Saltist bg 20

Use this section for all your reel questions
davie495
Obsessed Poster

Saltist bg 20

Postby davie495 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:19 pm

afternoon gents,

been perusing for a new boat reel/ uptide and come to the conculsion that the diawa saltist bg20 will take some beating... my question however is that of a purchase one...

1. get from the UK (for example Veals MO) for £170 or...
2. ebay from the US for $170 (thats only £110 on todays exchange rate) with £15 delivery...

:confused:

has anyone shipped from the US? is it worth the punt (granted i can use M/card which will give me some insurance)

oh and finally - anyone got one and is it as good as it reads?

cheers

Stu
Stu

2018 Species:[7] Cod, Ting, Dab, Huss, LSD, Flounder, Smoothound

2017:[24]
2016:[14]

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Re: Saltist bg 20

Postby Godders123 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:38 pm

You shouldn't have any issues ordering from overseas via eBay. I've bought and sold overseas on eBay for years without any major issues. If it doesn't arrive then you simply raise a dispute and you will recover your funds - the seller would need to provide signed proof of delivery to fight the claim.

The only issue with ordering from overseas is if you happen to change your mind and ask to return it. In that instance you will need to cover the return postage costs.

I don't have any experience of the reel though I'm sure somebody on here will have.
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:40 pm

You might get stung for import tax.The reel will not be delivered by P.O until tax is paid.Have heard of people asking for a item to be sent as a gift.This can cause more problems than its worth.The last time I went to the states I bought what I wanted and put it in my case with all the packing removed.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

davie495
Obsessed Poster

Postby davie495 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:46 pm

hmmm...

need to do some maths here... just read this

If you buy goods online from outside the EU for delivery to the UK, you’ll have to pay Customs Duty (if over £120 value) and Import VAT (if over £18) on top of the purchase price (including duties), though Customs Duty is waived if the amount of the calculated duty payable is £7 or less. Please note there is also an £8 Parcel Force Fee for collecting the Import VAT.

wonder if Veals will do a price match :doubt:
Stu

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:59 pm

Good point re duty Steve :thumbsup: most of the things I've bought and sold have been under £100.

I've never had any issues where items have been sent as "a gift" though. Most of the stuff I order from the Far East is sent as such. Tends to be much lower value stuff though to be fair.
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

merseyboy
Obsessed Poster

Postby merseyboy » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:21 pm

I imported a reel from the US a few years back. It was fairly painless and I paid the duty when I collected the reel from the post office. It took about two weeks to arrive if I remember correctly.
Nowadays I try to buy my gear from tackle shops. I'm a good customer of Gerrys and Chris has always seen me right with prices. Its always good to be able to pop into a store a check out the gear before splashing the cash. I give them my custom and I pay a fair price for the gear.

wobbler72
Obsessed Poster

Postby wobbler72 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:26 pm

I've tried a mates BG 30 casting from the shore. Casts like a dream and sooo smooth on the retrieve. I was impressed. I would certainly be on my list if I needed another rough ground reel or light boat reel.

Almost bought one in fact back in August while I was in Alderney, where it's VAT free.
Kev

davie495
Obsessed Poster

Postby davie495 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:39 pm

140 quid ABC in Beaumaris! Bosh
Stu

Trishy
Obsessed Poster

Postby Trishy » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:57 pm

davie495 wrote:140 quid ABC in Beaumaris! Bosh

Very few shops beat Malcolm on price

Tombod
Super Poster

Postby Tombod » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:15 am

A couple of years ago I ordered two dozen goose decoys from Cabela's in the states, thought they were a great price.
When they eventually arrived they had been opened by the customs and stuck back in any old way.
They had calculated the price and postage added custom duty totalled it all together then added V.A.T.
It didn't work out much cheaper in the end.
I,d go with what the lads say. give Malc, a ring :thumbsup:

Return to “The Reel Room”