Round 6 Result and Report

A series of matches run in a league format for "active site members" only, offering laid back introduction to match fishing.
Prescot Angling is kindly sponsoring this years league.

Moderator: spudgun

Adam Roper
Obsessed Poster

Round 6 Result and Report

Postby Adam Roper » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:14 pm

1st - Lee Hobbs.................49cm - 11 Points
2nd - Adam Roper..............48cm - 10 Points
3rd - Dale Edwards.............43cm - 9 Points
4th - Dave Radcliffe............40cm - 8 Points
5th - Ste Atkinson...............35cm - 7 Points
6th - Alex Colston...............33cm - 6 Points
7th - Dave Roberts..............32cm - 5 Points
7th - Richie Fisher..............32cm - 5 Points
7th - Gary Swift.................32cm - 5 Points
10th - Andy Wilmore............30cm - 2 Points
11th - Graeme Stuart...........29cm - 1 Point
11th - Roy Schofield............29cm - 1 Point
11th - Dylan Kensall............29cm - 1 Point
14th - Jordan Roberts..........28cm - 1 Point
15th - Steve Duffy...............0cm - 1 Point
15th - Maerig Darley............0cm - 1 Point
15th - Jeff White................0cm - 1 Point

Longest Fish Pool - Lee Hobbs.........Codling 49cm

So Round 6 and the first match of 2017 saw us at Otterspool for the first of two trips there in this years WSF Winter League. For this match we were fishing the Mersey Road stretch.

I got there early and walked down to peg the stretch. I opted for the stretch immediately to the left of the path that leads from the Mersey Road car park to the prom itself. The tide was yet to flood so the lay of the lad was in full view and it looked about as fair a match length as you could ask for with pretty much exclusively clean mud for the first 40 yards leading onto some very light broken ground and mussel beds.

I put 20 pegs out and made my way back to the car park to wait for the lads to arrive. By the time it was time to walk off there were 17 lads booked on so I removed pegs 3, 2 and 1 which were furthest up river and we made the draw. Here is how we lined up for this one......................

Furthest up river on peg 4 was............me! Then to my right in peg 5 was Roy Schofield....................

Dylan Kensall was in peg 6..........................

The big man and bait supplier for this one, Dave Roberts was in peg 7.....................

Steve Duffy was in peg 8............................

Peg 9 was Maerig Darley, back on the scene after his double hernia operation....................

Jordan Roberts was in peg 10............................

Andy Wilmore was in peg 11............................

Peg 12 was Gary Swift.......................

Peg 13 unlucky for some, but how would Graeme Stuart fair....................

Peg 14 was Alex Colston....................

Peg 15, once he had found the car park, was Dale Edwards..........................

Peg 16 was Richie Fisher, giving his urf rigs another go.....................

Peg 17 was Ste Atkinson..............................

Peg 18 was my main challenger for the overall league, Lee Hobbs...........................

Peg 19 was Jeff White.......................

And final man in line in peg 20 was Dave Radcliffe............................

So 16:00 came around and all in was called with still around 15-25 yards of mud in front of us depending on where you were along the stretch as the tide was still to flood as far as the wall. Baits were sent skyward with a mixture of lads scratching with small hooks and baits and others going all out for an early Codling with big baits on loop and pulley rigs.

Word came up the line that Dale Edwards had struck on his first cast and had taken a Codling of 41cm, which he then followed up within two minutes with a second one of 43cm. Two fish in the first two casts for Dale and he was setting the pace. As I was about to walk down and get a picture I was stopped in my tracks with my rod nodding away to the sign of what could only be a Codling. There was a brief moment of frustration when I dragged the fish onto the mud and it nose dived into it and plugged. Despite every bone in my body wanting to pull it as hard as I could I just walked up stream and gently moved the fish and luckily it came out! It was a nice fish of 48cm and put me out in front after half an hour...............

Lee Hobbs was also into the Codling early on too taking a fish of 42cm to keep himself right on my heels. Dave Radcliffe had also taken a Codling of 40cm to put himself in the mix. Apart from these fish however there was a distinct lack of action along the rest of the stretch. The Whiting were noticeable in their absence early on in the tide and despite the very flat-fishy looking mud to fish onto, there was a complete lack of flat fish all together with no-one managing to get a flat fish on their card making it the first time this year that no angler in the match has got two fish on their card.

So it was going to come down to the round fish and that meant it would be fine margins that would decide this one and yet again the man that produced the goods was Lee Hobbs, taking this really nice clean fish of 49cm which would be enough to give him both the longest fish pool but more importantly the win on the day....................

So with two Rounds now left to fish Lee has taken a point back off me and narrowed my lead to four points which means its still all to fish for in Rounds 7 and 8 with others still very much in contention for the title too and also the top 3 and top 10 in the overall standings.
2017 Species

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: Round 6 Result and Report

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:28 pm

Great report and pics Adam. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: A hard match for me with just 1 out of size whiting. :evil:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:52 pm

Great report as per Adam....good win Lee laaaaaaaaaaaaaa....oh for a flatty ha.
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod

stephen atkinson
Obsessed Poster

Postby stephen atkinson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:08 pm

Good report Adam , and well done on the win lee.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Species 2018: coding. Whiting. Dab, flounder,Thornback ray, pouting, plaice, 3br

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:33 pm

It's going to go down to the wire!

Well done Lee, you seem to have the knack for finder the better fish.
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Postby Richie Fisher » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:42 pm

Hard match considering it looked like a flatty bonanza before the tide flooded. The Urfe rig performed for me once again with 5 whiting up to 32 centimetres but I just couldn't get that elusive flat. Congratulations to the winners and thanks Lee for the codling, we had a fish pie this evening and it was delicious!
2018 Species
Dab Codling Whiting Poor Cod Flounder Bronze Whaler Shark Spotted Gully Shark Smoothhound Lesser Sand Shark Kabeljou Steenbraas Galjoen Elephant Fish Barbell

roy.s
Super Poster

Postby roy.s » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:18 pm

Well done to all those who found the coddos !! :clap:.A tough match. Looks like its going to be another close finish to the league ... :dance: :)
2018 species.......Codling, Whiting, 5 B Rockling, Dab, Plaice, Flounder, Pouting, Thornback ray
2017 species.......17

Patriot
Super Poster

Postby Patriot » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:25 am

Great report Adam and well done to Lee on the win. A bit twitchy while you were getting it up the wall!

Interesting venue - first time i've fished it - but it looked a cert that it would produce a flattie. Very surprised it did'nt
Only here for the cod!

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:13 am

Another good interesting report Adam. :clap: :clap: , well done on the win Lee, it looks like an interesting finish.

graeme stuart
Regular Poster

Postby graeme stuart » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:00 am

great report Adam, well done on the win Lee. Where all the cod caught a good way out?

daley12
Obsessed Poster

Postby daley12 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:49 pm

good report adam well done lee .wheres them flatties ?

GRAY70
Obsessed Poster

Postby GRAY70 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:12 pm

Well done all

al/c
Regular Poster

Postby al/c » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:27 pm

was interesting that no flatties were caught as it looked good for them,may be even harder next round :think:

Lee1
Super Poster

Postby Lee1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:57 pm

Thanks lads :thumbsup: top report Adam,I believe that 2 dabs were caught at the Jericho lane end so could be interesting next match :thumbsup:

Return to “WSF Winter League 2016”