Advice on multiplier reels.

Use this section for all your reel questions
manchesterangler
Regular Poster

Advice on multiplier reels.

Postby manchesterangler » Sun May 14, 2017 5:29 pm

Hi Guys,
I'm determined to become proficient using a multiplier reel, so I've set myself a challenge over the summer months.

First I need to treat myself to a good quality reel. I've currently got a Daiwa SLSH that I really don't get on with. If I put any power into a cast I end up with a birds nest. I've got my eye on two Penn reels, the Mag 2 and Fathom FTH15.

Any advice on reel choice would be very welcome.

Also any pearls of wisdom on types of line and BS / diameter would also be very welcome. I've found 18lb line easier to cast than thinner 0.35 mm (15lb).

Needless to say I'll be fishing the Mersey.

Cheers

Andy.

whistleing sands
Obsessed Poster

Re: Advice on multiplier reels.

Postby whistleing sands » Sun May 14, 2017 6:24 pm

you have half explained your problem yourself.

the slosh can be a good casting reel if used right i have them / the penn reels have magnets to slow the cast down which in turn can reduce your distance
plus the controls are very temperamental to get the spool in free running for max distance.

the reason you are not getting on with the multipliers you have is probably down to 2 things not setting the reels up to your particular ability to cast with them.
and the old mistake that every one of us has made when trying to improve our distance / is generating more power into the cast rather than concentrating on our style and timing.

yes a good out and out casting reel will help but you have to be able to use them first

the smoother the style and the all important timing the further you will cast regardless of the power you put in.

it's like everything in life some people are just good at certain things / others are not ?

other way of improving distance are.

cating stance and style / the best one if you are wanting extra distance is the off the ground cast with the lead laid out under the rod butt by your feet / see youtube this will give almost every angler extra distance straight away without any power put into it plus its a far more smoother cast hence you should stop the over runs.
lines we use.
and better ways of attaching a leader if you use one as a clumsy knot hinders the distance.
aerodynamic rigs.

and once you have sorted your casting style out a good reel to start increasing your distance further is the daiwa millionaire reel reason i say this is if you do get a bit carried away with a cast the spool has a roll back on it preventing the dreaded bird's nest end of session problem.

hope this will help you before spending out money.

Old Penn
Regular Poster

Postby Old Penn » Mon May 15, 2017 7:03 am

Got to agree with Whistling Sands-90%+ of the backlash problem lies with your technique-the power must be smoothly applied,not rushed or thrashed in any way.You would be way better off spending ££ on casting instruction rather than a new reel.

manchesterangler
Regular Poster

Postby manchesterangler » Mon May 15, 2017 7:50 am

Thank you very much for your time and effort in writing such a comprehensive reply.

I feared it might be down to my casting style as I have been a coarse angler for over thirty odd years. My casting style has developed through casting lighter weights (1oz to 3oz) on fixed spool reels. Therefore my casting style is snappy, a fast punchier cast whereby the lighter carbon blanks bend quickly into the lighter load weights.

It is for this reason why I bought one of the early long conti rods (Shakespeare K2 Red Metal) back in 2009. It has served me well the conti rod / fixed spool set up casting off the ground as you described.

The distance cast isn't an issue for me (90 to 100 metres) is as long a cast as I generally need, a cast I'm already able to do with my current set up.

I really feel long rods / fixed spool with braid line works very well in a lot of fishing situations on the Mersey. However, I'm not convinced of the effectiveness of the long rod / fixed spool with mono. In my opinion it effects the distance of the cast.

The other reason for wanting to add multiplier reels into my sea fishing is the reel position on the rod. Allowing low fitting on the rod butt enables the rod butt to be trapped comfortably on your hip. A fixed spool rod with its high reel position means the rod handle is either lay on your forearm (coarse fishing style) or in between your legs if you have short arms like me!

So basically you would recommend a good mag reel and concentrate more closely on changing my casting style from punchy to a smooth with progressive power.

Thanks again and I hope this thread has been of some use for other coarse anglers who have migrated across to sea angling :)

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon May 15, 2017 7:59 am

You wouldn't go far wrong with an Abu 6500 or a Akios shuttle.Everyone has there own opinions but thats what I use.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

manchesterangler
Regular Poster

Postby manchesterangler » Mon May 15, 2017 11:15 am

Yes the thread could go on for ever with everyone's personal preferences, although I feel anyone of the following might do me well with an improved casting technique.

Daiwa Millionaire 7HT Mag
Abu 6500CT Mag
Okuma ALC Mag
Penn Mag 2

Now's the time to make a commitment and part with some money for a multiplier rod and reel set up.

Dare I mention favorite rods :thumbsup: .

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon May 15, 2017 1:19 pm

manchesterangler wrote:Yes the thread could go on for ever with everyone's personal preferences, although I feel anyone of the following might do me well with an improved casting technique.

Daiwa Millionaire 7HT Mag
Abu 6500CT Mag
Okuma ALC Mag
Penn Mag 2

Now's the time to make a commitment and part with some money for a multiplier rod and reel set up.

Dare I mention favorite rods :thumbsup: .

If the Penn Mag 2 is like the original 525 mag it will be a bit of a beast.I've always had to use max mags on my 525's
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Brian900
Obsessed Poster

Postby Brian900 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:35 pm

You will have to meet up with me Andy when I am out I will lend you a pen mag 2 and a 7ht mag to try out.

Old Penn
Regular Poster

Postby Old Penn » Tue May 16, 2017 3:34 pm

Original black 7ht is a good choice,lighter and can stand a bit more "neglect" than the 6500 series.

manchesterangler
Regular Poster

Postby manchesterangler » Wed May 17, 2017 2:54 pm

Just come off the playing fields after doing some casting practice, very interesting data.

How far do you really think you can cast? Got an answer in your head, then take that answer with you and your rod onto a playing field.

I thought my best cast was around 80 to 90 metres after doing some casting practice a good few years ago.

My new data has shown that my technique must have improved a little as I'm now consistently hitting the 100 metre mark. What was interesting was how a 13 foot fixed spool rod performed against a 14 foot continental rod. The conti rod cast with ease a 6oz lead (off the ground cast) to the 100 metre mark. Whereby the standard 13 foot fixed spool eventually hit the 100 metre mark with more power and practice.

I had over 15 casts with the SLSH multi on a 12 foot estuary (2 to 4 oz) multi rod. I had three minor over runs, which were easily dealt with. I applied lots of thumb pressure during the cast on the spool in an effort to maintain a manageable speed. The casting session has lifted my confidence and I reckon with a mag reel I will be OK. The SLSH still doesn't fill me with confidence but an OTG cast produced a smoother cast than the over head thumb I was doing previously.

I struggled with distance due to me trying to control the speed of the spool. Managed distances of 40 to 55 metres with a 4oz lead and the estuary rod

I love the low reel position a multiplier reel offers and I'm going to press on and buy a quality mag reel.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Andy

Bobdeniro2
Obsessed Poster

Postby Bobdeniro2 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:02 pm

Some good advice from others above and everyone has there own favourites. My first multi after moving over from coarse fishing about 7 years ago, was the Penn525 Mag 2, which I have been using regularly since and had no problems with, feels solid and no problems with overruns and would highly recommend. The new price has dropped quite a bit recently too so I'd say it was good value too if the latest are as good. I've been using an unmagged Daiwa 7HT too the last couple of years for clean beach fishing, lovely feel and casts a good distance but doesn't like very short casts and can overrun if not watched, although such a nice reel to use I'll persevere with it :thumbsup:
2018: Codling, Dogfish, Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Pollack, Rockling, Starry Smoothhound, Tope, Whiting,

Paul Argent
Obsessed Poster

Postby Paul Argent » Wed May 17, 2017 8:15 pm

Have to agree with most of the comments above 7HT mag or ABU 6500 are both good choices, with regards to line, try Nite Christal in 18lb b/s .35 it's nice and soft and flexible and helps when distance casting, along with an appropriate shock leader with a quality small tight knot as not catch the eyes on your rod when casting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Paul Argent
Obsessed Poster

Postby Paul Argent » Wed May 17, 2017 8:17 pm

Sorry not Christal (preempt text) Sakuma Nite Crystal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi Andy.

If you go for any of the mag reels mentioned, Penn 525 Mag, Daiwa 7HT Mag, Akios 656 CTM or Abu 6500 Mag Elite, you will have a very controllable reel.

Spend some time learning how to set the reels up and you will be able to configure them to suit your casting ability and weather conditions. YouTube is a great source of info and you'll soon get to grips with the different methods of tuning and controlling your reel. Set up properly none of these reels will require thumbing mid cast.

Let us know which reel you decide to go for and what you make of it once you've had a few chucks with it :thumbsup:
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Wed May 17, 2017 10:34 pm

After many years of listening to advice I now find it easier to use a crab net. :lol: :lol: :lol:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

Return to “The Reel Room”