Mag conversions

Use this section for all your reel questions
tony big mac
Super Poster

Mag conversions

Postby tony big mac » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:13 pm

What are the pros and cons of converting a centrifugal breaking reel over to magnetic breaking. I'm not he'll bent on doing it at the moment just after some advice. I'm totally happy with my centrifugal breaking system but I like tinkering. Will it ruin a good running reel or possibly enhance it?
The shock leaders

JIMMYJIZZMO
i love cock

Re: Mag conversions

Postby JIMMYJIZZMO » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:32 pm

What reel is it mate???
Might be better to buy one,there's
Some good deals available :dance:

tony big mac
Super Poster

Postby tony big mac » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:40 pm

Slosh 20 mate, I'm not desprite for a mag'ed reel just seen the kits quite cheap. I like tinkering with things like this and would just like some opinions if it's worth doing.
The shock leaders

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:30 pm

Alright Tony. If you mag the Sl20sh you'll have a far more controllable reel.

You can set up a reel with centrifugal brakes to suit any weather condition or casting ability...so essentially if you're looking for maximum distance you'd oil the bearing with a light oil, perhaps go down to a single brake block, and back the spool floats off so that the spool runs more freely. All fine if you're a competent caster and conditions are good, but when casting into a strong headwind even the more proficient caster could well experience overruns with such a set up.

Set it up on the safe side with thick bearing oil, both brake blocks in situ, and the spool floats set sensibly and you'll have a pretty safe reel suitable for most conditions...the downside is you'll be robbing yourself of distance when conditions are good.

A magged reel allows you to tune the reel quickly and easily to suit the weather conditions you're faced with when you're out on the beach. If conditions are calm or you have a tailwind then back the mags off and watch your lead ping away into the distance, but if you're casting into a headwind or have a strong side wind then simply whack the mags up and you have a safe reel.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

tony big mac
Super Poster

Postby tony big mac » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:30 am

That's the kind of info I was after graham. Thanks :thumbsup:
The shock leaders

tony big mac
Super Poster

Postby tony big mac » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:40 am

Thanks Liphook.
The shock leaders

Old Penn
Regular Poster

Postby Old Penn » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:43 pm

A good older reel for conversion is the Shimano Speedmaster 11cfs.Its a pretty heavy spool that runs like a dream with mag conversion.I have two and prefer the work done by Chris Macey over the blingy Black dog version.

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:08 pm

I wanted to buy the mag kit but I didn't want to jump through hoops registering , passwords,logins and all the other boll ex you had to do.FFS I just wanted to buy a bit of kit not build a nuclear reactor. Look at the likes of Veals et al.You find what you want,pay for it,delivered.Simples.These clever backside websites must lose so much custom. :confused:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Old Penn
Regular Poster

Postby Old Penn » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:44 pm

Agree with you totally,the dog site bites with its "separate" postal charges.

Old Penn
Regular Poster

Postby Old Penn » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:33 pm

Sorry it was a while back that Chris Macey converted my side plate,might be worth asking on WSF?Prefer the Macey version as it is small and neat, the black dog version gets in the way.

Return to “The Reel Room”