Loading braid onto spool ?

Use this section for all your reel questions
zippie01
Obsessed Poster

Loading braid onto spool ?

Postby zippie01 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:11 am

Please can someone give me some braid advice ?? I've been told that I should soak the spool of braid before putting it on reel, is this right or can I spool it straight on ??
2017:Whiting,Codling,Dab

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: Loading braid onto spool ?

Postby Steve Duffy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:43 am

I do this with braid or mono. Put spool in large pan of water and run line through bottom section of rod to reel.Wind a way using thumb to control line.Putting spool in water stops the spool running out of control and it beds the line in nicely.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Tombod
Super Poster

Postby Tombod » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:47 am

Cant see any reason for soaking it Zippie, I've got it on about 8 spools some on fixed spools and some on my boat multi,s and just spooled it strait on, never ever had a problem.
I have read that some people put a bit of tape on the spool to bed the braid in to stop it slipping but mine went straight on.
Not sure about beach multi,s as I don't use them with braid.
Tom. :thumbsup:

Tombod
Super Poster

Postby Tombod » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:58 am

Steve Duffy wrote:I do this with braid or mono. Put spool in large pan of water and run line through bottom section of rod to reel.Wind a way using thumb to control line.Putting spool in water stops the spool running out of control and it beds the line in nicely.

The problem I find with that Steve is that the line doesn't come off the spool the right way and it twists in the bucket, id rather have someone hold the spool facing the right way and keep the right tension, its just the way I have always done it. but if it works for you it must be O.K. you've never had a problem. :thumbsup:

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:26 am

Tombod wrote:
Steve Duffy wrote:I do this with braid or mono. Put spool in large pan of water and run line through bottom section of rod to reel.Wind a way using thumb to control line.Putting spool in water stops the spool running out of control and it beds the line in nicely.

The problem I find with that Steve is that the line doesn't come off the spool the right way and it twists in the bucket, id rather have someone hold the spool facing the right way and keep the right tension, its just the way I have always done it. but if it works for you it must be O.K. you've never had a problem. :thumbsup:

Never had any problem Tom.I find the line finds the right way that it wants to come off the spool.I saw a demo of it years ago on line and I've done it that way ever since.I also add a bit of washing up liquid to the water as this helps to degrease the mono or braid.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

Tombod
Super Poster

Postby Tombod » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:37 am

Steve Duffy wrote:
Tombod wrote:

Never had any problem Tom.I find the line finds the right way that it wants to come off the spool.I saw a demo of it years ago on line and I've done it that way ever since.I also add a bit of washing up liquid to the water as this helps to degrease the mono or braid.

:thumbsup:

zippie01
Obsessed Poster

Postby zippie01 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:57 am

Cheers guys.

Someone else has told me, as well as soaking the line, reel it onto one spool first then onto the spool I want to use, so the line goes on the reel like it was on the spool !!! :? :?

I suppose different people have different methods !

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:03 am

zippie01 wrote:Cheers guys.

Someone else has told me, as well as soaking the line, reel it onto one spool first then onto the spool I want to use, so the line goes on the reel like it was on the spool !!! :? :?

I suppose different people have different methods !

Simple is best.......a bit like me. :lol:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

Shaun1118
Sapper McMan !!!

Postby Shaun1118 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:48 pm

I use the bucket of water method for braid As I think it helps to with getting the braid to bed down tight. I use my hand that supports the rod to keep tension on the line by wearing a soft glove and running the braid between my fingers. Spools without some sort of 'key' to grip the braid will need backing of some sort, on a spinning reel I just use one turn of electrical tape and on larger spools I just use the last bit of mono on a spool.

For mono I get someone to the spool.

tatch1
Obsessed Poster

Postby tatch1 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:40 pm

No need to soak it just make sure its wound on tight a bit of very good info on loading brad here http://www.avetreels.net/BRAIDED_LINE_PRECAUTIONS.html

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:46 pm

tatch1 wrote:No need to soak it just make sure its wound on tight a bit of very good info on loading brad here http://www.avetreels.net/BRAIDED_LINE_PRECAUTIONS.html

I agree Tatch,no need to soak it,but putting it in a pan of water helps to control it if you're on yer own.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

Bobdeniro2
Obsessed Poster

Postby Bobdeniro2 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:34 pm

Don't forget to stand on one leg while doing it though :lol:
2018: Codling, Dogfish, Dab, Flounder, Plaice, Pollack, Rockling, Starry Smoothhound, Tope, Whiting,

tatch1
Obsessed Poster

Postby tatch1 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:59 pm

Bobdeniro2 wrote:Don't forget to stand on one leg while doing it though :lol:

Aye must be the middle leg though ;)

zippie01
Obsessed Poster

Postby zippie01 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:52 pm

I managed to get it done last night. Soaked in soapy water then spooled on (after tying through holes provided on Penn braid reel) using one of these !!

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:35 pm

Far too posh for this site. :lol:
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB

Return to “The Reel Room”