Spinning reels- which ones do you rate?

Use this section for all your reel questions
Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: Spinning reels- which ones do you rate?

Postby Steve Duffy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:31 pm

Shaun1118 wrote:I've had a Stradic for 2 seasons now and it runs just as smooth as it did when I got. It goes out with me on my yak so gets submerged in saltwater regular and maintence is just a hose down every now and then nothing too intimate. It feels solid, there's no 'looseness' and balances my lure outfit quite nicely, drag is nice and fluid aswel.

I'd now never buy a cheap reel or any cheap gear for that matter. That fish of a life time is the one that's going to put your gear under the most stress, if you want to chance a big fish stripping your gears and loosing said fish then that's your choice. I know all gear fails but a decent reel it's gonna take a hell of a lot more. The crank power and drag on a cheap reel is never going to match that of a decent reel and I'd bet your lidl reel weighs near double that of a Stradic.

We shall have to have a weigh in :lol: Mine and Ians reels have been cranking in tope,bass and smutts off Prestatyn for the last 3 years.What more can you ask for. :dance: :dance:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

merseyboy
Obsessed Poster

Postby merseyboy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:39 pm

What the rest of you guys using? Any Daiwa fans out there?

merseyboy
Obsessed Poster

Postby merseyboy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:33 pm

Anyone use a fixed spool reel for uptiding?

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:10 pm

merseyboy wrote:Anyone use a fixed spool reel for uptiding?

No reason why you shouldn't.I'm sure I've read an article about it.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:08 pm

I've got to own up to that one Dave.

I found it strange swopping from a multi at first but on the boat the uptide rods for customers are set up with fixed spools and when the opportunity arose I would use one. Gary uses the diawa excelsior with both mono and braid. I have never seen any problems considering the abuse they get on an almost daily basis and have found them good to use.

If I know I'm fishing though I do take my own gear and have used the Penn affinity 7000 loaded with 80lb braid and again have found it just the job. I've used this combination for over a year now and so far can't see any thing wrong with either.

merseyboy
Obsessed Poster

Postby merseyboy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:17 pm

iank wrote:

I've got to own up to that one Dave.

I found it strange swopping from a multi at first but on the boat the uptide rods for customers are set up with fixed spools and when the opportunity arose I would use one. Gary uses the diawa excelsior with both mono and braid. I have never seen any problems considering the abuse they get on an almost daily basis and have found them good to use.

If I know I'm fishing though I do take my own gear and have used the Penn affinity 7000 loaded with 80lb braid and again have found it just the job. I've used this combination for over a year now and so far can't see any thing wrong with either.

I use a Quantum Cabo fixed spool for uptiding Ian. It's got plenty of guts and is ideal for the job. I find it better for getting a bait away from the boat . Each to their own as always.. :thumbsup:

Return to “The Reel Room”