45%
Other
5%

Total votes: 22

Paul Argent
Super Poster

Re: POLL: What Type Of Reel Do You Use?

Postby Paul Argent » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:58 pm

Think I might have a problem collecting multipliers, any body else have similar problem with tackle !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AndyJ
WSF STUNT MAN

Postby AndyJ » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:53 pm

For me, if you want a good cheap reel, second hand, think about the Daiwa 7HT, or the "Slosh 20" - Daiwa SL20SH.
Awesome reels, dated yes, but still very good reels, easy to get on with too...

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:38 am

As often seems to be the case these days I seem to have gone the other way to many people. I'd used fixed spools since being a kid but only for coarse fishing, for use in the sea I've always used multipliers since my teens, (Just to show my age, I did have a wooden Scarborough type reel when I was about 10, I looked for it recently in my dads garage but it was unfortunately gone)

About two years ago though I decided to dabble with long rods, fixed spools and braid. Now I'm a complete convert, I find it so much easier especially fishing at night. I don't have to feed the line on watching the reel as its done, I get longer distance casts and the benefits of low diameter braid.

I have tried an Abu 7000 with 40lb braid successfully on the boat, very useful for bouncing a bait back away from the boat, and have had no problems with the braid digging in but I can't remember the last time I used a multi for shore fishing. They have all been serviced and sit in my reel storage box, I don't want to sell them as I still treasure them (Abu and Akios) but I really don't know when they will get used again.

davie495
Obsessed Poster

Postby davie495 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:24 pm

i have an abu 6500 sports mag for sale £50.

excellent reel to start messing about with - easy to cast, control

can be tuned like a rocket or slowed down easilly for a gentle lob

try or buy if you like. been serviced by Pete Coogan recently and never used since the service.
Stu

2018 Species:[7] Cod, Ting, Dab, Huss, LSD, Flounder, Smoothound

2017:[24]
2016:[14]

al/c
Regular Poster

Postby al/c » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:29 pm

i like my daiwa multis, i have a couple of 7ht mags, an original 7ht and a couple of sloshes, all good reels. sl20 x sha would be a good reel as can be used for beach, rock or even uptiding from a boat. :thumbsup: also something to remember is the rod you are using as it may be set up for multi or fixed spool.

Blue topaz
Obsessed Poster

Postby Blue topaz » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:41 pm

I prefer fixed spool for beach casting and my Shimano Ultegra 14000 is a lovely reel for that . For boat fishing I use both, but multis are fine for that using what feels more like a winch action seems more durable. Perhaps I haven't tried hard enough or I am not good enough, but multis just seem more likely to nest and without a level wind add another level of required skill whereas a fixed spool removes that risk.

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:13 pm

I use multis and fixed spool but if I was starting from new it would be fixed spool all the way.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Szabs
Obsessed Poster

Postby Szabs » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:30 pm

I stick with the trusty Chinese reel:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIAO-DE-LAI-L ... SwIQdZHrO~
:love:

Trishy
Obsessed Poster

Postby Trishy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:29 pm

Got to agree with davie 495 sportsmag great reel to learn on the multi side of it.
I personnaly use both types of reel and would never consider just using one or the other.
Pulling in big fish from deep water marks , direct drive of the multiplier all day long, casting 3 sandeel as far as i can for treble shots of dogs , again multi
casting 10 yards with a 1oz lead for flounder and eel at the blue bridge , fixed spool, casting maximum distance with braid in a comp where pendulum or power casting is banned, fixed spool
Horses for courses as they say
currently got approx 25 reels for my shore fishing most of the popular makes and i would say you get what you pay for.
favourites at the moment are the akios 656ctm and penn affinity 8000 although this can change like the weather depending on where im fishing
Good luck

Return to “The Reel Room”