Round 7 Result and Report

A series of matches run in a league format for "active site members" only, offering laid back introduction to match fishing.
Prescot Angling is kindly sponsoring this years league.

Moderator: spudgun

Adam Roper
Obsessed Poster

Round 7 Result and Report

Postby Adam Roper » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:30 pm

1st - Gary Swift................63cm - 11 Points
2nd - Graeme Stuart..........42cm - 10 Points
3rd - Richie Fisher.............40cm - 9 Points
4th - Dale Edwards............35cm - 8 Points
5th - Maerig Darley............34cm - 7 Points
6th - Lee Hobbs................33cm - 6 Points
6th - Dave Radcliffe...........33cm - 6 Points
8th - Andy Wilmore............32cm - 4 Points
8th - Roy Schofield.............32cm - 4 Points
10th - Adam Roper.............30cm - 2 Points
11th - Stu Davies................29cm - 1 Point
12th - Dylan Kensall............28cm - 1 Point
12th - Alex Colston.............28cm - 1 Point
12th - Jeff White...............28cm - 1 Point
15th - Steve Duffy...............0cm - 1 Point
15th - Dave Roberts.............0cm - 1 Point
15th - Jordan Roberts...........0cm - 1 Point

Longest Fish Pool.............Graeme Stuart - Codling 42cm

So the penultimate round of this years WSF Winter League saw us back at Otterspool for the second and final time, this time at the Jericho lane stretch. I got there a good 90 minutes before booking on to peg the stretch out only to find another match in the middle of the stretch not leaving enough room either side of them for us to fish anywhere from the pumphouse down to the jetty without having to peg two different zones so I opted to peg from the pumphouse back up river.

17 anglers in total booked on so we did the draw and made our way down onto the prom to get set up. Here is how we lined up for this one...................

Pole position in Peg 1 was Dale Edwards.............................

Next up was Gary Swift in Peg 2........................

Lee Hobbs was next up in Peg 3.........................

Peg 4 was Maerig Darley.........................

Jeff White was in Peg 5...............

There was then a gap with no-one in Pegs 6,7 and 8, due to the red buoy in front of them so next man up in Peg 9 was Graeme Stuart..........

Jordan Roberts was in Peg 10...........................

Roy Schofield was next up in Peg 11....................

Steve Duffy was in Peg 12......................

Dylan Kensall was in Peg 13...........................

Dave Radcliffe was the first of the happy campers setting up base in Peg 14..........................

Peg 15 was Richie Fisher.........................

Peg 16 was Stu Davies...........................

I was in Peg 17 and to my right in Peg 18 I had Andy Wilmore.....................

Dave Roberts had also set up a base camp complete with gas heater in Peg 19..........................

Final man in the line up in Peg 20 was Alex Colston.......................

All in was called and we got underway and it was a somewhat expected and predictable slow start given the lack of fish coming over the railings from the pleasure anglers already set up and fishing.

It was hard going for most with very few fish being caught and a few of the lads suffering with snags early on as the tide ripped in at pace despite the smallish tide height. As the run started to slacken off and we got a bit more depth of water in front of us the bites began to appear for more people and they were all from Whiting. A few people had got a round fish on the board in the 28-35cm size bracket before Richie Fisher took an absolutely cracking fish of 40cm and weighing in at 1lb 3oz to set the mark to beat.............................

Fish were still proving hard to come by and no one had even seen a Codling, that was until Graeme Stuart upped the anti and took the only Codling seen in the entire match. At 42cm however it put Graeme out in front and would also be enough to see him take the longest fish pool on the day.....................

Despite Richie and Graeme's efforts however it was not to be there day as going about his business quietly in Peg 2 was Gary Swift. Gary had taken a Whiting of 33cm to put himself in the chasing pack however he then managed to do what no other angler has managed to do in two consecutive visits to this venue and that was find a flat fish to go with it in the form of a 30cm Flounder. This was more than enough to give Gary a very well deserved and hard earned win.

In terms of the overall standings going into the final round Lee Hobbs has now wiped out my 4 point advantage and has gone level on points with me with Dale Edwards consolidating third place and still well in with a chance of taking the overall title too.

All roads now lead to Town Hall Steps for the final Round this coming Sunday.
2017 Species

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Re: Round 7 Result and Report

Postby Big Kev » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:39 pm

It certainly looked like it was going to be a tough day down there...great report Adam and well done to Gary on finding a match winning flat....last round will be very interesting.
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound

roy.s
Super Poster

Postby roy.s » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:59 pm

Well done Gary on your win, unbeatable combo !!
Also :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: to Graeme and Richie for that codling and a stonking whiting !
Final shoot out at the Town Hall going to be fascinating...and pegged as well !! :)
2018 species.......Codling, Whiting, 5 B Rockling, Dab, Plaice, Flounder, Pouting, Thornback ray, Starry smoothound, Common smoothound, Bass, Tub Gurnard, Lesser Weever, Tope pup,
2017 species.......17

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:28 pm

Great report as ever :thumbsup: Another tough day at the office with just 1 bite in the last hour. :evil:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Postby Richie Fisher » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:03 pm

Great report Adam. I know this venue can produce great fish but in all the times I've been there I've still yet to witness anything over 3lbs. Maybe all the fish have died of lead poisoning after all the snagging over the years! :lol: :lol: :lol:
2018 Species
Dab Codling Whiting Poor Cod Flounder Bronze Whaler Shark Spotted Gully Shark Smoothhound Lesser Sand Shark Kabeljou Steenbraas Galjoen Elephant Fish Barbell Plaice Pollock Thornie Ballan Wrasse

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:49 pm

Where have all the coddos gone!

Well done on the win Gary, top fishing!

Well done to Richie for finding a stonker 'ting!

Good luck to both Adam and Lee going into the final match, let the best man win :thumbsup:
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

Ozzie
I never smile !

Postby Ozzie » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:56 pm

Well done to all who fished. It looked cold and the lack of quality fish didn't help

AndyJ
WSF STUNT MAN

Postby AndyJ » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:06 pm

Great report, as always Adam, another tough match, and well done to the winners.
Myself, Gaz and Terry fished Jag House, nothing for me, but Gaz and Terry had Whiting and Dabs, must have had half a dozen each. Plenty of people out too.

Lee1
Super Poster

Postby Lee1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:34 pm

Well in Gary top fishing mate , top report Adam

Return to “WSF Winter League 2016”