Spinning reels- which ones do you rate?

Use this section for all your reel questions
merseyboy
Obsessed Poster

Spinning reels- which ones do you rate?

Postby merseyboy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:47 pm

I've been running a Shimano Exage 3000 for two seasons now and it punches well above its weight for the price. Think I paid about £52 for it and it's been worth every penny. What are you guys using? Good and bad all info welcome. For under £60 is there anything better?

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Re: Spinning reels- which ones do you rate?

Postby wobbler72 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:05 pm

Don't think you'll get anything better for £60

If your budget can stretch a bit then it's Rareniums for me. Absolutely brilliant reels. Smooth as silk, great line lay and virtually unbreakable. I've had Bass pushing 6lb, 6lb Pollack, full houses of 1lb+ Mackerel etc on them. Never came close to letting me down. I have the 3000 and 4000 versions

I thought I was upgrading when I bought a Shimano Sustain at a bargain price 12 months ago. It's a good reel, but truth is I still prefer the Rarenium.
Kev

merseyboy
Obsessed Poster

Postby merseyboy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:47 am

Good info there Kev. Have to agree with you, I don't think there is a better reel for under £60. It's as smooth as the day I bought it. Mine has had a good soaking out on the SIB several times and has also landed plenty of 5lb+ fish in the few years I've had it.
Interesting to hear your thoughts on the Sustain. It was on my list to get a while back but when I tried one I wasn't that impressed. I ended up getting a Stradic CI4+ 4000. Very similar to the new Rarenium but with a slightly faster retrieve. It's a very light reel and ideal for bass fishing from the shore. Good handle on it to.

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:39 am

I bought 2 reels from Lidl as did IanK for £15 each.They have been used and abused for the past 2 years without fault and are still going strong.If they ever sell them again I'll be down to buy £60 worth. :thumbsup: If I could be bothered going downstairs I would be able to tell you the brand. :lol: :lol:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:09 am

Steve Duffy wrote:I bought 2 reels from Lidl as did IanK for £15 each.They have been used and abused for the past 2 years without fault and are still going strong.If they ever sell them again I'll be down to buy £60 worth. :thumbsup: If I could be bothered going downstairs I would be able to tell you the brand. :lol: :lol:

Lol

We took and "Aldi Special" rod and reel to Alderney a few years ago. Landed half a dozen Bass to around 6lb between us (rod bent double, a real hoot :lol: ) until fish number 7 stripped the gears on the reel.
Kev

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:57 am

I've got to give the lidl reels credit. I've used one on a bass rod for out on the Hoyle banks for quite some time now. I originally regarded it as disposable, it's been pretty neglected, dropped on sand, sea etc and the best it's ever had is a rinse under the outside tap and it's still going strong after maybe three years. I did buy two spares last time they had them but haven't used them yet.

My favourite, however, is a Penn spinfisher 5000. It cost a bit more than Daves but it's supposed to be built like a tank. I've used it for nearly two years for my lure fishing and it's still in great nick. It's loaded with 20lb braid and is very smooth. The only negative is that it doesn't come with a spare spool, only a braid spool as standard.
Last edited by iank on Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

merseyboy
Obsessed Poster

Postby merseyboy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:44 am

The Lidl reel sounds interesting Ian, post up a pic if you have one.
The spinfisher has a good rep from what I hear, I've not used one but it sounds ideal for off the sib and shore.

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:20 am

Here you go Dave but people will have to excuse the mess on my garage workbench and the fact that the reel in question is in its much abused position of still being attached to the rod and my garden cane rod rest that I use on the banks.

The care it gets is pretty evident as I haven't been over the banks since some time in early October. It's been used for over three years and during the 'season' two or three times a week.....

A new one bought two years ago for about £15/16.......

I'm lucky in being retired so my gear does get used a bit more than average. I reckon if I get three years out of a reel getting used two or three times a week during the late spring through until early autumn for £15 or so then I've pretty much had my money's worth but like everything it's horses for courses. If it had been looked after like my more expensive kit then it might have lasted even better.

I think I might tidy the garage and clean some gear this afternoon :oops:

merseyboy
Obsessed Poster

Postby merseyboy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:28 am

Good value for money that Ian.. Looks like it's been a good workhorse for you.. :clap: :thumbsup:

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:39 am

If anybody is after some good value product then check out this seller on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/fishingcorona ... 7675.l2562

The stuff that he's selling is Fishzone and Blackrock branded gear. Blackrock gear is pretty decent quality, Fishzone is the entry level stuff.

If you want more info on the product that he's selling, and to see the full retail prices, then here's a link to the Fishzone website:

http://www.fishzone.co.uk

I bought the 9ft 6" Blackrock Travel Lure rod for £30 (normal rrp £89.99) and it's a cracking rod for the money.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRAVEL-LURE-R ... SwPhdU51Ar

:thumbsup:
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

iank
Obsessed Poster

Postby iank » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:08 pm

Some interesting stuff there Graham. I find it amazing what we can buy cheaply, I know it doesn't compare with top end gear but it's still vastly superior to what we used and paid a lot more for years ago.

About a month ago I put up a post about a rod I paid £22 for from decathlon and was very happy with. They are now selling them for less than a tenner and while it's not something most of us would use very often it's a cracking but of kit for the price. I was in London last weekend and two pints cost more!

merseyboy
Obsessed Poster

Postby merseyboy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:02 pm

I think If your fishing from boats and wading your spinning reels are going to get wet and it pays to spend a bit more cash if you can afford it. I do most of my fishing from boats and the rods and reels see much more abuse. I recently got a new reel which is ideal as it's got seals to keep the water out and it's not got an antireverse switch which is another area which can let water in. Check out the new Stradic if your after a sealed reel, think I payed about £140 for it.

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:54 pm

Each to their own of course Dave,but for your £140 it would be possible to buy 9 Lidl reels if they ever sell them again.Given how long the Lidl reels have lasted with the absolute minimum of attention how long would they last if we could be bothered to clean and wash them.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

merseyboy
Obsessed Poster

Postby merseyboy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:03 pm

Steve Duffy wrote:Each to their own of course Dave,but for your £140 it would be possible to buy 9 Lidl reels if they ever sell them again.Given how long the Lidl reels have lasted with the absolute minimum of attention how long would they last if we could be bothered to clean and wash them.

Haha..as you say each to their own Sir!

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Postby Shaun1118 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:36 pm

I've had a Stradic for 2 seasons now and it runs just as smooth as it did when I got. It goes out with me on my yak so gets submerged in saltwater regular and maintence is just a hose down every now and then nothing too intimate. It feels solid, there's no 'looseness' and balances my lure outfit quite nicely, drag is nice and fluid aswel.

I'd now never buy a cheap reel or any cheap gear for that matter. That fish of a life time is the one that's going to put your gear under the most stress, if you want to chance a big fish stripping your gears and loosing said fish then that's your choice. I know all gear fails but a decent reel it's gonna take a hell of a lot more. The crank power and drag on a cheap reel is never going to match that of a decent reel and I'd bet your lidl reel weighs near double that of a Stradic.

Return to “The Reel Room”