Specimen Trophy Rules

Free to enter,fun competition to see who can catch a wide variety of species...open for all WSF members to join in.

Moderator: spudgun

Brian900
Obsessed Poster

Re: Specimen Trophy Rules

Postby Brian900 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:50 pm

spudgun wrote:
Brian900 wrote:How long before I have to get them in?
Need a bit of time to think :think:

What you waiting for your next fishing session? :lol:

I reckon have your prediction in by 15th Jan (this year :lol: ) then whoever joins after just looses out on that part of the comp but can still join in.

I agree with you mate :clap:

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:17 pm

Brian900 wrote:
spudgun wrote:
Brian900 wrote:How long before I have to get them in?
Need a bit of time to think :think:

What you waiting for your next fishing session? :lol:

I reckon have your prediction in by 15th Jan (this year :lol: ) then whoever joins after just looses out on that part of the comp but can still join in.

I agree with you mate :clap:

I don`t.....anyone joining late or getting their predictions in late is only handicapping themselves....as long as they are in before they fish then i would`nt see a prob....it`s not gunna be fair to deny any latecomers the chance of earning lots of bonus points :think:
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound ...turbot...small eyed ray

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Postby Richie Fisher » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:43 pm

I reckon have your prediction in by 15th Jan (this year :lol: ) then whoever joins after just looses out on that part of the comp but can still join in.[/quote]
I agree with you mate :clap:[/quote]
I don`t.....anyone joining late or getting their predictions in late is only handicapping themselves....as long as they are in before they fish then i would`nt see a prob....it`s not gunna be fair to deny any latecomers the chance of earning lots of bonus points :think:[/quote]

I agree with Kev, we want to encourage as many teams to enter as possible. I reckon it would be fair to say that predictions can be entered by latecomers but they only become active 48hrs after reciept by Spudgun to avoid any discrepancies between capture and prediction dates.
2018 Species
Dab Codling Whiting Poor Cod Flounder Bronze Whaler Shark Spotted Gully Shark Smoothhound Lesser Sand Shark Kabeljou Steenbraas Galjoen Elephant Fish Barbell Plaice Pollock Thornie Ballan Wrasse Eel Bass

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Wed May 30, 2012 8:19 am

A question on fish of equal weight rules please.

I was suprised to see a short while ago that my flounder of equal weight to the one above got less/no points despite being the same size. I wasn't going to question this until i'd caught a bigger one but a scenario from yesterdays session with Richie turns this around a bit so i think its time to ask now.

We both caught wrasse of the same weight, same venue, same session but i caught mine about half an hour before him. Does that mean i get more points? Which, if so seems a bit daft and unfair as there are seperate points for the first caught.

I think this needs to be looked at as i'm sure other similair situations could well arise and would like to suggest that all fish of equal weight, irregardless of when caught are allowed the same points.

Thanks
Ian

spudgun
Reel Master

Postby spudgun » Wed May 30, 2012 12:11 pm

iank wrote:A question on fish of equal weight rules please.

I was suprised to see a short while ago that my flounder of equal weight to the one above got less/no points despite being the same size. I wasn't going to question this until i'd caught a bigger one but a scenario from yesterdays session with Richie turns this around a bit so i think its time to ask now.

We both caught wrasse of the same weight, same venue, same session but i caught mine about half an hour before him. Does that mean i get more points? Which, if so seems a bit daft and unfair as there are seperate points for the first caught.

I think this needs to be looked at as i'm sure other similair situations could well arise and would like to suggest that all fish of equal weight, irregardless of when caught are allowed the same points.

Thanks
Ian

If two fish are the same weight the 1st to be submitted will be given top spot regardless of what date it was caught.
Can't think how to change my spread sheet to work the equal ponits rule. :lol:
Even Mindless Violence Seems Boring Today.

Species caught this year:

Gadus morhua
Merlangius merlangus
Limanda limanda
Scyliorhinus canicula
Pthirus pubis
Chlamydia trachomatis

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Postby Richie Fisher » Thu May 31, 2012 9:39 am

spudgun wrote:

Thanks
Ian

If two fish are the same weight the 1st to be submitted will be given top spot regardless of what date it was caught.

Spud I can't help thinking that points for equal weight/species fish should be shared. I know I have personal interest in this with 2 fish on equal weight with other anglers, but I'm not replying with a feeling of 'sour grapes' as I think these weights will be beaten later in the year anyway. I just feel the whole thing would be fairer and easier that top 5 fish should share the same points when of equal weight.

I know you say this may complicate your spreadsheet but I've worked a lifetime in the fire service trying to make the work fit the spreadsheet instead of the other way round.

Scenario....

You're on holiday for 2 weeks and you catch a couple of great fish within the first day or 2 only to find someone has beaten you to it by catching the same on your last day but have submitted it before you got back... but you caught yours days before them :think: :doh:
2018 Species
Dab Codling Whiting Poor Cod Flounder Bronze Whaler Shark Spotted Gully Shark Smoothhound Lesser Sand Shark Kabeljou Steenbraas Galjoen Elephant Fish Barbell Plaice Pollock Thornie Ballan Wrasse Eel Bass

spudgun
Reel Master

Postby spudgun » Thu May 31, 2012 11:50 am

Richie Fisher wrote:
spudgun wrote:

Thanks
Ian

Spud I can't help thinking that points for equal weight/species fish should be shared. I know I have personal interest in this with 2 fish on equal weight with other anglers, but I'm not replying with a feeling of 'sour grapes' as I think these weights will be beaten later in the year anyway. I just feel the whole thing would be fairer and easier that top 5 fish should share the same points when of equal weight.

I know you say this may complicate your spreadsheet but I've worked a lifetime in the fire service trying to make the work fit the spreadsheet instead of the other way round.

Scenario....

You're on holiday for 2 weeks and you catch a couple of great fish within the first day or 2 only to find someone has beaten you to it by catching the same on your last day but have submitted it before you got back... but you caught yours days before them :think: :doh:

Only joking about the spreadsheet. Should be ok to change no probs but my thinking was to keep the risk of the smaller fish getting knocked out of the points i.e. dropped off position 5th. If we give 2 fish to 1st place and 3 fish to position 4th then that's 3 fish that otherwise would've been knocked out of the points so that team would have to get out and catch another specimen to get back on the table. I wish I'd set just positions 1st, 2nd and 3rd to keep that side of the competition live.

Maybe not fair if you just take into account the weight of the fish but why not reward those that get in there first before everyone else. Bit like the "1st caught table".

Like Kev said last year you just can't please everyone and prevent the dummy spitting. :lol:
Even Mindless Violence Seems Boring Today.

Species caught this year:

Gadus morhua
Merlangius merlangus
Limanda limanda
Scyliorhinus canicula
Pthirus pubis
Chlamydia trachomatis

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Thu May 31, 2012 2:21 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Postby Richie Fisher » Thu May 31, 2012 2:40 pm

Spudgun wrote

Only joking about the spreadsheet. Should be ok to change no probs but my thinking was to keep the risk of the smaller fish getting knocked out of the points i.e. dropped off position 5th. If we give 2 fish to 1st place and 3 fish to position 4th then that's 3 fish that otherwise would've been knocked out of the points so that team would have to get out and catch another specimen to get back on the table. I wish I'd set just positions 1st, 2nd and 3rd to keep that side of the competition live.

Maybe not fair if you just take into account the weight of the fish but why not reward those that get in there first before everyone else. Bit like the "1st caught table".

Like Kev said last year you just can't please everyone and prevent the dummy spitting. :lol:[/quote]

That's why you've already got a 1st caught section :!: :roll:
2018 Species

joeNeal_71
Obsessed Poster

Postby joeNeal_71 » Thu May 31, 2012 6:54 pm

So, please clarify Spudgun... does this mean you agree now that two fish of equal weight will share the same position?

1st 10lb ray Team A
1st 10lb ray Team B
3rd 9lb ray Team X
4th 8lb ray Team Y
5th 7lb ray Team Z

Richie Fisher
Obsessed Poster

Postby Richie Fisher » Thu May 31, 2012 7:01 pm

joeNeal_71 wrote:So, please clarify Spudgun... does this mean you agree now that two fish of equal weight will share the same position?

1st 10lb ray Team A
1st 10lb ray Team B
3rd 9lb ray Team X
4th 8lb ray Team Y
5th 7lb ray Team Z

That's my hope :) ;)
2018 Species

Brian900
Obsessed Poster

Postby Brian900 » Thu May 31, 2012 7:42 pm

Richie Fisher wrote:
joeNeal_71 wrote:So, please clarify Spudgun... does this mean you agree now that two fish of equal weight will share the same position?

1st 10lb ray Team A
1st 10lb ray Team B
3rd 9lb ray Team X
4th 8lb ray Team Y
5th 7lb ray Team Z

That's my hope :) ;)

Looks good to me as well :thumbsup:

Return to “Specimen Trophy 2012”