Round 1 Result and Report

A series of matches run in a league format for "active site members" only, offering laid back introduction to match fishing.
Prescot Angling is kindly sponsoring this years league.

Moderator: spudgun

Adam Roper
Obsessed Poster

Round 1 Result and Report

Postby Adam Roper » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:01 pm

1st - Dave Roberts............81cm - 11 Points
2nd - Roy Schofield...........77cm - 10 Points
3rd - Kev Brindle..............76cm - 9 Points
4th - Graeme Stuart..........73cm - 8 Points
5th - Adam Roper.............72cm - 7 Points
6th - Lee Hobbs...............70cm - 6 Points
7th - Dave Radcliffe..........69cm - 5 Points
8th - Brian Roper..............68cm - 4 Points
8th - Jordan Roberts..........68cm - 4 Points
10th - Stu Davies..............67cm - 2 Points
11th -Richie Fisher............66cm - 1 Point
11th - Andrew Hoyle..........66cm - 1 Point
11th - Steve Duffy.............66cm - 1 Point
14th - Dave McCreedy.........65cm - 1 Point
15th - John Rodgers...........62cm - 1 Point
16th - Dale Edwards...........58cm - 1 Point
17th - Dylan Kensall...........40cm - 1 Point
17th - Gaz Williams............40cm - 1 Point
17th - Andy Jenkins............40cm - 1 Point
17th - Steven Atkinson........40cm - 1 Point
17th - Jeff White...............40cm - 1 Point
22nd - Maerig Darley...........31cm - 1 Point
23rd - Nigel Skilling............27cm - 1 Point

Longest Fish Pool - Dave Roberts........51cm Thornback Ray.

So this years Winter League got underway at a calm and mild Perch Rock with 23 anglers turning up to get their campaigns for this years title underway. The venue has been fishing well of late and hopefully today would be no exception with Whiting, Dogs, Rays, Dabs, Flounder and Plaice potentially on offer.

As ever the one flat one round format would keep everyone on their toes to ensure that the result was never certain until the last cast. Here is how we lined up from right to left along the stretch for the opener.......................

Furthest right was actually Nigel Skilling but he turned up a bit late and I couldn't get a pre match picture. Next to him was Dale Edwards..................

Welshman Dylan Kensall was next man in line.....................

Followed by Stu Davies full of beans......................

Gaz Williams was next up and he was even smiling.....................

Andy Jenkins was next and he MAY have been a bit over optimistic with his hook choice...................

Then the first of this years newcomers in the form of John Rodgers.....................

Jordan Roberts was next...............

Then the second of our newcomers in the form of Stephen Atkinson....................

Richie Fisher was next up and all smiles as usual......................

Followed by Kev Brindle who was back on the saltwater scene...................

Then came the Dave's, first Radcliffe........................

Then Roberts...........................

Followed by the Ropers, first me and then Brian................................

Dave McCreedy was next man up.........................

Followed by Lee Hobbs............................

And another newcomer in the form of Andrew Hoyle.......................

And yet another in Jeff White..........................

Roy Schofield was the next man up..........................

Followed by Maerig Darley....................................

Then Graeme Stuart who forgot his tip and had to walk all the way back to the car park........................

And last man up in the line up was Steve Duffy...............................

So we were off and underway and it was apparent pretty quickly that the fish were here in numbers. Plenty of lads got a round on the board first cast in the form of the Dogfish and Whiting that abounded onto the back as rigs were retrieved. Most people were catching regularly with double and treble shots of fish each time it was just a case of trying to find the better ones, including the increasingly elusive Dabs!

It was going to need a round fish better than the standard 40cm Doggies if you wanted to be in the mix overall and I was first to strike with a Ray of 44cm......................

There were only a couple of people finding Dabs for their flat fish however and one of them was Dave Roberts taking this decent 30cm fish............

As we approached low water the Dabs came onto the feed a bit better and more people now started to get two fish on their cards and it became apparent that you were going to need to find a Ray to be in contention.

Next man to do so was Dave Roberts who went for a walk to come back to find his rig heading for the Irish Sea. This 51cm Ray was the culprit..................

Darkness now descended and Kev Brindle was the next man to get in on the Ray action, first taking a small 32cm fish but then putting himself right in contention with this 47cm effort.........................

As darkness fell the word came down the line that further up the stretch to the left both Graeme Stuart and Roy Schofield had also taken Rays of 46cm and 48cm respectively to go with their flat fish to make it a tight finish right to the end. Sadly with the distance between us and the darkness I didn't manage to get pictures of these fish.

In the end it was to be Dave Roberts with his Ray and Dab combo that would take what was a fish filled and frantic opener to this years league. All roads now lead to Vale Park in Round 2.........................
2017 Species

iank
Obsessed Poster

Re: Round 1 Result and Report

Postby iank » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:29 pm

Interesting report and great read Adam :clap: :clap:

davie495
Obsessed Poster

Postby davie495 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:44 pm

Bloody Raymonds!! argh.... I may have been full of beans, but I certainly fished the whole match with soggy feet. my heart sank when I seen the channel full when we marched out... but when you are faced with a wait and a poor peg or a soggy foot and a decent peg there is no comparison. maybe I am the new Greg Barrat (not)
Stu

2018 Species:[13] Cod, Ting, Dab, Huss, Plaice, LSD, Flounder, Smoothound, Garfish, Pollock, Mackerel, Pout, Eel

2017:[24]
2016:[14]

GAZZ3R
Obsessed Poster

Postby GAZZ3R » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:50 pm

Good report once again Adam, we'll done to everyone, I shall be at the next match.
The Wrassewrangler

graeme stuart
Regular Poster

Postby graeme stuart » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:57 pm

Excellent report Adam. Well done on the win dave, going for walk can work wonders! :thumbsup: Nice to see new faces besides the old ugly ones. :badgrin: roll on vale park. :thumbsup:

manchesterangler
Regular Poster

Postby manchesterangler » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:34 pm

Thanks Adam for the report, running the series and supplying quality bait :).

I enjoy the format, shame some of the quality Whiting (up to 36cm) didn't really come into play on the score sheet with all of the Dogfish being caught.

What ever criticism of the format people may have. You cannot beat a competition where somebody like me lying in 11th place was still in with a chance of being in the top three right up to the last minute.

The cherry on the cake for me was the priceless angling tips and experience gained from fishing Perch Rock for the first time. :thumbsup:

Another new mark for me, Vale Park beach in round two. Looking forward to giving it another go.

roy.s
Super Poster

Postby roy.s » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:08 pm

Great report as usual Adam :clap:
The river is on top form still...long may it continue ! :thumbsup:
2018 species.......Codling, Whiting, 5 B Rockling, Dab, Plaice, Flounder, Pouting, Thornback ray, Starry smoothound, Common smoothound, Bass, Tub Gurnard, Lesser Weever, Tope pup, Dogfish, Silver eel
2017 species.......17

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:13 pm

Top report Adam and well done to Dave on the win....good to meet up with the lads and knock a few fish out too.
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound ...turbot...small eyed ray

AndyJ
WSF STUNT MAN

Postby AndyJ » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:47 pm

Top Report as always Adam, and well done to the winners.
I couldn't buy a bite, and was blanking until the last hour, then my only Dogfish.
Terry, who was fishing as a guest enjoyed himself, catching plenty of Dogs and whiting, and snared a Dab.
Good to see old and new faces, see you all next time :thumbsup:

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:14 pm

Great report and an interesting opening match. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Postby Richie Fisher » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:20 pm

Great report and equally great turnout for this one. Well done to all who found the elusive thornies. See you at the next one.
2018 Species
Dab Codling Whiting Poor Cod Flounder Bronze Whaler Shark Spotted Gully Shark Smoothhound Lesser Sand Shark Kabeljou Steenbraas Galjoen Elephant Fish Barbell Plaice Pollock Thornie Ballan Eel Bass G Weever Palometa Bream Butterfly Ray

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:04 pm

Fantastic turnout!

The river is fishing extremely well at the moment which makes for some really good matches.

Familiar names at the top of the leaderboard so well done guys but with the winter league format it could be all change by the next match.
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

Trishy
Obsessed Poster

Postby Trishy » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:13 pm

Good turnout and top report Adam. Well done everyone. It fished better your side , my recent run of bad form continued and i had a stinker, hopefully it will turn around soon

Bucko

Postby Bucko » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:35 pm

Great report Adam and thanks for the bait supply, also well done to the lads who finished top of table.

As a total newbie to the sea fishing scene I picked up a fair bit of information on my first outing from the lads around me so just wanted to say thanks, particularly to Jordan who helped me out immensely yesterday.
Thanks lads and hopefully see you all on the next one :thumbsup:

Piotrek
Super Poster

Postby Piotrek » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:26 pm

Good job Adam and well done for ewry one on the first match :clap: :clap: :clap:

Return to “WSF Winter League 2016”