to Lee and all the other winners.My 1 plaice,5 dabs and 1 whiting all just under size summed up my series. :lol:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Postby Richie Fisher » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:52 pm

Well done Lee on a hard-earned victory and unlucky Adam just a couple of centimetres short (I know the feeling) haha! Really enjoyed it this year and already looking forward to the Summer League.

Thanks once again Adam for a well-run competition.
2018 Species
Dab Codling Whiting Poor Cod Flounder Bronze Whaler Shark Spotted Gully Shark Smoothhound Lesser Sand Shark Kabeljou Steenbraas Galjoen Elephant Fish Barbell Plaice Pollock Thornie Ballan Wrasse Eel Bass

Trishy
Obsessed Poster

Postby Trishy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:15 pm

Well done Lee , good consistant results mate, Well done Adam on a well run league and thanks to Adam and wsf for making it possible. Only made it to one match myself but always look forward to seeing the reports and results up here. Will no doubt catch up with you on a few of the summer league matches.

roy.s
Super Poster

Postby roy.s » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:47 pm

Nip and tuck right to the end, congratulations to Lee, ever consistent, :clap: and also to Adam and Dale, with excellent performances throughout the league... :clap:
Not forgetting Graeme on the great match win too :thumbsup:
Great league again Adam, well run and very informative match reports. :clap:
2018 species.......Codling, Whiting, 5 B Rockling, Dab, Plaice, Flounder, Pouting, Thornback ray, Starry smoothound, Common smoothound, Bass, Tub Gurnard, Lesser Weever, Tope pup,
2017 species.......17

Ozzie
I never smile !

Postby Ozzie » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:59 pm

Nice report and well done to all who participated. Nice trophies and a nice gesture from Richie donating a new trophy

daley12
Obsessed Poster

Postby daley12 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:37 pm

well done adam with the organising of both leagues and you and lee on your performances .my first year of fishing them and i really enjoyed it and looked forward to them.thanks also to the lads for being welcoming bit daunting turning up on my tod at the first match but well worth it.look forward to the first summer match .

Maerig the hunter
Obsessed Poster

Postby Maerig the hunter » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:02 pm

Well done to Lee and the other top Boys, Many thanks to Adam for all his work and organisation, keep it up, sorry I couldn't come to the last match and the meal.
Well done to Graeme on the match win on what looked like another hard match.
See you all for the summer league, Best wishes.
2018 species: At last :badgrin: Doggy and ray. :dance:

Dyl
Obsessed Poster

Postby Dyl » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:04 pm

Excellently run league Adam cheers :clap: Well done Lee, Adam and Dale see Yall at the summer leage bring on the Rock (channel)!!!!
2017 Bass 2.7lbs / S Hound 11.8lbs
2018 Huss 9.15lbs :doh:

stephen atkinson
Obsessed Poster

Postby stephen atkinson » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:15 pm

Well done on the overall win lee :clap: and thanks to Adam on a well run competition :clap: Nice win for graham on the day. :thumbsup:
Species 2018: coding. Whiting. Dab, flounder,Thornback ray, pouting, plaice, 3br

golfer
Regular Poster

Postby golfer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:54 pm

great effort from graham for the win
well done lee to edge adam & dale out of it.
thought the whole series was organised brilliantly (thanks adam).
cant wait for the summer.
tight lines all.
gary
gary

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:06 pm

A tight finish to another well run league...congrats to Lee on the win and all of those who turned out to support Adam`s efforts. Nice touch from Richie donating the specimen trophy,and well done to Andy for his year long exploits. Hope to join you in the summer league depending on proms matches ha.
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:26 pm

Well done Graeme for the win on the day.

And a huge well done to the ever consistent Dale, Mr Winter League himself, Adam, and also to the new and well deserved champ, Lee. Top fishing guys :clap:
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

Return to “WSF Winter League 2016”