Round 2 Result and Report

A series of matches run in a league format for "active site members" only, offering laid back introduction to match fishing.
Prescot Angling is kindly sponsoring this years league.

Moderator: spudgun

Adam Roper
Obsessed Poster

Round 2 Result and Report

Postby Adam Roper » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:52 am

1st - Steven Atkinson.................81cm - 11 Points
2nd - Dale Edwards...................70cm - 10 Points
3rd - Richie Fisher.....................69cm - 9 Points
4th - Brian Roper......................67cm - 8 Points
5th - Andy Wilmore...................63cm - 7 Points
6th - Dave Radcliffe..................62cm - 6 Points
6th - Nigel Skilling....................62cm - 6 Points
6th - Lee Hobbs.......................62cm - 6 Points
9th - Adam Roper.....................61cm - 3 Points
9th - Dave Roberts....................61cm - 3 Points
9th - Andrew Hoyle...................61cm - 3 Points
12th - Roy Schofield..................60cm - 1 Point
13th - Graeme Stuart.................58cm - 1 Point
14th - Gary Swift......................56cm - 1 Point
15th - Gaz Williams...................48cm - 1 Point
16th - Dylan Kensall..................45cm - 1 Point
17th - Andy Jenkins...................41cm - 1 Point
17th - Dave McCreedy................41cm - 1 Point
19th - Jordan Roberts................37cm - 1 Point
20th - Alan Middleton.................36cm - 1 Point
20th - Jeff White.......................36cm - 1 Point
22nd - Steve Duffy.....................35cm - 1 Point
23rd - Mike Davis.......................34cm - 1 Point
24th - Stu Davies.......................33cm - 1 Point
25th - Maerig Darley...................32cm - 1 Point
26th - Kev Brindle......................31cm - 1 Point
26th - Mick McAloon....................31cm - 1 Point

Longest Fish Pool - Gary Swift/Steve Atkinson.......Thornback Ray 56cm.

An absolutely fantastic turn out for Round 2 of this years Winter League saw 27 anglers go to post with some more new faces joining the regulars at Vale Park. Such was the interest for this one I decided that my commitment to mug-shots could not extend to a marathon up and down the stretch getting 27 individual portraits so the much more time efficient team photo was chosen instead. Here's all the lads who featured in this one.............

As the bank uncovered we made our way down and out onto the beach and got lined up pretty much along the who stretch. All in was called and we were underway.

Hopes were high for a variety of species and everyone looked skyward towards their rod tips to see who would be the first to strike. We didn't have to wait long to start to see some decent fish come onto the beach.

Winter League debutant Steve Atkinson was into a good fish and a cracking Ray of 56cm was pulled up onto the beach. Maerig did the honours with the camera so when he sends me over the picture I will add it to the report.

There were also odd Codling being taken by a few, not great numbers but great for your scorecard if you could find one. In the magic first 90 minutes the people to do so were Brian Roper with a 42cm fish, Dylan Kensall and Dale Edwards both took fish of 45cm each and Gaz Williams managed a nice fish of 48cm to give himself the lead in this years Cod Trophy after Round 2. Here is Dale Edwards with his 45cm fish................

Things were very bitty and broken down the stretch with some people taking a few fish and others struggling to find fish and also to find the elusive flat and round combo to get two fish on the board.

Another newcomer, Gary Swift, then got himself firmly in the mix with another Ray of 56cm which would see him take his share of the longest fish pool.

The reason people may have been struggling then became apparent when he popped his head out of the water less than 20 yards from the shore and proceeded to give everyone a show for the next 20 minutes, lounging around on his back and swimming up and down eyeballing everyone along the beach....................................

Yet again it was the elusive flat fish that proved to be key in this one with only 13 out of 27 anglers managing to get both a flat and a round on their cards. With attendances as high as they are you really do have to get two fish on your card to figure in the points and tactics and approach will again be critical when we return here to Vale Park in two weeks for Round 3..........................
2017 Species

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: Round 2 Result and Report

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:21 am

Great report as ever. :thumbsup: The whiting are a plague and of monster size.I could not get through them when looking for a dab. :evil:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

davie495
Obsessed Poster

Postby davie495 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:34 am

great turn out everyone, helped by the balmy conditions - even the sea dog was enjoying the warm weather!! plenty of fish, which would have made for an interesting summer league match, but the format for the winter league made it frustratingly enjoyable!
Stu

2018 Species:[7] Cod, Ting, Dab, Huss, LSD, Flounder, Smoothound

2017:[24]
2016:[14]

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Postby Richie Fisher » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:50 am

Interesting match with so many anglers. Some with a single big bait and others with small scratching rigs, but the common denominator was the whiting would take anything! Let's hope they ease off a bit in 2 weeks time
2018 Species
Dab Codling Whiting Poor Cod Flounder Bronze Whaler Shark Spotted Gully Shark Smoothhound Lesser Sand Shark Kabeljou Steenbraas Galjoen Elephant Fish Barbell Plaice Pollock Thornie Ballan Wrasse

Ranny715
Super Poster

Postby Ranny715 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:25 am

Great report. Hope to join up for the next years Winter league when my wife retires.
Fished here in the week. Two codling around the 2lb 4oz mark with numerous whiting including one of just under 2lb.
Never seen a ray come out of this venue. Incredible for a seal to be this far up as well. Testament to the cleanliness of the Mersey.

roy.s
Super Poster

Postby roy.s » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:02 pm

Great report Adam, and well done to all the winners. :clap:
That seal followed Dales hooked codling all the way into the beach.....I thought he was going get out and shake Dales hand !!! :lol:
2018 species.......Codling, Whiting, 5 B Rockling, Dab, Plaice, Flounder, Pouting, Thornback ray, Starry smoothound, Common smoothound, Bass, Tub Gurnard,
2017 species.......17

stephen atkinson
Obsessed Poster

Postby stephen atkinson » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:58 pm

Great report Adam :thumbsup: . And a great turn out aswell fellas.. :clap: .Took me 3 hours with a scratching rig to find that insize dab, perseverance paid off in the end. :dance:. See yas all in 2 weeks fellas...
Species 2018: coding. Whiting. Dab, flounder,Thornback ray, pouting, plaice, 3br

graeme stuart
Regular Poster

Postby graeme stuart » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:10 pm

Another great report Adam! Well done steve on the win :clap: , and another good turnout. Roll on rd3
p.s. That bloody seal followed me from yorkshire :doh:

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:42 pm

Good win Ste laaaaaaaaaaaaa,and another good ray from Gaz....i had a day to forget,but the format keeps the interest going right to the bell....top report Adam laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:58 pm

On the plus side,i like to have a look at other anglers rigs,and Richie was trying out an Urfe rig at Perch Rock and did well with it,so i bought a few clips and made a couple up myself.....10ft flowing trace with 3 hooks spread along,which is supposed to be more effective when the fishing is hard. I knew dabs would be hard to find at Perch so i thought they might do the trick...the whiting liked it as did one 21cm dab,but i was impressed with how it worked,and not a tangle in sight....nice one Richie laaaaaaaaaaaaa.
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice

Adam Roper
Obsessed Poster

Postby Adam Roper » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:20 pm

Big Kev wrote:On the plus side,i like to have a look at other anglers rigs,and Richie was trying out an Urfe rig at Perch Rock and did well with it,so i bought a few clips and made a couple up myself.....10ft flowing trace with 3 hooks spread along,which is supposed to be more effective when the fishing is hard. I knew dabs would be hard to find at Perch so i thought they might do the trick...the whiting liked it as did one 21cm dab,but i was impressed with how it worked,and not a tangle in sight....nice one Richie laaaaaaaaaaaaa.

What on Urfe are you on about :lol:
2017 Species

AndyJ
WSF STUNT MAN

Postby AndyJ » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:44 pm

Hi Folks, as you may know or not, our Gaz is allergic to fish, and can't handle them.
So I held the fish for a photo for the record.
Below is Gaz Williams' 48cm Fish from Yesterday:Image

[list=][/list]

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:55 pm

Wow what a turn out! Testament to all the effort that Adam puts in to arranging and running the leagues...though you need to clean the cr4p off your camera lens Ads, it's like its got a dose of chicken pox! :lol:

Sounds like an extremely busy match with plenty of action on the rod tips!

Well done Stephen for taking the win and also to Gary for sharing the spoils of the longest fish pool :clap:
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

MickMac2

Postby MickMac2 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:58 pm

Just a line to say I am really looking forward to round 3. Dont care that I have missed the 1st round and under no illusions about having an impact but had a great time. Found everyone very helpful expecially after shedding rigs in the nitting match on the way down. Could not beleive that I got them back including one with 10 meters of tapered shock leader!!! I may not be new to angling but I am very new to sea fishing and I am definately hooked after Sunday. Big thank you to Adam and his dad and also on the guys who could do nothing but give me advice. Everyone had fish, mild weather, good crack and a seal. Roll on round 3 posting.php?mode=reply&f=152&t=30386#:)

golfer
Regular Poster

Postby golfer » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:59 am

this was my first match for over 20 years, at a venue I have never fished with people I have never met previously and I must agree with previous posters a fantastically well run event fished with a great attitude by all.
beginners luck got me into the money so I was over the moon with that.
really looking forward to the next match.

gary
gary

Return to “WSF Winter League 2016”