which long casting reel?

Use this section for all your reel questions
Axel Baer

which long casting reel?

Postby Axel Baer » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:59 am

Hi. I'm recently retired & have decided to start fishing as I have lots of spare time and live not far from the coast in The Wirral. I have bought a 13` Bison travel rod which I think will also be ideal for weekends away fishing. The problem I'm having is choosing a reel. I have about £100 budget but the quality is my main concern. I'm happy for a cheap reel but I've learnt quality doesn't come cheap. I have been advised to buy a long cast surf reel but I really don't know what to get as the choice is enormous and I'm totally baffled by the jargon including the size of reels!(What is meant by 5000,10000 etc?) As far as I can tell no two makes of reel correspond with each other! Finally, any recommendations on line. Is braided line preferable to the usual type of line? Thank you for any advice. Axel.

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: which long casting reel?

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:05 am

Firstly don't buy cheap.With a £100 you won't go far wrong with a Penn Surfblaster type of reel.Easy to use,no bird nests to worry about.I use Penn reels.A 1000 people will come along soon and tell you to use something else.I have been using my Penn reels for nearly 4 years without any trouble.I rarely get my multipliers out of the box these days.If you stick with the sea fishing you would probably do well to switch to a proper beachcaster and that opens another can of worms. :lol: :lol:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

golfer
Regular Poster

Postby golfer » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:27 am

I totally agree with steve,
you wont go wrong with a surfblaster 7000
gary

davie495
Obsessed Poster

Postby davie495 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:15 am

Akios Airloop looks a peach....

:thumbsup:
Stu

2018 Species:[12] Cod, Ting, Dab, Huss, LSD, Flounder, Smoothound, Garfish, Pollock, Mackerel, Pout, Eel

2017:[24]
2016:[14]

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:37 am

golfer wrote:I totally agree with steve,
you wont go wrong with a surfblaster 7000

My reel of choice. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:38 am

davie495 wrote:Akios Airloop looks a peach....

:thumbsup:

Indeed it is Stu. :thumbsup:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

Axel Baer

Postby Axel Baer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:01 am

Thank you guys for all the advice and recommendations. After watching loads of video reviews and much deliberation, I have finally come to a decision. I thought both the Penn & Akios were extremely nice reels. I couldn't really find one bad review from the dozens I read and watched, but I've decided to go for the Akios but only because I found the Penn seemed a bit on the big size and I'm looking for something compact. I don't really want to be hauling tonnes of gear around on Buses & Trains as I no longer drive, hence buying the travel rod. Thanks again. Regards, Axel.

davie495
Obsessed Poster

Postby davie495 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:13 am

Give Godders on this site a nudge on this site a nudge for the reel if you havnt bought it yet!
Stu

2018 Species:[12] Cod, Ting, Dab, Huss, LSD, Flounder, Smoothound, Garfish, Pollock, Mackerel, Pout, Eel

2017:[24]
2016:[14]

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi Axel

I can certainly help you out if you're after an Akios Airloop :thumbsup:

Cheers.
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

Return to “The Reel Room”