Specimen Trophy Rules

Free to enter,fun competition to see who can catch a wide variety of species...open for all WSF members to join in.

Moderator: spudgun

spudgun
Reel Master

Specimen Trophy Rules

Postby spudgun » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:45 pm

What it's about:

The "virtual" specimen trophy is a friendly team competition which is run throughout the year.

The idea is to compete against your mates on the forum to see who can catch the biggest fish of each species of the year and to catch each species of fish first. In addition this year there are extra points up for grabs for catching fish on lures.

You compete in teams of two but if you don't have a fishing buddy just put your name down in the TEAMS section and I can pair you up. No worries if you're new to things as it can be really helpful to pair up with someone with more experience than you.

How it works:
The game starts from January 1st and lasts until midnight 31st December. Points are awarded to the top 5 fish of each species in the list below. 10 points for the heaviest fish and 2 points for the lightest.

1st = 10 points
2nd = 8 points
3rd = 6 points
4th = 4 points
5th = 2 points

Only fish from the list below will be accepted and they must equal or exceed the qualifying weight.

Minimum Speciemen Qualifying Weights
Bass 2-8-0
Bream 1-0-0
Coalie 1-8-0
Cod 3-0-0
Common Smooth Hound 5-8-0
Conger 5-0-0
Dab 0-10-0
Flounder 1-0-0
Garfish 1-0-0
Gurnard 1-0-0 (any kind)
Huss 7-0-0
Mackerel 1-8-0
Mullet 2-8-0 (any kind)
Plaice 1-8-0
Pollack 1-8-0
Silver Eel 1-0-0
Small Eyed Ray 5-0-0
Sole 1-0-0 (any kind)
Spotted Ray 1-8-0
Starry Smooth Hound 5-8-0
Thorny 5-0-0
Three Bearded Rockling 1-0-0
Tope 15-0-0
Turbot 1-0-0
Whiting 1-0-0
Wrasse 2-0-0

Each team can only enter 1 fish in each catergory, but the list will be updated continually so if you catch a bigger fish than one you`ve already entered, then the list will be altered accordingly.

To see who knows when and where each species turn up first there are 10 bonus points for catching a species first. The qualifying weights for the first fish table will be lower than the specimen weights. However if the fish is over the specimen weight then it'll count for the specimen table too.

e.g. Catch the 1st smooth hound which weighs 5-8-0 and you'll get 10 points for catching the 1st one of the year and 10 points for getting the heaviest smooth hound of the year (so far).

However because the cod and whiting are already in, the 1st cod and whiting can't be submitted till June. Although you can still submit a cod or whiting for the specimen table at any time.

Minimum 1st Fish Qualifying Weights
Bass 1-0-0
Bream 0-8-0
Coalie 0-8-0
Cod 1-5-0
Common Smooth Hound 2-0-0
Conger 2-0-0
Dab 0-8-0
Flounder 0-10-0
Garfish 0-8-0
Gurnard 0-8-0(any kind)
Huss 4-0-0
Mackerel 0-8-0
Mullet 0-8-0 (any kind)
Plaice 0-8-0
Pollack 0-8-0
Silver Eel 0-8-0
Small Eyed Ray 2-0-0
Sole 0-8-0(any kind)
Spotted Ray 0-8-0
Starry Smooth Hound 2-0-0
Thorny 3-0-0
Three Bearded Rockling 0-8-0
Tope 5-0-0
Turbot 0-8-0
Whiting 0-12-0
Wrasse 1-0-0

Also 10 bonus points (per team mate) for catching each of the following over 1lb on a unbaited SINGLE lure of your choice. No Strings of feathers/hokkais:
Bass
Cod
Garfish
Gurnard
Pollock
Wrasse

All weights will be rounded down. Most digi scales weigh in lbs-oz-dr and in 8dr increments i.e 2-5-8. Some may show the "actual drams" i.e 2-5-7 which would be rounded down to 2-5-0.
2-5-10 would be rounded down to 2-5-8

Digital scales must be used from now on and they must be held correctly i.e from the handle/Tbar

Don`t think you need to have a pic of the fish on the scales...a clear pic of the fish is enough

No fish will be accepted if they have been caught from a mark where access has been gained by boat/yak. This is an unfair advantage and would not be in keeping with the spirit of the competition.

The "virtual" trophy is up for grabs to any team who I CONSIDER to be active users/members of WSF, either by submitting regular reports, or by use of the forum/supporting events e.t.c. You do not have to fish together, in fact you can win it without ever clapping eyes on your team mates :!:
The whole competition is based on trust so it`s up to your integrity if you want to add a few ounces here and there....you`ll only be cheating yourself :think:
Please try to make your fish pics as clear as poss :idea:

To submit a fish
Claims should be submitted to me via p.m within 1 week of capture with the following...
Name of captor
Team name
Venue
Date of capture
Bait used
Rig used
Height and state of tide
Photo of fish
Weight
...........................................................................................................
Only fish caught from Fylde coast,Merseyside,North Wales,Anglesey,Llyen Peninsula will count
............................................................................................................

Any questions just ask. :D

Even Mindless Violence Seems Boring Today.

Species caught this year:

Gadus morhua
Merlangius merlangus
Limanda limanda
Scyliorhinus canicula
Pthirus pubis
Chlamydia trachomatis

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Re: Specimen Trophy Rules

Postby Big Kev » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:44 am

Bonus 5 points for naming (at the start of the year) which month you'll get each species on the board first..........glad that bit`s been cleared up
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:54 pm

Codling and whiting are not allowed until June because they are "in now".....dabs are plentiful at the moment too,so do they still count :?:
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound

spudgun
Reel Master

Postby spudgun » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:02 pm

Big Kev wrote:dabs are plentiful at the moment too,so do they still count :?:

Yes. You get dabs all year round so it's just a race to get the 1st one.

Big Kev wrote:Codling and whiting are not allowed until June because they are "in now

Remember you can still enter a cod or whiting caught anytime of the year for the specimen table but not the 1st cod or whiting until after June.

Gadus morhua
Merlangius merlangus
Limanda limanda
Scyliorhinus canicula
Pthirus pubis
Chlamydia trachomatis

spudgun
Reel Master

Postby spudgun » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:38 pm

Big Kev wrote:Bonus 5 points for naming (at the start of the year) which month you'll get each species on the board first..........glad that bit`s been cleared up

This part of the competition is now back in.

Simply PM me which month you think you will catch the 1st fish of each species.
Click the PM button Image at the bottom of this post and replace the MONTHS in the list below:

Bass - MONTH
Bream - MONTH
Coalie - MONTH
Cod - MONTH
Common Smooth Hound - MONTH
Conger - MONTH
Dab - MONTH
Flounder - MONTH
Garfish - MONTH
Gurnard - MONTH
Huss - MONTH
Mackerel - MONTH
Mullet - MONTH
Plaice - MONTH
Pollack - MONTH
Silver Eel - MONTH
Small Eyed Ray - MONTH
Sole - MONTH
Spotted Ray - MONTH
Starry Smooth Hound - MONTH
Thorny - MONTH
Three Bearded Rockling - MONTH
Tope - MONTH
Turbot - MONTH
Whiting - MONTH
Wrasse - MONTH

You get 10 points for catching the 1st fish for each species and you'll get 5 bonus points for predicting which month YOUR TEAM will catch the 1st fish of that species.

If another team catches the 1st fish then you don't get any points.

For example:
If you say your team can get a conger in March then providing no-one else has caught one by then and your team is the first to catch one then you get 5 bonus points

If someone else catches one in Feb then your prediction of March means nothing. (Tar Kev :D )

Once all teams have submitted their predictions I'll post them up for everyone to see. :D
(Me and prawn will sort ours out before I read anyones PM. Honest :lol: )

Gadus morhua
Merlangius merlangus
Limanda limanda
Scyliorhinus canicula
Pthirus pubis
Chlamydia trachomatis

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:55 pm

I take it you must have submitted your monthly predictions before you can submit any fish :think: or at least to qualify for the 5 bonus points

spudgun
Reel Master

Postby spudgun » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:48 pm

Big Kev wrote:I take it you must have submitted your monthly predictions before you can submit any fish :think: or at least to qualify for the 5 bonus points

Was thinking of a week after you have submitted your predictions to qualify for the 5 bonus points. This would rule out any cheating but then I wasn't sure as it's done on trust anyway.

But then again you are all scousers. :lol:

Would like to get all the predictions in so I can post them up. Still waiting for Prawn to amend mine. :roll: Probably needed too much re-writing. :lol:

Gadus morhua
Merlangius merlangus
Limanda limanda
Scyliorhinus canicula
Pthirus pubis
Chlamydia trachomatis

Brian900
Obsessed Poster

Postby Brian900 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:10 pm

spudgun wrote:
Big Kev wrote:I take it you must have submitted your monthly predictions before you can submit any fish :think: or at least to qualify for the 5 bonus points

Was thinking of a week after you have submitted your predictions to qualify for the 5 bonus points. This would rule out any cheating but then I wasn't sure as it's done on trust anyway.

Would like to get all the predictions in so I can post them up. Still waiting for Prawn to amend mine. :roll: Probably needed too much re-writing. :lol:

Totally lost me :oops:

5 points for each one you get right or 5 points if you get every prediction right?

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:24 pm

Brian900 wrote:
spudgun wrote:

5 points for each one you get right or 5 points if you get every prediction right?

Google has just crashed trying to work out the rules. :lol: :lol:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:33 pm

Brian900 wrote:
spudgun wrote:

If you say your team can get a conger in March then providing no-one else has caught one by then and your team is the first to catch one then you get 5 bonus points....if someone else catches one in Feb then your prediction of March means nothing :lol:

Brian900
Obsessed Poster

Postby Brian900 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:42 pm

How long before I have to get them in?
Need a bit of time to think :think:

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:44 pm

spudgun wrote:

The game started on Jan 1st,but you only re-introduced the 5 point bonus rule on Jan1st,so if you had to have your predictions in 1 week before you could submit any fish then the game could not have started on Jan 1st :roll: As long as you have your predictions in before you target a species then i would`nt see a problem...it`s up to everyone to get their bottoms in gear,like Team America did :lol:

Brian900
Obsessed Poster

Postby Brian900 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:14 pm

Jon did not put it in the rules

spudgun
Reel Master

Postby spudgun » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:39 pm

Steve Duffy wrote:
Google has just crashed trying to work out the rules. :lol: :lol:

Google must be powered by tramps champagne too. :lol:

Gadus morhua
Merlangius merlangus
Limanda limanda
Scyliorhinus canicula
Pthirus pubis
Chlamydia trachomatis

spudgun
Reel Master

Postby spudgun » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:46 pm

Brian900 wrote:How long before I have to get them in?
Need a bit of time to think :think:

What you waiting for your next fishing session? :lol:

I reckon have your prediction in by 15th Jan (this year :lol: ) then whoever joins after just looses out on that part of the comp but can still join in.

Gadus morhua
Merlangius merlangus
Limanda limanda
Scyliorhinus canicula
Pthirus pubis
Chlamydia trachomatis

Return to “Specimen Trophy 2012”