New Reel and Rod advice please!!

Use this section for all your reel questions
merseyparadise
Super Poster

Postby merseyparadise » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:25 pm

Ok, I've been fishing properly for about a year now. I'm currently using a Penn Sargus 8000 on a Shakespeare Agility Rod and a Captiva II on a bass ugly stik. Both have worked out ok while I've found my feet but I'd like to upgrade now to a multiplier and a better rid.

I have a budget of about £180 but could stretch further.

I was thinking of an Abu 6500 C3 CT Mag Elite, is this going to take alot of getting used to or am I better getting something less 'bling' and more basic?

Secondly, for a rod one got my eye on an Abu Garcia Esprit Beachcaster for 90. Can anyone give me a bit of info on it if they've used one, or can recommend something that works well with a multiplier. I'll be using it on both sides of the Mersey (Rock Channel, VP,THS, Mariners, Otterspool) as well as rough ground in Wales from time to time.

As always, thanks in advance.

Ste
I fish because I love to.... not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant and not nearly so much fun.

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Re: New Reel and Rod advice please!!

Postby Steve Duffy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:32 pm

The Abu is bombproof.Can't be beaten.Can't help with rods.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

merseyparadise
Super Poster

Postby merseyparadise » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:01 pm

I've seen a Premium Mag Elite second hand for eighty quid, is there much difference in the Premium?
I fish because I love to.... not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant and not nearly so much fun.

Steve Duffy
has crabs

Postby Steve Duffy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:03 pm

Not much.Maybe fancy colours and letters.Abu's are the best reels to start on.
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
AGNB
Thats bang out of order !

Species--- Bass,ray,smoothhound,starry smoothhound,plaice,flounder,dab,LSD,huss,whiting,coddling,mackeral,pout,pollock.

merseyparadise
Super Poster

Postby merseyparadise » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:10 pm

Not bothered how it looks, Sold on the Abu reel now.

Just need a new rod.

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:43 pm

For what it's worth, I've been an "Abu man" all my life and never really had reason to consider another brand. However, I'd read numerous glowing reviews about the Akios 656 CTM and the Akios Shuttles and so when a nicely priced second hander 656CTM came up on ebay I bought it to try it out. I've since sold two of my Abu's Mag Elites and have bought another Akios.

The reports I'd read suggested that the Akios had the edge on the Abu Mag Elites in terms of casting performance. Personally I'd say they were on a par, both are excellent casting machines and very controllable due to the mag brakes.

The reason for my preference for the Akios is the gearing. Under load, typically when hauling in huge balls of weed but also when there's a half decent fish on the end, the Abu's can lock up and you have to resort to pumping on the retrieve - lifting the rod and reeling in the slack. Not overly problematic when it's weed that's being dragged in but when there's a fish on the end the erratic retrieve can lead to losses. In fact, the final straw for me was when my Mag Elite locked up when pulling in a doggy over rough ground during a match on HHBW causing me to loose the fish and my gear. The Akios 656's have noticeably stronger gearing, they also have a ratchet/clicker/line alarm (call it what you may) which is also useful when targeting hounds/rays etc that tend to take your gear (and your rod) on a bit of a run.

You'll pick up a second hand Akios 656 CTM for the same price as an Abu Mag Elite (£65-70 would be a good price for one in very good condition) though second handers aren't as abundant as Abu Mag Elites, and so you may need to be patient but you'll have a far better reel.

Apologies if I've fueled your quandary!
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:49 pm

merseyparadise wrote:I've seen a Premium Mag Elite second hand for eighty quid, is there much difference in the Premium?

P.s if you've seen this on eBay it'll probably be mine and I take everything back, they're fantastic reels, worth every penny!! :badgrin: :badgrin:
Graham

2017 Species [21]: Flounder, Conger, Bull Huss, Codling, Whiting, Dab, Dogfish, Plaice, Mackerel, Ballan Wrasse, Pollack, Smoothhound, Thornie, Eel, Sole, Bass, Garfish, Cuckoo Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Goldsinny Wrasse, LS Sea Scorpion

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

AndyJ
WSF STUNT MAN

Postby AndyJ » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:34 pm

If your fancying the Abu Esprit, again for what it's worth, I have one of these rods and it's a great rod, a good "soft" rod, so will be easy to learn with too... I think it's rated to cast 4 to 8oz, not a massive distance hitter, but a good fishing rod...
I've had mine about 8 years, don't use it as much nowadays, but yeh, had some great sessions with it...
Hope this is of some use,
Andy

merseyparadise
Super Poster

Postby merseyparadise » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:53 pm

Cheers fellas. I've seen an Akios 656 CTM S line on Ebay for about £100. That's new too. Gonna have a closer look at that and make my mind up over the weekend. Heard good things about them.

Godders123
Front Page Meister

Postby Godders123 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:48 am

Unless you're in a rush I'd hold on. It's possible to pick them up in 'as new' condition for a much better price.
Graham

Akios-Superstore.co.uk

Big Kev
The Masterful One

Postby Big Kev » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:23 am

Good write up Graham....i`m a big Abu fan but think i`ll try the Akios for my next purchase ;)
Species 2018...Dab...Whiting...Cod...bass...dogfish...flounder...plaice...thornback ray...smoothound ...turbot...small eyed ray

Willpower
Obsessed Poster

Postby Willpower » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:29 am

Fishing buddy has been using a Akios 767 (bought new) for almost 2 years now with no problems at all. It looks and performs just like a Abu (and having a cheeky peek inside the reel it looks like a Abu copy), so I'm thinking of treating myself to one for Christmas. When you way up the cost of a new reel (his cost £99), you have to admit that broken down over the 24 months he's had it, it now owes him nothing, so I'd will definitely be buying new.

Return to “The Reel Room”