Round 5 Preview - Kinglake Road - Sunday 18th December

A series of matches run in a league format for "active site members" only, offering laid back introduction to match fishing.
Prescot Angling is kindly sponsoring this years league.

Moderator: spudgun

Adam Roper
Obsessed Poster

Round 5 Preview - Kinglake Road - Sunday 18th December

Postby Adam Roper » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:49 pm

Round 5 sees the last match of 2016 as we stay on the Wirral side of the river at Kinglake Road for the second high water match in in this years WSF Winter League.

This stretch of the prom offers more shelter from the flooding tide due to the presence of the groynes at Vale Park however there is still some run present which means Codling are still a realistic target on such a big tide. Whiting should also be present in good numbers as should Dabs along this sandy stretch of beach. There is however always hotspots and it is worth arriving a little early to have a look at the beach before the tide floods up to the wall.

High water is at 13:25 with all in at 10:30 fishing until 14:30.

Booking on will now be at the bottom of MADDOCKS ROAD from 09:30 until 10:00. Parking is on Maddocks Road itself.

NOTE - PLEASE READ

After yesterdays match I have had a few people contact me and raise concerns around space between anglers and also tangles occurring between people. To this end I would like everyone to take the following points in the spirit that they are intended, which is for everyone to be able to come and fish these matches and enjoy them and for everyone to have a fair and equal chance of competing.

The numbers this year have been fantastic so far however the greater numbers have meant we have ended up a little squashed in places on certain venues. To this end I am asking everyone to please respect the following on Sunday;

Can all anglers please ensure that they leave at least 10 meters between themselves and the next angler

Can all anglers please consider the end tackle they are using and fish adequately for the conditions EG - If the tide is in full flood and you wish to cast at long distances you ensure you use a suitable lead for the situation such as a grip lead

We have not pegged these matches in recent years and I am not yet at the stage where I want to do that as I believe taking the roving element of the matches away would be detrimental in its own right, however we all have to take responsibility to observe the above points on Sunday please.

I will review how we get on Sunday and make a further decision on how we go forward from there :thumbsup:
2017 Species

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Re: Round 5 Preview - Kingslake Road - Sunday 18th December

Postby Big Kev » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:02 pm

It`s swings n roundabouts as far as pegged matches go....on the plus side it takes away the "local knowledge" factor,making it fairer,and there`s a certain excitement at the draw,but lads like to fish with their mates and no-one wants to draw a duff peg,so rovers are better.....
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound

AndyJ
WSF STUNT MAN

Postby AndyJ » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:06 pm

Agreed, it was a bit tight where we were on Sunday, and we had some tangled lines etc.
At one point, |think it was Lee, maybe Stu, also?, Mick, Gaz and myself in a knit, and Richie had a few to my right.
Being a rover match though, some people "could" gallop to a spot, space themselves out at 15 Mtr, guaranteeing a safe spot, therefore pushing the non gallopers to the "duff" spots, any thoughts on this one folks??
And for those who haven't seen my "Lunar Lander" fishing trolley, see team photo for the trolley with the HUGE wheels, looks like a Gun Carriage,will do a review when I give it shot at Perch, or similar, to test on soft sand. Mike made the wheels and axles for it, and the tyres are inner tubes... Cool.
Worked fine yesterday, and is now available for hire for any W.W.1. Battle re-enactment groups :thumbsup:

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:06 pm

I think the way to go is keep it as a rover but try to keep the match length fair i.e at Otterspool i usually used the stretch by the Otterspool pub which seems to be much the same all along,rather than the stretch up to the old jetty which is a known hot spot. To be honest i was amazed how close people were fishing on Sunday,when there was more than enough room for 22 anglers to be well spaced out.
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:08 pm

Big Kev wrote:I think the way to go is keep it as a rover but try to keep the match length fair i.e at Otterspool i usually used the stretch by the Otterspool pub which seems to be much the same all along,rather than the stretch up to the old jetty which is a known hot spot. To be honest i was amazed how close people were fishing on Sunday,when there was more than enough room for 22 anglers to be well spaced out.

800yds divided by 22. :idea:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:12 pm

36yds

AndyJ
WSF STUNT MAN

Postby AndyJ » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:09 pm

Like Kev said earlier in the thread, Pegged matches are indeed fairer, the very first PM's match me and Spike fished, he ended up right down the far end at Otterspool, while I was at the car park and, and luckily, was next to Mr Trish, who gave me a ton of advice about fishing the mark.
Myself and Spike would have preferred to fish alongside each other, but the pegs sorted that, and this way, everyone fishes with new people, and leans more.. And, of course less qualified anglers would learn from the like of the better on the match each time...
Just a thought

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:36 pm

Good points Andy laaaaaaaaaaaaaa....i like the draw and you are guaranteed to have everyone well spaced out.

Adam Roper
Obsessed Poster

Postby Adam Roper » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:07 pm

Ok well the option is for us to try a pegged match with a draw this weekend then for Round 5 if that's what people would like to do?? I am conscious that no matter what we do it will not please everyone but at the moment what I am thinking is high water prom matches will now be pegged and low water beach matches will remain as rovers.
2017 Species

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:46 pm

Adam Roper wrote:Ok well the option is for us to try a pegged match with a draw this weekend then for Round 5 if that's what people would like to do?? I am conscious that no matter what we do it will not please everyone but at the moment what I am thinking is high water prom matches will now be pegged and low water beach matches will remain as rovers.

There is loads of space on this section of prom giving plenty of sandy areas and some rocky areas so moving around shouldn't be a problem as long as an anglers space is respected.On tighter venues a pegged match might be the answer but in reality if anglers used a bit of common sense then this could be avoided.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

AndyJ
WSF STUNT MAN

Postby AndyJ » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:08 pm

Interesting read again folks.
Just had a look on google earth, what's the parking like on Kinglake Road, looks tight, nearly as tight as we fished on Sunday :lol:

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:41 pm

AndyJ wrote:Interesting read again folks.
Just had a look on google earth, what's the parking like on Kingslake Road, looks tight, nearly as tight as we fished on Sunday :lol:

I have suggested we could park at the Eggy Ferry ( deserted at that time of the morning ) and walk a 100yds to meet at Kingslake Rd.Save upsetting the locals.Thats what I'll be doing.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

AndyJ
WSF STUNT MAN

Postby AndyJ » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:23 am

Top Man Steve

Adam Roper
Obsessed Poster

Postby Adam Roper » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:54 am

Steve Duffy wrote:
Just had a look on google earth, what's the parking like on Kingslake Road, looks tight, nearly as tight as we fished on Sunday :lol:

I have suggested we could park at the Eggy Ferry ( deserted at that time of the morning ) and walk a 100yds to meet at Kingslake Rd.Save upsetting the locals.Thats what I'll be doing.

Booking on and Parking will now be on Maddocks Road. Original post at the top updated. :thumbsup:
2017 Species

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:42 pm

Adam Roper wrote:
Steve Duffy wrote:

Booking on and Parking will now be on Maddocks Road. Original post at the top updated. :thumbsup:

I will still be parking at the Ferry.The locals are not happy.I parked today at Kingslake and a local came out taking pics of the car.They are building up a dossier to take to the council to try and get parking permits. :think:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

Return to “WSF Winter League 2016”